Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear Shocks

Old 08-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Shocks

Need to figure out what I'm doing in the rear of my truck with the lift.
Have Icons and Tc ucas up front. Think I'm going to do a Icon 1.5" 3 leaf pack
for the back.

Now with the shocks, I was going to buy 5100's for the rear. In regards to ride quality, is there a better shock that I should buy for the rear? Or is the quality of the ride going to be determined by what I do with my leafs? So then the shocks that I buy won't really matter.

I remember reading a recent thread where the guy complained about a harsh ride with the 5100's. So just wondering if there is a better rear shock that will give me a better ride. I won't be offroading much, so I would prefer a really good ride.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated

Edit: I know that a 1.5" 3 leaf pack won't give me the best ride, but I can't justify spending
600 - 700 for a whole new leaf pack.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
The 5100s are a great shock. The ICON Remote-Res shocks are also really Nice. The OME shocks probably have the softest valving though and are going to provide the plushest ride. Especially when the truck is unloaded.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
i got icons in the front and their leaf pack... i also got 5100s in the rear and regreting it right now. i will be replacing them with the icon resi next month to complete the icon set up. the icons are so nice that my 5100s cant keep up with it.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
GEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KELLEN
GEARAHOLIC's Tacoma Gallery
Im running pro comp MX6-R in the back of my yoter...6 way adjustable remote resivor....plush baby, real real plush

Old 08-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I was thinking about the OME rear shocks. What part number are they?
Or, the Icon rear resi shocks. But in terms of ride quality, is there a big difference in the Icons rear resi shocks and the 5100/ome's?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
tacotown73 will become famous soon enough

tacotown73's Tacoma Gallery
Canadianboy - I'm in the same boat; trying to figure out how to set up the rear of my truck.

I spoke with ICON directly regarding their 3 leaf pack and they told me that if I plan on hauling / towing they are not a good choice. They are built to improve the overall ride and performance on and offroad, not for hauling / towing.

I'm not sure what the plan is for your truck, but I though I would through that out there.

In my case, I plan on doing some towing so this is not an option for me. I'm currently looking at the OME Dakar setup; however, they provide a 2.75" lift which is too high for my needs. I'm told you can remove the third leaf to reduce the height, I just don't know how it affects the load carrying capacity. Maybe the folks at Wheeler can provide some insight here. Alcan is starting to look good at this point... other then the price tag.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #7

Another thing to keep in mind when getting advice from people on these forums is where they are coming from. Some people are hardcore offroaders that work their trucks, some people are mall crawlers and will never let their trucks touch dirt, and many are somewhere in between. You really need to take peoples advice with a grain of salt and decide what works best for you.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought the leaf pack from All Pro. They offer a 1.5" and a 3" leaf pack. i got the 3" since I am running 33" tires. But this is a great ride! You just swap out your whole stock leafs. I love the ride. For the rear, I have OME shocks. They are very soft and give a nice ride. If you want them for mainly street they are a great choice. I plan on selling mine though because I do a lot of offroading and would like to get the adjustable fox rears.

And by the way, the All Pro leaf packs are only like $370 or something like that compared to the 6 or 7 hundred. And when they go on sale they are like $320.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotown73 View Post
Another thing to keep in mind when getting advice from people on these forums is where they are coming from. Some people are hardcore offroaders that work their trucks, some people are mall crawlers and will never let their trucks touch dirt, and many are somewhere in between. You really need to take peoples advice with a grain of salt and decide what works best for you.
I would take our advice much more serious. We have been there and done that type of thing.

This is why most of the time when someone asks a question like this we ask "What will be the purpose of the lift/tires/shocks/ and so forth. That way we can better answer their question.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
I would take our advice much more serious. We have been there and done that type of thing.
I take advice here very seriously. I'm just saying you need to know where people are coming from when they give advice.

Quote:
This is why most of the time when someone asks a question like this we ask "What will be the purpose of the lift/tires/shocks/ and so forth. That way we can better answer their question.
Most people (not all) don't ask more specific questions about an application; they just give advice on what they have experience with... as you did in your first post. Obviously you are someone who likes to offroad their truck; offering advice on the All Pro leaf packs (made specifically for ride quality and flex; NOT for weight carrying capability).

I'm just saying the OP should take your advice with a grain of salt, because ultimately he needs to decide if setting up his rig like yours makes sense or not.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
OP, check out the end of this thread.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ilovers-4.html

I was/still am in the same boat as you. I while back I came across this thread and asked bajamoon about his experiance with the icons. I'm sure you can PM him if you'd like. I personally would have to hear alot more great things about the icons before I paid the extra money over the bilstiens for them.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
Taco love in East Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
OP, check out the end of this thread.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ilovers-4.html

I was/still am in the same boat as you. I while back I came across this thread and asked bajamoon about his experiance with the icons. I'm sure you can PM him if you'd like. I personally would have to hear alot more great things about the icons before I paid the extra money over the bilstiens for them.
Yeah I read that too. It made me really question getting the icon shocks for the rear.

I'm really not sure what I'm gonna do, but I want to hurry up and make a decision so I can get everything installed.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
Taco love in East Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotown73 View Post
Canadianboy - I'm in the same boat; trying to figure out how to set up the rear of my truck.

I spoke with ICON directly regarding their 3 leaf pack and they told me that if I plan on hauling / towing they are not a good choice. They are built to improve the overall ride and performance on and offroad, not for hauling / towing.

I'm not sure what the plan is for your truck, but I though I would through that out there.

In my case, I plan on doing some towing so this is not an option for me. I'm currently looking at the OME Dakar setup; however, they provide a 2.75" lift which is too high for my needs. I'm told you can remove the third leaf to reduce the height, I just don't know how it affects the load carrying capacity. Maybe the folks at Wheeler can provide some insight here. Alcan is starting to look good at this point... other then the price tag.
Yeah I was thinking about the Dakars and taking out a leaf. This or an All pro leaf pack and some OME shocks, I'm going to look into this.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #14
Taco love in East Van

http://www.oldmanemu.com/item.html?pid=2142

Are these the right Dakars I would buy? I don't want 2.75" of lift in the rear, about 1.5" will do. How hard is it to take 1 leaf out?

How would ride quality compare with the Dakars (minus 1 leaf) to the Icon 1.5" 3 leaf pack?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #15
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
At the moment I'm running a pair of SAW racerunners in the rear w/ stock leafs + an AAL. A pair of All-Pro 1.5" leafs are soon to come though.

The ride is no doubt a huge improvement off road, although I'm not sure they would be the best for someone who is just going to stick to the road. A bit over kill, although you could have them valved how ever you like. Heres a cell phone pic of the racerunners.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #16
eddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant future
Name: Eddie
eddieEndo's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to eddieEndo
how do you guys feel about deavers in the back? that is the route i was considering going
Old 08-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just bought the leaf pack from All Pro. They offer a 1.5" and a 3" leaf pack. i got the 3" since I am running 33" tires. But this is a great ride! You just swap out your whole stock leafs. I love the ride. For the rear, I have OME shocks. They are very soft and give a nice ride. If you want them for mainly street they are a great choice. I plan on selling mine though because I do a lot of offroading and would like to get the adjustable fox rears.

And by the way, the All Pro leaf packs are only like $370 or something like that compared to the 6 or 7 hundred. And when they go on sale they are like $320.

Are the Fox adjustable rear resi shocks available yet for our trucks. I can not find them for sale.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #20
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianboy View Post
http://www.oldmanemu.com/item.html?pid=2142

Are these the right Dakars I would buy? I don't want 2.75" of lift in the rear, about 1.5" will do. How hard is it to take 1 leaf out?

How would ride quality compare with the Dakars (minus 1 leaf) to the Icon 1.5" 3 leaf pack?
I know I read it somewhere, most likley toyotanation, someone removed thier third leaf and posted lift specs. I can't remember what they were exactly, but it concreted my decision to do the same with my leaf set up. If I were you just do a few searches over there for this question and you'll find it. I'm not a member over there so you wont have to sign up just to search. Let me know if you have trouble finding it, I'm always looking for an excuse to do some tacoma research