1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Suspension Upgrade -What should I do?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Stock_Tacoma, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Aug 25, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    Stock_Tacoma

Stock_Tacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 4x4 Regular Cab
    K&N FIPK
    First timer here for this forum! I was hoping for some reccomendations for my stock Taco to improve its off road capabilities. I have a budget of $2,500 and I will have a local shop do the work.

My stock 2000 Tacoma 4x4 regular cab, 2.7L ,4cyl has been well taken care of over the past 130,000 miles. I plan to ride it forever. I need some new tires and because of the mileage, the stock suspension system needs or could use an upgrade.

I want a truck that will perform as well as the money will allow off road.

What would you guys do to this truck for the money?

2. Aug 25, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    hell for 2500 your should just do a saw and lift the rear put 33 or 35 inch tires make it a little beast

3. Aug 25, 2009 at 11:04 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Well, def. go with coilover's up front(Toytec, Saw, Icon's) with maybe some new UCA's for better Allignment and more travel.
    Diff drop if 4x4

New leaf pack and Bilstein 5100's In the rear from Wheeler's (2" lift)
    And some new wheels and tires, make sure wheels have a 4" back spacing...

4. Aug 25, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    he has a 2000 tacoma if i were him i would just solid axle swap it with coils and shocks do a eazy kit

5. Aug 25, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    Stock_Tacoma

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 4x4 Regular Cab
    K&N FIPK
    Thanks!

I think I will go with the new coilovers and UCA's up front and the leaf pack and bilsteins in the rear. Pending how much that costs, I will see about replacing the wheels. Do these upgrades alone result in a lift on the truck or is that an additional mod?

EverTaco,
    What is the concern over the back spacing requirement? Why 4"?
    A diff drop needed because of the 2" lift right?

Should I use the same size wheels/tires or use something bigger without causing problems?

6. Aug 25, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    yes coilovers lift the thruck. they are adjustable so you crank down the collar above the coil to get the desired lift you want. you will be limited to about 2 in lift cause your 4WD w/ CV angles to worry about. check out for you parts they have good deals on all the parts your looking at and an Icon CO and Camburg UCA combo for less than $1500 shipped.

7. Aug 25, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    The concern with the back spacing of the wheels, is that you will rub alot on your fenders and bumper and the stock wheels have more of a backspacing which will make your tires real close to your UCA's. A 4" BS is perfect, it brings your tires out just enough to clear your UCA and have less rubbing.
    You can go 3" just do the diff drop and your CV's will be fine. I would def. get bigger tires like a 285/75/16 and new wheels. It just looks funny with stock size tires. :) Another cheaper way of dealing with rubing and clearing your UCA's is just to get wheel spacers. But I know many that frown upon them, But they do work.

8. Aug 25, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    the icon kit

9. Aug 26, 2009 at 10:29 PM
    zidaro

zidaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    mammoth lakes, ca
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    87runner with some mods, 08 V8runner ready to rock
    I think it is hysterical that everyone has posted up an opinion about a suspension that they think you need but no one has bothered to as what type of "off road" you plan on doing. What a bunch of self righteous kooks. There is some good advice here, but no one here can say what you need without the basics from you.

Your intentions are what should dictate what product/mod you go with- period. Start us off with some idea of how and where you plan on using your truck. Desert, Rocks, Sand, Whoops, Mud, Snow, Fire roads, Curbs. Mild, Wild? you get the picture. How often you "off road" and how much street miles, is it your only rig?
    $2500 can go along way toward a great suspension but then what? You gonna run around with your bitchen boingers and new big rubber with stock gears, jump your truck or crawl big rocks with stock axles and tranny. Rollcage???
    You get the pic, what are you gonna do with your truck? Then people can help better with their experiences/opinions.
    If your just looking to replace your tires and improve the "feel" of your truck on and offroad then a basic lift around 2" with new shocks/springs in front and an AAL/shocks in rear (or new leafs altogether) will be inexpensive and keep you out of trouble but give much better ride than youve got now. Quality AT tires less than 32" will fit fine, good on and offroad. $2500 will get you plenty far enough.
    Check out wheelersoffroad.com polyperformance.com allprooffroad.com for some tacoma options
    Have fun, you gotta start somewhere!!
    Welcome to Wheelin:D

10. Aug 27, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    Stock_Tacoma

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 4x4 Regular Cab
    K&N FIPK

Good Point! I only have one truck and have only done very minor off roading with it in sand at the beach and forest roads. I have climbed a few mountain passes using "high" clearance 2wd rentals like stock jeep commanders and trailblazers. I have two additional rides for all non offroad transportation I may need.

Anyways, I want something that can handle moderate 4x4 roads in the mountains with relative ease. About twice a year I like to go to the Colorado and take the truck to do mountain climbing. I need something for minor rock crawling, stream crossings, and relatively steep climbs.
    I live in Kansas so the truck has to ride reasonably well at highway speeds for hundreds of miles to get to my off road destination.

Since it's only a 4 cyl, I don't see the point in sinking a whole lotta dough into it, but it's a great truck and so if I am going to replace the suspension on it anyways, I just need an idea what to do that is a logical upgrade. I may add more as I learn more about what is needed.

I like the idea of going with coil overs and UCA's up front and a pair of new leaf springs and shocks in the back. Or maybe that is overkill for my needs?

I am still hazy on increasing the wheel/tire size. currently, I have the 30x9.5 R15's (stock of course). If I go up to the larger tires say 32's with R16 wheels will that mean I have to re-gear the front and back diff?

Let's see, I am looking at currently from the reccomendations above:

ICON coil overs w/ camburg UCA's $1500
    Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks $149
    5 leaf rear Spring Set $459
    diff drop ????

New wheels and tires???

I really Appreciate the comments!

11. Aug 27, 2009 at 12:14 PM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    solid set-up you got there. the improvemnt over stock both on and off road is gonna blow your mind. NO, with a 32in tire you will not have to re gear but you should plan on getting new tires because a 30in is gonna look ridiculous once the truck has that suspension on it and your gonna want a good off road tire to give you the traction your gonna need climing things BFG, nitto, cooper, toyo are all good choices

prob gonna want a set of these too
    these little things make a huge difference once you have the lift and new tires

12. Aug 27, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    down boy, chill out! i didnt say they were king of all tires. they (terra grappler) are average and usually people can get them at a decent price. they are popular and he might like them. i dont run them becuase you are right, they are not the best tire. dude, lay off the red bull and dont give me any of that SHIT

13. Aug 27, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    wow!!! can we not make this a TTORA thread? :)
    Really though.....

14. Aug 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM
    zidaro

zidaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    mammoth lakes, ca
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    87runner with some mods, 08 V8runner ready to rock
    Seems like you are on the right track. Personally, the ICON setup may be "top of the line" but you can find coilovers that some say will do just as good for half the price (allprooffroad or SAW comes to mind) and UCA's are also something that can be done at a later date "if" you need them, especially if you are not set on bigger lift/tires. Stock UCA's will serve you well for now unless there is a problem with yours.
    You seem to be at the stage of still deciding how much to commit to wheeling and what you describe as the typical trails you wheel are mild. I would invest in a mild modified suspension- new springs and shocks in rear and a good adjustable coilover replacement in front, 2-3" lift is sane and quite enough to get you clearance and a better ride/stance. Some argue that a diff. drop has some serious negative affects, study up before you go that route(search). I opted against it but I only lifted my taco 3" in front.
    A great place to throw money at a truck is regearing lower and adding traction(limited slip or a locker) in the diffs. An arb in the rear is perfect for a truck that sees lots of hwy and some hard trails, and will take you places you never thought possible. $700 best spent.
    31 or 32" tires will be great on a mild lift 4cyl., any bigger and gearing becomes a factor.
    My '96 taco is similar to what you have. Its my DD. I just inherited it from my buddy- totally pristine and stock with a blown head. I rebuilt the 3rz with mild upgrades and gave it a fresh suspension and set of rollers. I just got some goodyear duratracs and love them. I live in the mountains with lots of snow and get on 'decent" trails more than most people could ever imagine. I use the truck but nothing crazy yet, I have an '85 built crawler for that. This Tacoma will be getting an SAS/3link in the near future so for now....I put on a set of Fabtech "Performance" Adjustable coilovers in the front that I found used on craigslist for CHEAP. Everyone will agree the FOX fabtechs are not ideal but let me tell you what an improvement over the crap stock coils they are. I installed some stock '87 rear springs i had laying around and it gives a stable ride and ~ 3" lift to the taco- simple/cheap bolt on.
    You dont need to blow a ton of $$ on suspension to get a great handling rig that will be VERY capable on mild/moderate trails and the road. Bling is another thing. Think i wrote enough for now. OUT

Products Discussed in

To Top