1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock tacoma Suspension

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by dalsmthme, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Aug 31, 2009 at 5:42 AM
    dalsmthme

dalsmthme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    I am wondering if TRD Offroad Prerunners have the same from springs as a 4X4. I have a stock SR5 Double cab. I am looking to upgrade shocks. I want to change shocks and springs but to not want to do a lift. Eventually, I would like to go to 5100's but I see a lot of TRD bilstiens cheap. I would also like to go to a slightly stiffer spring if I can.

2. Aug 31, 2009 at 10:09 PM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    yes, the suspension is the same. A prerunner is a 2wd version of the 4x4 offroad... also note that the stock bilsteins are not the same as aftermarket bilsteins. here is a pic comparing the rear stocks with 5100s not really sure what you're looking for exactly since you say you want stock springs, then you say you want stiffer springs?

3. Aug 31, 2009 at 10:23 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Whats the hold up? Why not just buy the 5100's now instead of something else? They are not that much and you can adjust them later if you get bigger tires and want more lift

4. Sep 1, 2009 at 1:40 AM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    I am actually more interested in shifting suspension resonance. I don't want to lift the truck. It does just enough for me as it is. I am just chasing vibes that arn't being adressed by anything else. Tires and wheels are fine. Driveline shims havn't helped. The truck rides better with the more weight in it. It rode real nice with the TSB springs in itm but they caused a pretty severe driveline vibe.

So, I want to putt the progressive off road springs in the front so I don't change ride hight. I may do 5100's, but my budget isn't huge. Right now, I am just looking to put the TRD shocks on it. Plenty of takeoff available online. Just trying to figure out if the TRD offroad prerunner suspension is the same as 4X4 TRD offroad. Spring part numbers are different.

5. Sep 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM
    TightShirts

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    ok, i thought they were the same but they may be different- the 4x4 model may be slightly stiffer to account for the weight of the front drive components, but i don't understand why you are looking at stock trd because you can't buy a double cab non-trd... and you can't buy a 4x4 non-trd either, so you should already have what you are looking for. the easiest way to tell if you have a trd or not is the fender flares- do you have them?

plus you have an 09- take that shit back to the dealer and make them fix it under warranty if their is something strange going on with the truck

6. Sep 1, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

This- I know it can be a hassle...but it saves you money in the end (unless you are driving for 100s of miles to get to a dealer...) It shouldn't have vibrations "new out of the box" Let them deal with it.

7. Sep 1, 2009 at 1:24 PM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    Trust me. I have already been down the dealer path. It's a long story. All I got out of the deal was a set of Mich LTX M/S tires and the 100K warrantee. They claim there is nothing wrong and the service manager claims he can't feel the vibe.

Anywho, I don't know what you mean you can't buy a double cab non-TRD. I own a SR5 4X4 DC that is not TRD.

8. Sep 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM
    TightShirts

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    hmm... after trying to build one on the website i'm confused myself. so it will let you get a double cab- but it requires it to be a 6 lug prerunner or 4x4 (which i thought corresponds to the trd suspension) which is why i thought that all double cabs had to be trd- so when inspecting the trd package it lists "billstein sport shocks" along with many other things

so do you know for a fact that you don't have the same shocks as a trd? i was under the assumption that it there was only 2 sets of shocks- one for 5 lug and one for 6 lug- but i have been wrong before

9. Sep 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    2 Wheel drive TRD (1st generation anyway) has exactly the same suspension as 4 wheel drive. The "vibration" you describe is the trade off when you have a more stable, albeit "stiffer' ride than a softer spring & shock, stiffer the suspension the more road vibrations & irregularities are going to be transmitted thru the drive train all the way up to the steering wheel, all things being equal ( good tires/balance, drive line & steering components all good)

10. Sep 2, 2009 at 2:57 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    :confused::confused:
    I have a double cab, non trd, 4x4 and it doesn't even have the sr5 package either ;).
    There is 5 lug suspension, 6 lug base & sr5 suspension (which are the same) and TRD OR & TRD Sport suspension.

As for the 6 lugs (prerunner or 4x4 doesn't matter) there is either TRD or non-TRD suspension, the non-trd does not have Bilsteins and the TRD has Bilsteins.
    The Base and SR5 trucks come with black oem shocks, the TRD is the blue/yellow bilsteins.

If a SR5 or Base had the leaf spring TSB done then they get upgraded to the TRD Bilstein shocks and 4 leafs.

11. Sep 2, 2009 at 3:08 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    So you had the leaf spring TSB done??? If so then they should have changed out your black shocks to the TRD bilstein shocks.
    But they re-use the coil spring from your sr5 suspension...so I'm confused as to what set-up you have now.
    Supposedly the coils are different in the sr5/base, and each TRD package, but I thought the Prerunner and 4x4 were the same.
    Where are you getting the part #'s? The ones I found were the same for 4x4 and Prerunner TRD OR.

12. Sep 2, 2009 at 4:04 AM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    I have the black shocks, no yellow billy's. They did the spring TSB but never swapped my chocks per Toyota, only the springs. This caused a driveline vibe between 20-30mph so they pulled the TSB springs back out. I am back to my stock suspension.

What I do know is that that TRD offroad springs are different than everything else. They are a progressive spring rate. From my understanding the TRD sport springs are the same as the SR5 DC springs. My problem is that the Prerunner TRD Offroad and the 4X4 TRD Offroad list is different part number soooooooooooo. I am trying to figure out what is different between the Prerunner spring. It doesn't make sens that it would be stiffer on a 4X4 because of axel mass. It is unsprung weight unless controlling that mass is the issue.

13. Sep 2, 2009 at 4:22 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    I understand now....but don't know why they wouldn't have changed out the shocks to the TRD, did they ever update the TSB to include 09's? I haven't checked. Did they do it as a 'good will' gesture replacing the leaf packs due to your complaint??

I found part #'s for the 'front spring assembly' for the TRD OR and they were the same for Prerunner and 4x4, but I couldn't find the spring and shock seperate, where did you find these part #'s??

So you are wanting to get TRD OR shocks and springs?

Just another thought...have you tried a different set of rims/tires or had yours road force balanced and also an alignment?
    I had an issue with a vibration then my alignment went out, road force test showed 2 tires were bad. I got new rims/tires and an alignment at an offroad shop, the dealer couldn't fix it and now it rides great.
    I had the black shocks and now have the Bilsteins from the TSB, ride is slightly stiffer but I thought more do to the rear springs than the shocks.
    Good luck ;).

14. Sep 2, 2009 at 5:11 AM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    They didn't change out the shocks because they suck. They changes out the springs to adress the vibration, it worked. The tire vibe I was getting was gone, but I ended up with the bad vide I described before. They pulled the springs and I was back to where I started.

I have run a different set of wheels and tires off of a TRD sport, helped a lot, but there is still a vibe there. They then gave me a new set of Mich LTX M/S. I had an idependent shop Roadforce the tires and measure rim runout. The worst rim was 0.010", so the rims are fine. There is still a slight vibe. I tries axel shims and it didn't help.

So, back to what I am originally trying to do. I need to shift the suspension resonance to try and move it away from the tire vib resonance. I want to do this by stiffening teh suspension as they did before with the rear springs. Therfore, I want to put the progressive OR coils on the front. The shocks won't make much of a difference for what I am trying to accomplish, but I like the way they ride better.

I am not worried about the shocks, the sport and OR and prerunner shocks are the same. According to Alldata and TRDParts4U, 4X4 OR springs are 48131AD220 (RH) and 48131AD230 (LH). Prerunner OR springs are 48131AD240 (RH) 48131AD250 (LH).

15. Sep 2, 2009 at 10:02 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    if anything the pre runner coils would be softer...because their is less weight in the front..

if theyre actually different

16. Sep 3, 2009 at 4:30 PM
    TightShirts

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    you are correct, i was mistaken- i did some more research on this and the TRD springs are progressive and the Base are not

damn, i got owned by a chick :frusty:

Products Discussed in

To Top