Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How to lift my new taco

Old 08-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
Smile How to lift my new taco

So Im back in the tacoma scene again with a 2005 dc trd offroad 4wd, I sold my sti and bought this. I had a 2000 4wd trd before and put a revtek kit on it with the 32" bfg km's and a ller canopy was really sweet.
My question for you guys is this
I want to lift my dc max 3" to level it out and get a bigger tire so here is my idea and would like some input from you guys pro cons etc?
I was thinking off odering the Bilstein 5100's front and rear set as my truck has 50k on it so i thought get the rears too maybe the stock are getting soft,
Set the fronts at 2.5" and do a add a leaf in the rear (not sure which one to level it all out with the fronts at full 2.5")
A set of bfg at ko's 285/75/16
will this work well? the truck will unfortunatly be mostly road driven with some off roading (I live on the prairies not much but farmers fields here)
With the 5100's at 2.5" should I do a diff drop?? or is it fine?
will the 285's fit ok (running the stock wheels)
Is this a better set up than the rev tek? or should I go that route again??
thanks alot guys sorry its long and if its been asked before but Im pretty excited to start wrenching on this taco.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsenekos View Post
So Im back in the tacoma scene again with a 2005 dc trd offroad 4wd, I sold my sti and bought this. I had a 2000 4wd trd before and put a revtek kit on it with the 32" bfg km's and a ller canopy was really sweet.
My question for you guys is this
I want to lift my dc max 3" to level it out and get a bigger tire so here is my idea and would like some input from you guys pro cons etc?
I was thinking off odering the Bilstein 5100's front and rear set as my truck has 50k on it so i thought get the rears too maybe the stock are getting soft,
Set the fronts at 2.5" and do a add a leaf in the rear (not sure which one to level it all out with the fronts at full 2.5")
A set of bfg at ko's 285/75/16
will this work well? the truck will unfortunatly be mostly road driven with some off roading (I live on the prairies not much but farmers fields here)
With the 5100's at 2.5" should I do a diff drop?? or is it fine?
will the 285's fit ok (running the stock wheels)
Is this a better set up than the rev tek? or should I go that route again??
thanks alot guys sorry its long and if its been asked before but Im pretty excited to start wrenching on this taco.

that is a better setup than revtek in my opinion, set the front 2.5 and you might not need an aal, if you do it might be a 1.5". change the rear shocks and you might not need a diff drop, buy it just in case and if you need it use it if not put it in a drawer. your new tires will fit, minor trimming may be needed but no big deal. you are on the right track.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

thanks bajamoon the more I read here the more Im steering way far away from a spacer lift, but now I came across the toy tek ultimate kit looks great but more bread too
Old 08-28-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks bajamoon the more I read here the more Im steering way far away from a spacer lift, but now I came across the toy tek ultimate kit looks great but more bread too
the ultimate lift is nice too but it uses a 5100 shock in front, i would just go with the 5100's and if later you want a coilover just buy some nice king's or fox's
Old 08-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Nope. You'll need to trim a bunch from your wheelwells and will need wheel spacers if you don't want to rub the UCAs...
o really damn, are the wheel spacers hard on wheel bearings and what would i need 1/4" or more ??? thank you
Old 08-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
shockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to all
Name: Dustin
shockittillyareconizeit's Tacoma Gallery
What is your wheel backspacing? If you have anything less than 4.74, you won't need spacers. I have 4.74 and i clear everything fine with my 285's.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, the 2nd. gens are different then the 1st.
I think he would even have to do some trimming with a 3" lift. But very little, I would do the 3" if I were you...
And a 2" AAL in back with 5100's

Just my 2cts.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #9

ya just running the stock 16" trd wheels...are the wheel spacers hard on the wheel bearings?
Old 08-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #10

im thinking the billy's 5100's all around set at full 2.5 with a add a leaf 1.5 in the rear and 265/75/16 goodyear dura tracs they are a 32" should work fine....right guys and thanks for all the help on this
Old 08-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
There's nothing to question on that setup. Pretty common here & looks great...

Good luck man.
ya I agree looks great and pretty common here, I also had a thought would running a small top plate spacer to gain 3/4 to 1 inch and then set the 5100's at 1.5 or 1.75 be benificial in anyway because I wouls be gaining that inch in downward travel on the 5100's ?????
Old 08-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ya I agree looks great and pretty common here, I also had a thought would running a small top plate spacer to gain 3/4 to 1 inch and then set the 5100's at 1.5 or 1.75 be benificial in anyway because I wouls be gaining that inch in downward travel on the 5100's ?????
if your concerned about suspension travel then stay away from the old spacers all they do is limit travel. you'd be better off setting the 5100's at the 2.5 setting