Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

lift kit questions...

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
METAL!
EmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
EmoSlayer's Tacoma Gallery
lift kit questions...

I want to lift my truck 3" to fit 285/70/17's under it. I've done a lot of reading through this site and have found a ton of great info, but still have some questions...

Here's what I plan on lifting.. 2009 DC TRD Sport

I mostly drive highway but sometimes take it on light trails, no rock climbing here..

I pretty much want to avoid spacers.. so here is an interesting lift I found..

LIFT:
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

would these other parts work in combo?

RIMS:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Ro..._pn=PCW98-7883

TIRES:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Is anyone running this lift? How does it ride? Will this cause the truck to wander on the road? This isn't a full spacer lift?? I think they are 1/4 or 1/2 inch spacers that come with it for the front. Would this lift be sufficent for the kind of driving I am doing? Will the rear end settle and sag over time? Would 285/70/17's fit with a 17x8 rim with 4.5" backspacing? If anyone has pics of this lift installed it would be greatly appreciated.

I have access to a full car lift, how brutal would it be installing it myself? Would I need a spring compressor?

What other affordable options would you guys suggest considering the type of driving I am doing?

ps sorry for all the noob questions, but I am new to all of this

THANKS FOR THE INFO!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
r12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant future
r12rex's Tacoma Gallery
The set-up is great, but I would opt for a set of new shocks as the factory billys aren't up to the task with the lift. Get the complete OME set-up through toytec. I can't recommend them enough. The wheels and tires look good, do understand that you'll need to trim a bit of the fender liner so you don't rub.

The install is very straight forward and easy with the right tools. You should be more than capable of doing the install in 4 hours or less by yourself. It took me 2 hours to do the whole lift myself, but I've worked on cars for quite some time now.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
Ryan
Old 08-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
METAL!
EmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

re:

thanks for the quick responses!

so is this the kit you recommend?

I won't need anything else then? no uca's or anything else? If I bought this kit is it pretty straight forward for install?? I would probably run my stock rims and tires for now just to get my money's worth out of the tires, would this look stupid lifted? I'm having a really hard time deciding with what rims/tires combo to go with, the truck is black, don't know if i want to go all black or get chrome rims, 17s or 16s....

also one more question.. where can i get this grille, it looks disgustingly awesome

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/s.../29399/cat/500

thanks again for the replies!!!
Old 08-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
FloridaFeMan is a jewel in the roughFloridaFeMan is a jewel in the roughFloridaFeMan is a jewel in the rough
Army: 66H8A  DDEAMC
FloridaFeMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoSlayer View Post
I want to lift my truck 3" to fit 285/70/17's under it. I've done a lot of reading through this site and have found a ton of great info, but still have some questions...

Here's what I plan on lifting.. 2009 DC TRD Sport

I mostly drive highway but sometimes take it on light trails, no rock climbing here..

I pretty much want to avoid spacers.. so here is an interesting lift I found..

LIFT:

would these other parts work in combo?

RIMS:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Ro..._pn=PCW98-7883

TIRES:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Is anyone running this lift? How does it ride? Will this cause the truck to wander on the road? This isn't a full spacer lift?? I think they are 1/4 or 1/2 inch spacers that come with it for the front. Would this lift be sufficent for the kind of driving I am doing? Will the rear end settle and sag over time? Would 285/70/17's fit with a 17x8 rim with 4.5" backspacing? If anyone has pics of this lift installed it would be greatly appreciated.

I have access to a full car lift, how brutal would it be installing it myself? Would I need a spring compressor?

What other affordable options would you guys suggest considering the type of driving I am doing?

ps sorry for all the noob questions, but I am new to all of this

THANKS FOR THE INFO!
Take another look at the wheel you selected. Your truck has 6 lugnuts and it looks like that wheel only has 5.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
METAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFeMan View Post
Take another look at the wheel you selected. Your truck has 6 lugnuts and it looks like that wheel only has 5.

ya that's just their stock photo its 6 on 5.5
Old 08-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
FloridaFeMan is a jewel in the roughFloridaFeMan is a jewel in the roughFloridaFeMan is a jewel in the rough
Army: 66H8A  DDEAMC
FloridaFeMan's Tacoma Gallery
That wheel looks pretty sharp. I am contemplating that same lift. It's either the OME or 5100 Bilstein's front and rear with AAL. We'll see. I am also gonna look into powdercoating my stock sport alloys.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
METAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFeMan View Post
That wheel looks pretty sharp. I am contemplating that same lift. It's either the OME or 5100 Bilstein's front and rear with AAL. We'll see. I am also gonna look into powdercoating my stock sport alloys.

I thought of doing that too and powdercoating, I got a quote from a guy and he ball parked it at 100$ a wheel, which is outrageous, new rims would be cheaper! but another downside of keeping the sport rims and putting 285s on you would need to install spacers as well, at least that's what i was told

anybody runnin 305/70/16's with a 3" lift?? How bad would they rub?

these are pretty nice..

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Mic...t_pn=M%2fT5265

Products Discussed in this Thread