1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need your help and input

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by mpleitez, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Aug 31, 2009 at 9:16 PM
    mpleitez

mpleitez [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    valencia
    Vehicle:
    03 toyota tacoma double cab 4x4
    Rear E-Locker TRD supercharger w/URD 7th injector 3 in. lift (soon) Icon coil overs front (soon) Icon UCA (soon) K&N air intake DT Headers (one day)
    I recently replaced my front coilovers to icons w/ resevoir...However theother day I was driving over a bump and every time my drivers side went over the bump it sounded like a hard knock and i feel it a bit in the steering column. Could the drivers side be to high or to low? I beleive I have both sides set at 2.5 inches of height. any input would help:confused:

2. Sep 1, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    did you do install or have a shop do it? you get an alignment after? pics would help to see how far down the collars are cranked. UCA could be hitting at droop or you CV's could be maxed out... alot of possiblities. need some pics

3. Sep 2, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    mpleitez

Member:
    valencia
    Vehicle:
    Rear E-Locker TRD supercharger w/URD 7th injector 3 in. lift (soon) Icon coil overs front (soon) Icon UCA (soon) K&N air intake DT Headers (one day)

alright will take some pics as soon as I get a chance adn I will put them up. I did the install myself with my buddies help, actually he did most of the work:p I did get the alignment too

4. Sep 2, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    rpparkster

rpparkster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    TRD FJ Wheels, 285 GY DuraTrac's, Fox 2.5 C/O w/ Res, TC UCA's, Demello Sliders,AllPro 3" Leaf Pack, Walker Evans 2.0 Adj. RR, AllPro Front Bumper & IFS Skid, Timbren Bump Stops, Leather
    Did this just start making noise? Or, has it been doing it the whole time?

5. Sep 3, 2009 at 12:35 PM
    mpleitez

Member:
    valencia
    Vehicle:
    I just noticed it, but now it's bothering me since I upgraded the suspension. I want it to ride nice since it's new. It's only on the driver side and I remeber seeing somewhere that our tacos have a lean on them but i don't know if that has anything to do with it. I have both ICONS set at the same height which is about 2.5 inches

6. Sep 3, 2009 at 12:37 PM
    mpleitez

Member:
    valencia
    Vehicle:
    It only happens when I ride over a bump on the drivers side going about 25mph -30mph or faster so any input would help. I want to do more shit to my truck but don't want to until i fix that hard knock.

7. Sep 3, 2009 at 12:39 PM
    rpparkster

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    TRD FJ Wheels, 285 GY DuraTrac's, Fox 2.5 C/O w/ Res, TC UCA's, Demello Sliders,AllPro 3" Leaf Pack, Walker Evans 2.0 Adj. RR, AllPro Front Bumper & IFS Skid, Timbren Bump Stops, Leather
    Sorry buddy. Can't help much. Ask Paul, he seemed to isolate his sound.

8. Sep 3, 2009 at 12:41 PM
    mpleitez

Member:
    valencia
    Vehicle:
    You off monday? If so let's go on an offroad run? let's ask Paul if he's off too. Let me know.

9. Sep 3, 2009 at 12:50 PM
    rpparkster

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    I'm off but not sure if I was gonna do any OR'ing. Keep me posted if you guys go, I'll be around town.

10. Sep 9, 2009 at 8:58 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Question that is kinda related. Also have new Icons, when I go over speed bumps and such, I can here, what I think are the Icons, making some noise. Not a clunk or anything, kinda hard to explain but more like a 'squish squish' kinda noise. More of a newbie kinda question, but I just want to triple check that I installed everything is ok. I'm thinking that it is just the shocks compressing, but just want to make sure. Tell me this is normal guys? Do you guys with Icons here a bit of noise too?

11. Sep 9, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    shockittillyareconizeit

shockittillyareconizeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Coma PreRunner
    Front - Icon 2.5 Coilovers, Maxtrac 4" lift spindles, TC UCA's Rear - Billy's 5100/1.5 AAL, 3" lift blocks MB Predator wheels - 16x8 plasti-dipped matte black Toyo Open Country A/T 305/70/16 Satoshi grille Blacked out badges DTRL Wet Okole seat covers
    If you aren't sure if they're set at the same height, go and measure all the way around the truck to see if they're off at all. Or, if you wanna be sure they're set the same, just take em bth down to zero and do the same amount of turns on each... then measure.

Or, just don't drive over curbs at 25mph. That might be your issue. :D just kidding.

12. Sep 10, 2009 at 4:27 AM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    I saw in your photo album that you have the ICON UCA's as well. Aren't those prone to making noises like the other types of UCA's ball joints?

First thing I would do is crawl under the truck and look for any signs of metal to metal contact, from things like the arm hitting the spring, bottom of the coil hitting the sway bar etc. If you can't see any kind of paint transfer, then I would think it might be the CV's making the noise at full droop. Get a heavy passenger and see if you hear the noise on both sides. Sometimes they ship CO's uncharged as well.

13. Sep 10, 2009 at 4:43 AM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    By the way are you talking about driving over a speed bump at 25-30 MPH? If so this would explain a lot.

14. Sep 10, 2009 at 7:32 AM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    i bet it's the ball joint in the UCA. mine make alot of noise too even when i lube em up really good they still are noisy

15. Sep 10, 2009 at 8:36 AM
    Canadianboy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    When I go over a speed bump pretty slow, like 5 - 10 mph or so. It may just be the
    coils compressing or the ucas moving. I just wasn't sure if they were suppose to be making a noise? I'll get under there and re torque and check over everything today.

16. Sep 10, 2009 at 9:19 AM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    yes, some noise is fine. just add some lub to the uni ball and let it sit over night and that should help w/ most of the noise. but be sure to use a teflon based lub so you dont use a lube that will eat away at the teflon lining

17. Sep 10, 2009 at 9:46 AM
    Canadianboy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Another question about the TC UCA's. With the uni ball just out in the open and exposed, isn't it pretty easy for dirt and small rocks to get in there and fck it up? From just driving around on the pavement the last few days, I can already see a bit of dirt and such in there.

18. Sep 10, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    mpleitez

Member:
    valencia
    Vehicle:
    I had the regular ICONS without reservoir and never had a problem I got the ones with reservoir and found out what is making the clunk sound...It's the nut that holds the hose to the reservoir. It's making contact with the coilover mounts..so i'm in contact with ICON to try and get it resolved

19. Sep 10, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    yeah, it is very easy and unavoidable for them to get dirty. just gotta keep em clean and lubricated

20. Sep 10, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco â•’â•Şâ••

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    mine knock when going over speed bumps - i've isolated the noise to the inner side of the UCA rubbing on the coil when the arms drop down..

Products Discussed in

To Top