Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME vs alternative option

Old 08-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
OME vs alternative option

I'm getting ready to buy a lift. I've read a lot and did a lot of searching. I know the OME is a good kit. But, Ive priced out an alternative non-packaged option. let me know what you think.

Billy 5100 set to 2.5" $199.99
Toytec 3/4" Spacer $59.99
LR UCA $449.99
1.5" AAL $79.99

Subtotal $789.96 VS $729.99(OME / with spacer)

thats 59.97$ more for the custom option. You lose new rear shocks which can be added later but get UCAs. Personally I'm leaning to the Custom setup. but, are there some issues with these choices? are the UCA completely unneeded? If theres no chance i need the UCA then i will choose the OME. but, I've been reading a lot that its hit or miss on 3" of lift.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
r12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant future
r12rex's Tacoma Gallery
Many people, like myself, do not use the UCA. Caster is the only spec off and it causes more wandering AKA following of the road...it's tolerable, but I'll likely purchase a set later down the road.

Personally I would go with the OME kit, it's an awesome package and will ride better than the custom package you came up with. Currently have the 5100s set to 2.5 and the ride is fine, but still not very satisfied due to stiffness of the compressed OEM spring. I just purchased a set of rear OME shocks and will be doing the front with 885 springs and UCA to finish off the suspension.

Do it right the first time so you don't spend more money down the road.

Kind Regards,
Ryan
Old 08-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by r12rex View Post
Many people, like myself, do not use the UCA. Caster is the only spec off and it causes more wandering AKA following of the road...it's tolerable, but I'll likely purchase a set later down the road.

Personally I would go with the OME kit, it's an awesome package and will ride better than the custom package you came up with. Currently have the 5100s set to 2.5 and the ride is fine, but still not very satisfied due to stiffness of the compressed OEM spring. I just purchased a set of rear OME shocks and will be doing the front with 885 springs and UCA to finish off the suspension.

Do it right the first time so you don't spend more money down the road.

Kind Regards,
Ryan
So OME then add the UCAs later down the road?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunnerSeth View Post
That's my plan.

I'll add the UCA's if necessary.

And yeah...I'm going with the 885's instead of the compressed OEM's because I have heard from enough sources that it will be a softer ride. My ass and wife will both thank me down the road.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
I have 5100 set at 0 and 885 springs my caster is damn near close within spec but not ideal I have stock ucas... I plan to get some ucas eventually
Old 08-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
r12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant future
r12rex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's what I would do. Honestly, some people don't even need it. Why spend the $500 if you're more than satisfied with the lift and the way it drives?

I say go with the OME first, if you feel you need the UCA, get them later.

Kind regards,
Ryan
Old 08-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
That's what I would do. Honestly, some people don't even need it. Why spend the $500 if you're more than satisfied with the lift and the way it drives?

I say go with the OME first, if you feel you need the UCA, get them later.

Kind regards,
Ryan
Concur-The UCAs are nice to have but not immediately necessary in all cases. So throw the OME gear on all four corners and then add as needed from there.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
SLOH is a jewel in the roughSLOH is a jewel in the roughSLOH is a jewel in the rough

Name: Scott
SLOH's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i got the 3" ome lift with 2" blocks and ome shocks in back with 886 coils in and ome shocks in front, the whole ride is pretty stiff, you feel every little bump but i love it for off roading and i haven't had to buy new UCA arms yet, i'm waiting until i get new suspension first. I'm running 285/70/R17 BFG A/T and theres mild rubbing on the UCA but it doesn't bother me
Old 08-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the OME 885s and 1420s and 1.5 AAL in back with Stock UCA and I was able to get the caster close enough. it rides better than stock and I'm not going to buy a UCA, I'd rather throw the cash at some rims and tires.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
Navy:
Thanks for the input everyone. One other question. I bought a used 06 and it is out of warranty. how do i know if the previous owner did the suspension TSB? Im assuming this is an under warranty only TSB.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone. One other question. I bought a used 06 and it is out of warranty. how do i know if the previous owner did the suspension TSB? Im assuming this is an under warranty only TSB.

Yes..Under warranty only for the most part- a few folks have lucked out. If you have 4 leaves in the rear springs you got it...otherwise...you didn't.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #12
Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Yes..Under warranty only for the most part- a few folks have lucked out. If you have 4 leaves in the rear springs you got it...otherwise...you didn't.
Will the Toytec AAL solve the issues with the pre-TSB suspension or should i look into replacing the entire leaf pack in the future?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #13
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Will the Toytec AAL solve the issues with the pre-TSB suspension or should i look into replacing the entire leaf pack in the future?
The AAL will help...Do you carry regular heavy loads?? Cause if you don't...you may never notice the "problem"

Replacing the whole pack is never a bad idea...but the AAL will save you a few bucks in the short run. Dakar or Deaver are good "off the shelf" springs...you can get custom bent springs made by local shop if you want.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
r12rex's Tacoma Gallery
I did not qualify for the TSB so I bought the toytec TSB AAL which adds 1.5" of lift and helps with the bottoming out quite a bit. I'm satisfied with it, but if you have the money to spend on a new rear leaf pack, by all means go that route.

If you have no plans on hauling too much stuff but plan to off-road a lot, a 3 leaf AAL is a nice way to get some good flex off-road and a really plush ride on-road. Wheelers makes a nice piece for $150. check out wheelersoffroad.com for more info. It is the 3 leaf progressive AAL

Kind Regards,
Ryan
Old 08-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did not qualify for the TSB so I bought the toytec TSB AAL which adds 1.5" of lift and helps with the bottoming out quite a bit. I'm satisfied with it, but if you have the money to spend on a new rear leaf pack, by all means go that route.

If you have no plans on hauling too much stuff but plan to off-road a lot, a 3 leaf AAL is a nice way to get some good flex off-road and a really plush ride on-road. Wheelers makes a nice piece for $150. check out wheelersoffroad.com for more info. It is the 3 leaf progressive AAL

Kind Regards,
Ryan
+1 for the 3 pack....I fucking LOVE mine.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #16
BlueTRD09 is on a distinguished road

Navy: MMIRRG Officer
Name: Jimmy
BlueTRD09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOH View Post
yeah i got the 3" ome lift with 2" blocks and ome shocks in back with 886 coils in and ome shocks in front, the whole ride is pretty stiff, you feel every little bump but i love it for off roading and i haven't had to buy new UCA arms yet, i'm waiting until i get new suspension first. I'm running 285/70/R17 BFG A/T and theres mild rubbing on the UCA but it doesn't bother me
I'm about to install OME lift on all corners and am going with the 886 springs in the front. I talked to ARB and they said that I shouldn't drive it long without adding a few hundred pounds up front, most commonly done in the form of a bumper. Do you have any weight up front? If not, how are your CV boots holding up and how many miles do you have on them? Anyone else with 886's encounter any problems with wearing out front end parts when running light with the 886 springs up front? I went with the 886 springs so I would have the option of adding a bumper, but I'm not sure when I would add it. Thanks for your input ladies and gents.