Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

lift kits

Old 01-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
fkli222 is on a distinguished road

fkli222's Tacoma Gallery
lift kits

planning on getting a lift kit soon for my 2nd gen tacoma double cab. what kind of 3 inch lift kits would people recommend?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Check into http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoma.htm or http://www.toyteclifts.com/
If you're going to off road a lot, then go with new front springs and add a leaf in the rear, if not you can save money with just a spacer in the front and blocks in the back, its up to you.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
kenny is on a distinguished road
kenny's Tacoma Gallery
3" lift

I have a 3" suspension lift from Tuff Country. It uses spacer blocks on rear which causes some leaf spring flexing when accelerating and when braking. This causes some problems with u-joint angle and puts extra stress on the drive train, an easy fix with a set of traction bars. The front uses spacers on the coil springs which raises the truck to the point of almost maxing the travel on the suspension which sucks when you hit bumps because there is no longer free range of motion on the upward travel. If I were to do it over I would spend the extra money and get the set-up that leaves the factory specs the same. around $1300 to $1800 depending on the make.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
TacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud of

TacoSter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
I have a 3" suspension lift from Tuff Country. It uses spacer blocks on rear which causes some leaf spring flexing when accelerating and when braking. This causes some problems with u-joint angle and puts extra stress on the drive train, an easy fix with a set of traction bars. The front uses spacers on the coil springs which raises the truck to the point of almost maxing the travel on the suspension which sucks when you hit bumps because there is no longer free range of motion on the upward travel. If I were to do it over I would spend the extra money and get the set-up that leaves the factory specs the same. around $1300 to $1800 depending on the make.
Is there a set up that keeps all the factory geometry ? I would pay more if I knew there would be no problems... reading around different forums... seems to be hit or miss
Old 01-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a heavy front bumper or are you planniing on get a heavy duty bumper? Go with the OME set up. You can get it in light, med and heavy duty I think. This is what Toyota of Dallas sells and what I just purchased thru 4 wheel parts, in the heavy because I plan on getting the ARB bumper. Call Toyota of Dallas and they will tell you anything you need to know, most of the parts guys are members of the Toyota Trail Riders club, and are willing to help anybody with modding their trucks.