Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rough Country 3 inch lift?

Old 01-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
r6chan is on a distinguished road
r6chan's Tacoma Gallery
Rough Country 3 inch lift?

I recently installed a 3 inch lift made by rough country and put 285/75/16 nitto all terrain grapplers on. I got the front end alligned and it still has a vibration from 30-42 mph and when i am almost stopped after braking? anyone got any info that would help or know what the cause is??

Also I have a clearence issue with the top of my tire and the control arm and im in need for some spacers. Whats the best for the price.

Feel free to e-mail me with any info!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
im sure someone else will chime in on spacers, but as far as the vibration issue, you may want to get the tires rebalanced, maybe road force balanced. sounds like to me that you may have a tire not balanced correctly, or it may have slung a weight off.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
r6chan's Tacoma Gallery
road forced balanced? Im not sure if i know what that is. I just got the tires on last wed, so the balancing should be fresh. Ill check to see if the weights are still on, though. The vib has been obvious since i lifted it the different tires has changed anything.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Did you have a struggle with the lift, maybe something is out of alignment, kind of tweaking the truck. That might be a vibration issue if it's not a tire thing.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
r6chan's Tacoma Gallery
lift went on without a single problem? I talked to someone at rough country and they said that the rear blocks may take a while to settle in and find a good spot, so ill take his word for it but still it seems unlikely? Thanks for all the info guys, keep it coming...
Old 01-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6chan View Post
lift went on without a single problem? I talked to someone at rough country and they said that the rear blocks may take a while to settle in and find a good spot, so ill take his word for it but still it seems unlikely? Thanks for all the info guys, keep it coming...
thats the most retarded thing i've heard. a rear block is a solid piece of metal and really only goes in one way. i dont see it "settling"
Old 01-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #7
r6chan's Tacoma Gallery
True, me too! his explanation was that there is a nipple that is a fraction too big and after a while it shaves itself down, supposedly? We will see. Any info will help guys!
Old 01-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Could it be driveline vibration from the increased angles?
Old 01-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
kenny is on a distinguished road
kenny's Tacoma Gallery
3' lift

I'll agree, I believe the angle in the shaft is causing the problem. Tacoma's have a problem with shaft vibration even with out a lift. Try experimenting with shimming the carrier bearing with washers. I have a 3'' lift on my Tacoma and by adding four 5/16'' washers on each side of the bearing the vibration is almost gone. good luck.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #10
L_Jackson is on a distinguished road

Army: Avenger Crew Member - 1st Cav 98-01
L_Jackson's Tacoma Gallery
i understand that either!!!! i did the AAL, but to the best of my knowlege (but my knowlege is very little) a block is flat block that sits in flush on top and bottom.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #11
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Jackson View Post
i understand that either!!!! i did the AAL, but to the best of my knowlege (but my knowlege is very little) a block is flat block that sits in flush on top and bottom.
its flat for the most part, but its got the "nipple" on the bottom that sits into the plate mounted to the axle...and has a hole in the top for the "nipple" from the leaf pack assembly to fit into....
Old 01-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #12
r6chan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
I'll agree, I believe the angle in the shaft is causing the problem. Tacoma's have a problem with shaft vibration even with out a lift. Try experimenting with shimming the carrier bearing with washers. I have a 3'' lift on my Tacoma and by adding four 5/16'' washers on each side of the bearing the vibration is almost gone. good luck.
where could i pick some washers up pretty cheap at?? ill def try it! A quick fix would be great, what part are you talking about shimming?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
kenny is on a distinguished road
kenny's Tacoma Gallery
carrier bearing

You can pick up 5/16" washers at any hardware or auto parts store. If you have a two piece drive shaft you'll see the carrier bearing in the middle section of the shaft. There are two bolts on each side. Back one bolt out about half way then remove the other one. Slip four or so washers between the bearing flange and the cross member and put the bolt in loosely then go to the other side and repeat. tighten them down and you're ready to go. try experimenting with more or less washers. Make equal on each side. Good luck!
Old 01-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #14
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
get your tires checked it took me going back 3 time before it was rite i cant rember where i got my spacers from but they are 1.25in thick what year taco do you have
Old 01-18-2008, 02:14 PM   #15
r6chan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003greenbean View Post
get your tires checked it took me going back 3 time before it was rite i cant rember where i got my spacers from but they are 1.25in thick what year taco do you have
2005, i m tring to get just 1 in spacers
Old 12-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #16
rallsp12 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ralls
rallsp12's Tacoma Gallery
so do you like the rough country lift? and does it actually lift it a good 3 inches and looks noticable?
Old 09-23-2010, 03:08 AM   #18
luvsoffroading
tacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: rich
tacomarich's Tacoma Gallery
did you find out what your issue was? i saw this lift on http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/rou...ft-p-8287.html for the 3'' lift from rough country. worth the buy and performance?
Old 09-23-2010, 03:12 AM   #19
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomarich View Post
did you find out what your issue was? i saw this lift on http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/rou...ft-p-8287.html for the 3'' lift from rough country. worth the buy and performance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post

^^^this

OP hasnt been here in 16 months, so i doubt you will find your answer from him