Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

So I think my new Taco drives like s--t! What can I do to make it better?

Old 08-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
FloridaFeMan is a jewel in the roughFloridaFeMan is a jewel in the roughFloridaFeMan is a jewel in the rough
Army: 66H8A  DDEAMC
FloridaFeMan's Tacoma Gallery
So I think my new Taco drives like s--t! What can I do to make it better?

I think my new DC 2WD Auto Trans. TRD Sport ride is terrible. The shift points suck and the truck seems to want to wander all over the road. I took the truck back to Toyota and they said the alignment was off so they realigned it. Maybe a tad bit better but still far from my likings. It seems like maybe the suspension is too soft if that makes sense. First question, does anyone else feel their 2nd gen. Tacoma handling this way, especially at higher speeds on the highway? And if so, what can I do to remedy the situation. That brings me to the third question, I have sought advice and read other's posts on lifts. Was almost sold by Chris 4x4s advice to go with Bilstein 5100s all around and an add a leaf in rear with maybe some new UCAs. The next day I read a post where someone just did this and he hated the ride so much that he went back to stock. And several others agreed with him. I quickly put the breaks on. Just recently I was reading positive responses on 3" Toytec Lift thread. It's referring to their "best seller" according to their website but it's a front spacer.
so this kit is a spacer in the front and an add a leaf in the rear? I thought everyone on here says to stay away from spacers? The Toytec website states that this is their "Best Seller." I am confused on which is the right thing to do. I can get a Ready Lift installed on my Taco for $320 with alignment included. Here is the link: http://www.readylift.com/c-104-tacom...75-30f10r.aspx I am not planning on off-roading but like another poster said, I want it so that I can put bigger tires on and give it a more rugged look. So which lift is the best for my purposes? And will my ride improve or do I need to go with an OME kit like this one http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

Somebody please help clear the confusion.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
I think you want to look into the 'Toytec Ultimate lift kit'. Whatever you do, do not buy spacers. If you hate the ride now, you'll hate it even more.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 08-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianboy View Post
I think you want to look into the 'Toytec Ultimate lift kit'. Whatever you do, do not buy spacers. If you hate the ride now, you'll hate it even more.
x2!

I made the mistake of going with a spacer lift..
Spacers up front, AAL in the rear....
The ride really sucks....especially at highway speeds...
Old 08-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PreRunner View Post
x2!

I made the mistake of going with a spacer lift..
Spacers up front, AAL in the rear....
The ride really sucks....especially at highway speeds...
yeah, w/ a spacer lift you'll think it's bad ass until you get in the truck and drive it and be bummed and then once you hit a bump or pot hole you'll be hating life. i know i was. save the $ do it right the first time go w/ some CO's or at least the bilstein 5100's

CO http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05updonahoetacoma.htm
5100 http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoadjbils.htm

BTW: it's toytecs "best seller" because people are retarded and cheap and only care about lifting their truck to look cool and aren't worried about comfort or performance. i was guilty of that a few years ago when i was young and dumb. trust us spacers = BAD