Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

ICON Lift Kit or ToyTec Lift Kit...?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Call me Rocco
619Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
ICON Lift Kit or ToyTec Lift Kit...?

So I was pretty much set on the toy tec ultimate lift kit (http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mid=72)because it has 'everything' i'll need in one package. so that's very convenient and i've heard good things about it..

Now i see this link for ICON coil over stage II kit (http://www.outlawoffroadstore.com/22....0_V6_GAS.html)

I believe from what i've read is that ICON will be better than The Toy Tec lift kit and it's only $200 more...

What parts does the Toy Tec lift kit have that the ICON kit doesn't have that are REQUIRED for a proper lift... If i go with the ICON kit what other parts will i need??

I have a 2007 Tacoma V6, TRD SPORT 4x2, DoubleCab

Please give me any insight.. Comparisons between the two ride qualities, extra parts i'll need.. any of that.. THANKS A MILLION!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
the Icon may ride more firm on the street, as it has a spring with a 650# rate, while the Toytec spring is a 600# rate. Personally, for only $200.00 diff, get the Icon....Get a spanner wrench too, as they dont come with one.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
I went from Toytec c/o to Icons... The Icons ride so much nicer both on and off road.

Buy Mine:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...s-tc-ucas.html
Old 08-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
tacotown73 will become famous soon enough

tacotown73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrujillo63 View Post
I went from Toytec c/o to Icons... The Icons ride so much nicer both on and off road.

Buy Mine:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...s-tc-ucas.html
Haha... you're going onto your 4th suspension and your truck is an 08.

1. Stock
2. Toytec
3. ICON
4. All Pro Long Travel Kit

Did I miss OME somewhere?

I now know who to ask when comparing suspension systems
Old 08-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
the Icon may ride more firm on the street, as it has a spring with a 650# rate, while the Toytec spring is a 600# rate. Personally, for only $200.00 diff, get the Icon....Get a spanner wrench too, as they dont come with one.
Hey, if i had the money, i'd be ALL over that deal!! Sadly i don't though.. Either way, thanks for the input.

So you guys have confirmed my thought that for $200 more, go for the ICON kit.. But what other parts would i need that obviously would make the difference grow. The ICON kit doesn't come with U Bolts so i'm guessing i'd need to purchase those also ( i have no idea how much those will run, probably not much) but what other parts would i need? extended brake lines, etc...

Since the ToyTec kit comes with (what i believe is) everything and no other items would need to be purchased to lift the front and back, the price for the kit is final (not including installation).
Now If i purchase the ICON kit, what additional parts will i need? (that will add to the final price)..

I want to get a final price for all the components i would need with either kit so then i can decide which kit to go with. My budget leans more towards the Toy Tec lift but if i can get a better suspension for a few hundred bucks more, i'd do it.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #7

A couple of things to think about when making your decision.

ICON recommends rebuilding their shocks every 12-24 months, depending on use (I'm guessing for a street rig, this can be extended). The 5100's that come with the Toytec's do not require rebuilding; however, shocks do wear out and the 5100's will need to be replaced at some point.

Another thing to consider if you're looking at the actual cost associated with each setup. Toytec does charge for shipping. Outlaw Offroad provides FREE shipping.

If you do decide to go with Toytec; send a PM to Neubs. He can provide you with a discount code for Toytec and save you a few greenbacks.

I can't speak for either setup as far as ride quality, since I don't own either of them. Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
Baja bound

Thanks TacoTown...

After i read your comment i called ICON and they said that it isn't necessary for the 12-24 month rebuild. It's really when the shocks begin to leak or feel a difference in performance that they need to be rebuilt. But thanks for the heads up!

Will adding the AAL decrease the amount of weight i can carry in the bed? Usually on trips, there are 4 people in my truck plus my yfz450. This weight (even after the TSB) will make my truck hit the bump stops on dips or that sort of thing. So if anything, i'd like to be able to carry a little more weight.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotown73 View Post
Haha... you're going onto your 4th suspension and your truck is an 08.

1. Stock
2. Toytec
3. ICON
4. All Pro Long Travel Kit

Did I miss OME somewhere?

I now know who to ask when comparing suspension systems
Hahaha... you missed one.

1. Stock
2. Bilstein 5100s
3. Toytec
4. ICON
5. All Pro Long Travel Kit
6. SAS (Few years from now )
Old 08-19-2009, 07:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619Tacoma View Post
Thanks TacoTown...

After i read your comment i called ICON and they said that it isn't necessary for the 12-24 month rebuild. It's really when the shocks begin to leak or feel a difference in performance that they need to be rebuilt. But thanks for the heads up!
Awesome, that's good to know. I've seen the 12-24 month numbers across several forums, but I have yet to see anyone talk about the actual rebuild process. *shrug*

I wonder how long it takes for the shocks to leak or to show a performance difference... I'm sure it is largely determined by how hard people are on their rigs. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
ICONS FTMFW! haha and the AAL will only help your payload
Old 08-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #12
Suspension Guy
DylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dylan
DylanICON's Tacoma Gallery
The spring pack comes with U bolts. They are just not in the picture.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #13
Baja bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotown73 View Post
I wonder how long it takes for the shocks to leak or to show a performance difference... I'm sure it is largely determined by how hard people are on their rigs. Thanks for the info.
Right, the guy said that it depends on the use. He's seen their coilover shocks go all the way up to 150k miles until they needed to be rebuilt. I'm sure those shocks probably never saw dirt though.

Thanks for all the information guys! If there are any other things i should think about when choosing either setup, please let me know as i am hoping to get this done pretty soon. *Fingers crossed* First Exterior Mod since HID's so i'm super excited to get some good suspension components and of course some 33" rubber wrapped around my wheels. I have the stock Sport wheels right now but i'll probably be painting them black once i get the tires on them.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
ghostboy808 is on a distinguished road
ghostboy808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 619Tacoma View Post
Thanks TacoTown...

Will adding the AAL decrease the amount of weight i can carry in the bed? Usually on trips, there are 4 people in my truck plus my yfz450. This weight (even after the TSB) will make my truck hit the bump stops on dips or that sort of thing. So if anything, i'd like to be able to carry a little more weight.
The AAL in the icon pack will decrease your payload capacity since you will need to get rid of the OL leaf. The ride will be much better than stock though. I think the only way you can gain payload capacity is by putting a single AAL like the wheelers or toytec. Or you can buy the HD dakars and I think that will possibly give you an increase in cap. I have the aal + 5100 and the ride is pretty stiff in the back with no load. If I have 500+lbs in the back the ride is smooth.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #15
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostboy808 View Post
The AAL in the icon pack will decrease your payload capacity since you will need to get rid of the OL leaf. The ride will be much better than stock though. I think the only way you can gain payload capacity is by putting a single AAL like the wheelers or toytec. Or you can buy the HD dakars and I think that will possibly give you an increase in cap. I have the aal + 5100 and the ride is pretty stiff in the back with no load. If I have 500+lbs in the back the ride is smooth.

you dont have to take out your overload leaf, you can keep it in for increased payload but it will be a pretty stiff ride.

if you want lift with a good payload look at the OME leaf pack, they are priced pretty decent too
Old 08-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
you dont have to take out your overload leaf, you can keep it in for increased payload but it will be a pretty stiff ride.
The AAL mentioned is the ICON 3 Leaf Progressive Add a Leaf Kit, which I'm pretty sure requires you to remove the factory overload.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #17
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Icon is a much better coil over than Toytec. Easy question.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #18
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrujillo63 View Post
Hahaha... you missed one.

1. Stock
2. Bilstein 5100s
3. Toytec
4. ICON
5. All Pro Long Travel Kit
6. SAS (Few years from now )
Your going from long travel to SAS?? Your lt setup will be much better unless you want to rock crawl.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
Icon is a much better coil over than Toytec. Easy question.
Why is that? What makes it much better?

Have you owned both?

I'm an engineer and like to see data or reasons for such claims.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #20
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
Hands down go with the ICONs if you have the funds. I considered ICONs until I got sweet deal on FOX shox from Mjp2.