Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Another lift question

Old 09-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
Jay-Hawks is on a distinguished road

Jay-Hawks's Tacoma Gallery
Question Another lift question

I know there are tons of people out here asking lift questions and I promise I have done a lot of reading but I'm still not sure what I need to do. This is the first truck I have ever owned and the issue of lifting a vehicle is totally new to me.

I use my 09 TRD Offroad DC Prerunner as a daily driver and I really don't ever go off-roading. I do tow my boat around and put some stuff in the back from time to time but nothing very heavy. What I would like to do is to install a 3" lift and it seems to me that probably the best approach for me is to add 4 5100's. I really like the 17" Moto Metal 951b but I may end up going in another direction.

Here are my questions:

1. I see where most people are doing the AAL in addition to the 5100's that but is that necessary? One thing I would like to avoid is a really rough ride (since I haul the wife and little one around all the time) and I'm concerned that adding a leaf will really make the ride rough.
  2. I see were some have used spacers in addition to the 5100's, why is this done/necessary?
  3. I like the look of the off road tires that I see on other trucks but I want a tire that will also provide decent tread life along with a quality ride and limited noise. Is there a tire that will look aggressive but not act aggressive?
  4. I would like to limit the impact on my MPG's if possible since these things don't exactly sip gas now. While I want to not kill my MPG's it's more important to me to get the look I want than the MPG's I want. How much can I expect to reduce my MPG's?
  5. I live on the south side of Houston (actually close to Galveston). Can anyone suggest a good shop to use?
So in the end I want a truck that looks more aggressive but acts civilized, make sense?

Thanks!!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
  1. I see where most people are doing the AAL in addition to the 5100's that but is that necessary? One thing I would like to avoid is a really rough ride (since I haul the wife and little one around all the time) and I'm concerned that adding a leaf will really make the ride rough no, you dont have to use an AAL to run the 5100's in the back of the truck. if you want the lift for tire clearance look into an AAL pack wrather than a single AAL http://outlawoffroadstore.com/0/72/2...hicle+Dynamics
  2. I see were some have used spacers in addition to the 5100's, why is this done/necessary? spacers are bad. if you are worried about a rough ride then avoid spacers. the 5100's will make the ride more stiff, but still comfortable. the 5100 are adjustable so by themselves they can give you 2.5 inch lift.
  3. I like the look of the off road tires that I see on other trucks but I want a tire that will also provide decent tread life along with a quality ride and limited noise. Is there a tire that will look aggressive but not act aggressive? so many tires choices out there. go to tirerack.com put in the size your looking for and they have a wide selection to browse from but i'd buy tires somewhere else cause you can prop find them cheaper. you'll prob want an all terrain tire and there are some aggressive looking ones ou there that you'll prob like.
  4. I would like to limit the impact on my MPG's if possible since these things don't exactly sip gas now. While I want to not kill my MPG's it's more important to me to get the look I want than the MPG's I want. How much can I expect to reduce my MPG's? not too many. the main MPG killer will be the bigger tires.
  5. I live on the south side of Houston (actually close to Galveston). Can anyone suggest a good shop to use? sorry, cant help you there i live in california
hope, i helped and good luck man
Old 09-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Hawks View Post
I know there are tons of people out here asking lift questions and I promise I have done a lot of reading but I'm still not sure what I need to do. This is the first truck I have ever owned and the issue of lifting a vehicle is totally new to me.

I use my 09 TRD Offroad DC Prerunner as a daily driver and I really don't ever go off-roading. I do tow my boat around and put some stuff in the back from time to time but nothing very heavy. What I would like to do is to install a 3" lift and it seems to me that probably the best approach for me is to add 4 5100's. I really like the 17" Moto Metal 951b but I may end up going in another direction.

Here are my questions:

1. I see where most people are doing the AAL in addition to the 5100's that but is that necessary? One thing I would like to avoid is a really rough ride (since I haul the wife and little one around all the time) and I'm concerned that adding a leaf will really make the ride rough. The 5100s DO NOT LIFT the rear. So if you want a nicer ride @ stock height you only need 5100s. For your 3 inch lift- You need 5100s in the front and the AAL with the 5100s in the back. Blocks are also an option- but they are not thought highly of- but they'll work for you.
  2. I see were some have used spacers in addition to the 5100's, why is this done/necessary? It's not necessary and indeed it's a bad idea. If you pre load the 5100s to the full lift and then put spacers on it you will be at the VERY extreme of the CV joint angles and may not be able to get a good alignment.
  3. I like the look of the off road tires that I see on other trucks but I want a tire that will also provide decent tread life along with a quality ride and limited noise. Is there a tire that will look aggressive but not act aggressive? Check out Nitto Trail or Dura Grapplers. I have Terra Grapplers and I'm very happy with them...and the Trail Graps and Dura Graps are made for extended tread life. Proper inflation (per the chalk test) and regular rotation will do alot for tread like too.
  4. I would like to limit the impact on my MPG's if possible since these things don't exactly sip gas now. While I want to not kill my MPG's it's more important to me to get the look I want than the MPG's I want. How much can I expect to reduce my MPG's? Prolly lose between .5 and 2 mpgs...I added the 3 inch OME lift and 250/70 tires and lost about 1.6. Regearing is an option to better utilize the power the engine makes. Also remember to make the tire size corrections to your MPG calculation.
  5. I live on the south side of Houston (actually close to Galveston). Can anyone suggest a good shop to use? Best of luck finding a shop...Look around your local section too- Someone might be up for doing it with you for dinner and some beers or whatever.
So in the end I want a truck that looks more aggressive but acts civilized, make sense?

Thanks!!!!
Welcome to the board and I hope you find the answers you want!!