1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My lift plan - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 8th sin, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:29 AM
    8th sin

8th sin [OP] Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    Funny how when I bought this truck (my first -- I come from a long line of sports cars) I was adamant about NOT wanting to lift. I have since changed my mind, so I'm putting together a plan so what when, with any luck, my bonus comes in later this year I won't have to waste time figuring out what I need.

First off two important factors I have to consider. First is that I live in Florida. No desert running and pretty much no rocks to crawl. Just about every truck here is a tow rig, a mall crawler, or a mudder since there just isn't much else to do. Second is that I am, and want to stay, 2WD. The truck is my daily driver, and honestly comfort is pretty much my top priority. I won't be doing any serious offroading aside from curb hoping and tearing down logging roads when I'm out hunting and camping. Yes, I am lifting *mostly* for looks, and while I'm ok with that, I still do not want to half ass it.

So my plan is as follows:

Front: Camburg lift spindles. I feel this is the best option as it provide 4" of lift (3" is a bit too subtle for me), maintains stock geometry, doesn't require expensive UCA's, and gives me the option to upgrade to a decent set of mid-travel coilovers in the future. I've chosen camburg over total chaos since they are less expensive and allow me to keep the sway bar.

Rear: OME Dakar leaf packs. I'd like to go with the Dakars as they should provide enough rear lift to make the truck just about level. I have yet to find a set of off the shelf leaf springs that give that much lift, and to my knowledge there's no other easy way to get any more out of a 2nd gen without using blocks (bad). I've never gone out and measured my truck, but I think 4" in front and ~2.75" in the rear will put the truck about level. The Dakars also don't kill your load capacity, which is a must as I would like to keep the option of towing a 20'-25' boat open.

Rear shocks I'm not yet sure about. Probably extended travel 5100's or perhaps a set of SAW's. I'll also put in whatever carrier bearing drops and axle shims I need to kill any vibrations. To be honest, I am a bit worried about this as I have vibrations ~25mph now and my suspension is entirely stock. I have had the transmission mount TSB performed as well.

Wheels/tires: Wheels I'm still on the fence about, but I reeeeally want a set of FJ trail teams wheels. Tires will be 33's, probably terra grapplers but I'm not sure yet.

Questions:

Will I be ok running my stock (with TRD shocks) springs/shocks up front with the spindles? Again, offroad performance isn't a huge matter to me. At least in this stage.

What can I do to the rear to match the increased track width in the front that I get from the spindles? Camburg's widen it 3/4" on each side. Will that even be noticeable in comparison to the rears? I have seen a few spacer options, but none as low as 3/4".

Are there other options for ~3" of rear lift without using blocks? The Dakar's seem to fit my requirements pretty well, but it would be nice if there were other options to look at.

2. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    TR3NT

TR3NT saving up

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    White 09 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    recessed billet, blacked out valence,cheaters lrgm, 5100's all around, painted rims, weathertechs, painted pinch weld, 33" Hankook m/t, mkw wheels, tsb leafs
    Stock shocks are fine with spindles
    Spacers with work but it looks fine without the rear matching
    Checkout deaver, alcan, or engage leaf packs

this is a similar setup to what im trying to save up for

3. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:47 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Check into the OME/Dakar leaf pack from Wheelers.

4. Aug 19, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    but it is still their leaf pack they sell w/ their brand name on it. just like the icon AAL packs are made by deaver...

the engage 50T leaf pack is not a bolt on pack. it would give you way more lift than your looking for because they are meant to be used as a spring under pack in a LT set up.

5. Aug 19, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    8th sin

8th sin [OP] Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    yea, I forgot to mention I don't want to have to weld anything or cut any metal...so that throws out the 50T packs. doesnt look like engage has any bolt on leaf packs.

Products Discussed in

To Top