1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alignment Done RIght?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by dysfunctnlretard, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Aug 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Got some 5100's installed today and the alignment as well. Im not very trusting of others with my truck but my lack of knowledge forces me to get it done by others. IN any case, I looked at my truck and it SEEMS like the wheels are tilted inward a bit (like the alignment wasnt done right). I'm thinking I'm just being anal and paranoid but, just to be sure, how do I tell if it is? Any simple tests I CAN DO?

2. Aug 26, 2009 at 4:35 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Drive it @ highway speeds....if it drives straight...Prolly good to go. Drive it around corners and make sure it tracks right right thru the turn.

Did you get a copy of the report from the alignment?? Post up the numbers if you did.

3. Aug 27, 2009 at 4:43 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    I didn't get a copy of the numbers which sucks. I just installed some Km2s tho and I'd be super pissed if they began to wear unevenly. It drives straight on the highway, they look tilted in tho. I called the shop and told him an he said that the truck will not sit perfectly straight bc of the suspension and ( I'm assuming lack of new UCA's) is he right?

4. Aug 27, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    If you don't have UCAs it is entirely possible that he did not get the truck into stock specs.

Just cause the wheels are tilted one way or the other doesn't mean they are wrong...but you REALLY need the numbers to be sure. Like I would go back to the shop and see if they still have your invoice with the print out there...or get them to re-rack it and give you a copy of the numbers.

5. Aug 27, 2009 at 9:44 PM
    cjimenRR

cjimenRR Be Good or Be Good At It

Member:
    North Hollywood, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12' Sport DC,LB, 4x4
    I disagree with the UCA comment, I just installed 17x9, 285/70/r17 without UCA's and got all my alignment specs to where they should be at. Now granted my Total Caster is 1 degree from being bad and I will eventually get UCA's to correct that cause I'm anal, if you have an awesome alignment tech (which i do) he should be able to get the readings to within spec.

To the OP, without the actual readings from your alignment there's no telling if your just imagining things or if there really is something wrong. To me any alignment guy that isn't giving a print out of your before and after readings is hiding something. Ever hear the term "set the toe and let it go"?

6. Aug 28, 2009 at 4:51 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    How far did you lift your truck?? And you'll notice I said it's POSSIBLE, not GUARANTEED. Lots of folks have had problems with either rubbing or alignment being incorrect with stock UCAs...

7. Aug 28, 2009 at 5:29 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    2.5 inches up front. If my tires
    begin to wear retarded how soon would it be noticeable?

8. Aug 28, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    A bit off topic here but are all tires supposed to operate at the same pressure?I got some KM2's and the shop filled them to 35psi, and I wanted to godown to 30 for comfort

9. Aug 28, 2009 at 6:03 AM
    cjimenRR

Member:
    North Hollywood, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12' Sport DC,LB, 4x4
    2.5 with SAW coilovers, don't get me wrong I still had major rubbing which required me to chop off half my front fender liners.

10. Aug 28, 2009 at 6:04 AM
    cjimenRR

Member:
    North Hollywood, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12' Sport DC,LB, 4x4
    That's about right, I'm running my Nitto's at 38 psi

11. Aug 28, 2009 at 6:07 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Wow. That's alot of trimming.

So different tires require different pressures? Guess I gotta do the
    chalk test.

12. Aug 28, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Chalk test doesn't lie :D

13. Aug 28, 2009 at 6:43 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Yes to the chalk test. It's the best way I've found to set tire pressures. My Nittos are at 40/38 right now...I haven't had time to chalk them yet...=\

14. Aug 28, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    That's a little high isn't it? Just chalked mine and came out to 32psi is good

15. Aug 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    My are E range tires- Full on "truck" tires...So they have a max about 80PSI...and over inflation will cause premature wear in the centers....so it'll be even...

Even for tires in the same size/configuration/load range but different manufactures the pressures can vary widely...

I'll try to remember to update this thread when i get around to chalking mine...

16. Sep 17, 2009 at 5:58 AM
    Chazmanian

Chazmanian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Stocker
    I just went through this saga with my truck....

The alignment guy essentially has to set your camber more positive (Wheels tilted out at top) in order to dial in enough caster for the truck to meet the 1.3-2.7 caster range on both sides.

My passenger side will caster out at 1.5 at 0 camber but the drivers side will not.

Sadly the camber is a tire wearing issue as I have KM2's as well I did a chalk test and realized I was essentially eating the outter edge of brand new KM2's prematurely due to the added camber or tilting of the hweels..... Truck drove great tho!!

So some quick math tells me this...$420.00 for a set of UCA's to get the thing at 0 camber 2.4 caster and not eat tires or continue on with my tire eating setup?

KM2's are soft. And expensive. 285's KM2's are gonna bust a grand.

My Light racing UCA's are now enroute. I plan on owning this truck for a long time......

17. Sep 17, 2009 at 7:20 AM
    Padilla1880

Padilla1880 "Let's Ride!"

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OffRoad V6 SR5 PreRunner
    I just went through this also. I recently installed some TC UCA's took it in the get aligned to stock specs and came out the same way you have described having too much + camber on the passenger side. I have been talking with chris4x4 through my whole install and alignment process and he suggested these specs:

Took my truck back and had the guy align it to those specs give or take, but closest to those numbers.

18. Sep 17, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    exact same thing happened to me, i was fairly upset about spending all this money and the tires still look like i have ran into curbs and bent something. I have just decided to live with it and wait till I get new tires and rims, then I will take my truck somewhere else to have it alligned. most places dont do all the work needed to fix it cause it takes to long and costs more than their flat rate.

19. Sep 17, 2009 at 9:08 AM
    Chazmanian

Chazmanian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Stocker
    Its gonna take all of two hours on the alignment machine to get the ting right...

A $48.00 Alignment special at brakes plus from a zit faced kid who was flipping burgers at Mickey D's last week aint gonna work out.

I plan on having mine done right once the UCA's are on unless someone will warrant my KM2's for the next 35K!!!

Then fvckers cost way too much too entrust to Jeremy the 19 Y/O Ex-Mickey D's kid!!

20. Sep 17, 2009 at 9:50 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Same here. Id hate to throw away $800 on KM2's just like that. I just ordered my TC UCA's and I cant wait to get them on and have my lift complete and correct. They should be on within the next week.

Products Discussed in

To Top