Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Help me build my lift... Please

Old 08-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
www.EvolvedFinance.com
ccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
ccoorreeyy's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Help me build my lift... Please

Hey TW,

I'm really interested in getting a lift for real now. I have about 500 bucks and I know that's not enough to get a really good lift, but I figure it's a start.

I was thinking about getting new billy 5100's (front and back). Is that enough to start? Can I get those and install without problems? I'm looking for 2 - 3" of height. I think that's going to cost about 400. So, I have about 100 bucks left over. Should I wait till I get some more cash?

I'm so stupid when it comes to this stuff to excuse my ignorance.

Any help is much appreciated!

C
Old 08-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoorreeyy View Post
Hey TW,

I'm really interested in getting a lift for real now. I have about 500 bucks and I know that's not enough to get a really good lift, but I figure it's a start.

I was thinking about getting new billy 5100's (front and back). Is that enough to start? Can I get those and install without problems? I'm looking for 2 - 3" of height. I think that's going to cost about 400. So, I have about 100 bucks left over. Should I wait till I get some more cash?

I'm so stupid when it comes to this stuff to excuse my ignorance.

Any help is much appreciated!

C
You are going to need some blocks or an AAL for the back. I say AAL and that runs $60-$100.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
tmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura about

Name: Treavor
tmat's Tacoma Gallery
well you're going to want to get bigger tires too; and with new tires you probably might want to get new wheels...lifting your truck aint cheap man! save the money
Old 08-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
www.EvolvedFinance.com
ccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

What's the difference between the two AAL's listed for sale on the ToyTec website?

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...d=64&Itemid=72
Old 08-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
www.EvolvedFinance.com

Well, I'm getting BFG TA KO's in the next couple of months. Could I ride my stock tires with a lift for a little bit? Would I run into problems?
Old 08-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
What's the difference between the two AAL's listed for sale on the ToyTec website?

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...d=64&Itemid=72
Quote:
Well, I'm getting BFG TA KO's in the next couple of months. Could I ride my stock tires with a lift for a little bit? Would I run into problems?
The difference between the two is whether or not you have the TSB 4 leaf pack. One is made for the TSB springs and the other is for those who haven't had the TSB performed on their truck. Also you can use your stock ttires on with a lift. Most prefer to have tires for their looks. Also look at UCA that wil fix your alignment. at 3in you don't have to have them.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
www.EvolvedFinance.com

Are Coils needed?
Old 08-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Are Coils needed?
With the 5100 you don't need them. The only way you can use them is to use the 5100 on their stock setting. Really just a waste of money to buy both.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
www.EvolvedFinance.com

Oh, and thanks TopGun.

What about this? Do I need 5100's with this?
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 08-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Before deciding on a lift, what are you doing with your truck? Hard off road? No off road? Mild....Medium????
Old 08-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Oh, and thanks TopGun.

You can use 5100 with it but again they would have to say on the stock setting. If you used them it might improve the ride quality a little, but the stock shocks will work fine for you.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #12
www.EvolvedFinance.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Before deciding on a lift, what are you doing with your truck? Hard off road? No off road? Mild....Medium????
I've been doing mild-medium off-roading. Nothing to crazy.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #13
www.EvolvedFinance.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
You can use 5100 with it but again they would have to say on the stock setting. If you used them it might improve the ride quality a little, but the stock shocks will work fine for you.
So it would make more since for me to get this $299 set then to get the 5100's and the AAL, right?

Cheaper.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #14
www.EvolvedFinance.com

Wow. I'm really retarded. What's TSB stand for?
Old 08-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Oh, and thanks TopGun.

Quote:
So it would make more since for me to get this $299 set then to get the 5100's and the AAL, right?

Cheaper.
If you want this set up then you don't need the 5100. you can get them to improve ride quality, but they must remain on the stock setting. In this package it is the coils that will do the lifting for you. Also this package will come with the AAL they are the little flat peices with a bow in them.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Wow. I'm really retarded. What's TSB stand for?
TSB=Technical Service Bulletin
Use this link it will explain to you the Suspension TSB. Some Tacos have a problem bottoming out with minimal load in the bed.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/new...reference.html
In the future there is a glossary function at the top of the screen that will help in these situations.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #17
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold

cjimenRR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cjimenRR
Trust me when I say this; save your money for the good stuff. All you're doing by trying to get away with just the 5100 billys is setting yourself up for a loss of money. About a month or two after you install your 5100 you'll be unhappy with height and wish you would have gone bigger from the getgo. Stop spending money on beer and going out for a couple of months and you'll have saved enough for a good set. The way the economy is you can get a set of used coilovers for a good price either on craigslist or on this board. Example: I got a set of SAW's 2.5 for $540, set of billys for the rears and a set of aal's $330 and installed everything myself. P.S. tsb= technical service bulletin.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #18
www.EvolvedFinance.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjimenRR View Post
Trust me when I say this; save your money for the good stuff. All you're doing by trying to get away with just the 5100 billys is setting yourself up for a loss of money. About a month or two after you install your 5100 you'll be unhappy with height and wish you would have gone bigger from the getgo. Stop spending money on beer and going out for a couple of months and you'll have saved enough for a good set. The way the economy is you can get a set of used coilovers for a good price either on craigslist or on this board. Example: I got a set of SAW's 2.5 for $540, set of billys for the rears and a set of aal's $330 and installed everything myself. P.S. tsb= technical service bulletin.
I can only go 3" because I won't fit in my garage. You have a 6" lift?
Old 08-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #19
www.EvolvedFinance.com

Ok. Here's my shopping cart. I got the extra 5100's for the back of my truck because I think I need new ones. I bottom out with very little weight in my bed.

Good? Anything else I need?

BEST SELLER! 3" Lift With front coils & rear options
Options: Standard 884 coils OME3-05-AL $299.99 $299.99
Rear Bilstein Shocks 05 & UP TacomaRTAC-BIL $199.99 $199.99
Subtotal: $499.98

Total: $499.98
Old 08-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #20

Oh Yea. Since your 4x4 you will need a front diff drop kit. I think its like $30 and super easy to install, But don't quote me on this I haven't looked into this. 2wd.