1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another lift question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Jay-Hawks, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Sep 2, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    Jay-Hawks

Jay-Hawks [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Galveston
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD 4X2
    Tube Step, Leather interior, XM, Bed Extender, Tinted Windows, Dynolock
    I know there are tons of people out here asking lift questions and I promise I have done a lot of reading but I'm still not sure what I need to do. This is the first truck I have ever owned and the issue of lifting a vehicle is totally new to me.

I use my 09 TRD Offroad DC Prerunner as a daily driver and I really don't ever go off-roading. I do tow my boat around and put some stuff in the back from time to time but nothing very heavy. What I would like to do is to install a 3" lift and it seems to me that probably the best approach for me is to add 4 5100's. I really like the 17" Moto Metal 951b but I may end up going in another direction.

Here are my questions:

1. I see where most people are doing the AAL in addition to the 5100's that but is that necessary? One thing I would like to avoid is a really rough ride (since I haul the wife and little one around all the time) and I'm concerned that adding a leaf will really make the ride rough.
    2. I see were some have used spacers in addition to the 5100's, why is this done/necessary?
    3. I like the look of the off road tires that I see on other trucks but I want a tire that will also provide decent tread life along with a quality ride and limited noise. Is there a tire that will look aggressive but not act aggressive?
    4. I would like to limit the impact on my MPG's if possible since these things don't exactly sip gas now. While I want to not kill my MPG's it's more important to me to get the look I want than the MPG's I want. How much can I expect to reduce my MPG's?
    5. I live on the south side of Houston (actually close to Galveston). Can anyone suggest a good shop to use?
    So in the end I want a truck that looks more aggressive but acts civilized, make sense?

Thanks!!!!

2. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:49 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    1. I see where most people are doing the AAL in addition to the 5100's that but is that necessary? One thing I would like to avoid is a really rough ride (since I haul the wife and little one around all the time) and I'm concerned that adding a leaf will really make the ride rough no, you dont have to use an AAL to run the 5100's in the back of the truck. if you want the lift for tire clearance look into an AAL pack wrather than a single AAL http://outlawoffroadstore.com/0/72/223/3485/shop_by_category.html?brand=ICON+Vehicle+Dynamics
    2. I see were some have used spacers in addition to the 5100's, why is this done/necessary? spacers are bad. if you are worried about a rough ride then avoid spacers. the 5100's will make the ride more stiff, but still comfortable. the 5100 are adjustable so by themselves they can give you 2.5 inch lift.
    3. I like the look of the off road tires that I see on other trucks but I want a tire that will also provide decent tread life along with a quality ride and limited noise. Is there a tire that will look aggressive but not act aggressive? so many tires choices out there. go to tirerack.com put in the size your looking for and they have a wide selection to browse from but i'd buy tires somewhere else cause you can prop find them cheaper. you'll prob want an all terrain tire and there are some aggressive looking ones ou there that you'll prob like.
    4. I would like to limit the impact on my MPG's if possible since these things don't exactly sip gas now. While I want to not kill my MPG's it's more important to me to get the look I want than the MPG's I want. How much can I expect to reduce my MPG's? not too many. the main MPG killer will be the bigger tires.
    5. I live on the south side of Houston (actually close to Galveston). Can anyone suggest a good shop to use? sorry, cant help you there i live in california
    hope, i helped and good luck man

3. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Welcome to the board and I hope you find the answers you want!!

Products Discussed in

To Top