Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Help with 3" suspension lift!!!

Old 08-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
cgilbane will become famous soon enoughcgilbane will become famous soon enough
Name: Chris
cgilbane's Tacoma Gallery
Help with 3" suspension lift!!!

I have a 2006 double cab Taco with 48,000 miles on it. I want get a 3" suspension lift.

I have been looking at getting Fox 2.5" Coil-Over Shox with remote reservoir for the front and back.

What else do I need to get in order to lift this amazing truck 3"?

I am not sure if I need to buy new brake lines/brakes?
Should I get new upper/lower control arms?
Can 33" tires fit on our Taco's with a 3" lift without rubbing? Or should I go with 32"?

What I want is more ground clearance, still a nice ride on the streets and highways, but I also do a small amount of offroading in Colorado so I want to be prepared for that.

Money is not an option because I have a lot saved up for this from an accident I had a year back.

I want to have a badass, super comfortable ride. Please TACOMAWOLD, help me pimp my ride!!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, I want to do the same, so I want to know also!!
(I'm also looking at the Fox 2.5" Coil-Over Shox)
O.k. guys point the way.....
Oh buy the way Welcome to TW Cgilbane!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
thanks buddy! hopefully these guys will help us out! SHARE YOUR GENIUS WITH US!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
33's will require some trimming to fix rubbing problems. How much depends on what else you do. If you get rims with a better offset (Like 0- to -12 offset with 4.5inch backspace) you'll have to trim a bit. You can also add spacers to the stock rims to make the extra clearance.

UCAs are a VERY good idea if you are going to 3 inches. Folks have had luck with getting a good alignment with the stock UCAs but aftermarket ones will make it easier and provide extra clearance for those 33s.

New brakes/brake lines are a good idea if you've got extra money to burn...Not really required. if you are going to get into off roading alot more...rear lines are a good idea to not over extend the stock ones...but even then...not required.

Think I hit all your questions...Welcome and good luck getting your rig built....
Old 08-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front
imsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: VMFA-314 F/A-18 Fighter Jet Plane Captain and Mech.
Name: Randy
imsikotic's Tacoma Gallery
You dont have to get UCAs but it is never a bad idea. The Fox coilovers will be awesome! You can run 33's. You might have to trim a little plastic but it is no big deal at all. Your brakes and lines will be fine.

You could always get the 4" lift Spindles from Camburg. They cost a bit but you will have an amazing ride.

Welcome to TW!!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Search the sususpension forums...there are tons of info out there.

Get the UCAs for 33s if you have the cash and moto metal rims and Nittro grappler 285/70s
Old 08-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
i really like BFG all terrain tires. everyone out in CO who I see out on the trails seems to drive them. What do you guys think?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info guys and sorry I forgot to check the suspension forum..
Old 08-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
but would I want to run mud terrain's when I do mostly driving on the highways at around 80 mph, and I offroad, but only on the weekends
Old 08-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #12
is there any vibration on the highway at high speeds since they are mudders? also how are they in snow and rain and ice?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #14
hahaha true you prolly dont get much of that in your neck of the woods. I spend most my year in snow and ice and mud out here in Colorado.

So if I get new:
*upper control arms
*Fox 2.5" Coil-Over Shox with remote reservoir for front and back
*33 inch tires (what is the best size rim for highway driving with a little offroading?)
*brake lines
*brakes

I should be good to go? any other things im forgetting that would be good to replace after I lift 3"?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #15

rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #16
If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front
imsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: VMFA-314 F/A-18 Fighter Jet Plane Captain and Mech.
Name: Randy
imsikotic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilbane View Post
hahaha true you prolly dont get much of that in your neck of the woods. I spend most my year in snow and ice and mud out here in Colorado.

So if I get new:
*upper control arms---GOOD
*Fox 2.5" Coil-Over Shox with remote reservoir for front and back---GOOD
*33 inch tires (what is the best size rim for highway driving with a little offroading?)
*brake lines----not needed
*brakes-----keep the ones you have if they are good still

I should be good to go? any other things im forgetting that would be good to replace after I lift 3"?
What size rims are you running now? I wouldn't go over a 17x9" wheel. You can run a 285/70/17 tire.
Wheel Specs: 17x8 or 9
4.5inch backspacing
-12 offset
Old 08-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #17
not positive on what size my rims are. I have a stock 2006 double cab trd sport package.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #18
i believe the sport package runs 17" rims stock
Old 08-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #19
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilbane View Post
i believe the sport package runs 17" rims stock
It does the OR has 16s