1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100s

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 619Tacoma, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Sep 2, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma [OP] Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    I know it's been asked time and time and time and time again but i want some confimation. There are a lot of thread about the 5100's but i'm wondering if installing 5100's with the stock springs will improve or negatively affect the ride quality? possibly keep it the same?

I want to go with the ICON CO kit but i'm paying off a bunch of crap right now so i don't think it's a good idea to get some more debt at the moment. I'm sure i'll be upgrading in the future but not until i pay off some of my debt. I'd rather save up and then buy it cash.

Anyway, how is the ride with the 5100's on stock springs? As long as it doesn't negatively affect it then i'll be happy. I'll be setting them at 2.5 since i want to fit some 285/75/17. Stock Sport wheels.

2. Sep 2, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    r12rex

r12rex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleared headlights, Black emblems, Painted black valence on front bumper, 2.5" 5100 Billys front, 1.5" AAL rear, Satin black TRD O/F wheels with 265/75 16 Definity M/T, Spidertrax spacers
    You answered your own question. There have been NUMEROUS threads regarding ride quality with 5100s. The problem here is ride quality is VERY subjective to the individual. One may say it rides like a Caddy, the other like a rock. Your best bet is to meet with someone locally who has them that would be willing to give you a ride.

IMO, the ride is not bad, but I come from a heavily modded Subaru STi so "not bad" for me is in comparison to my Subie ride.

The answers you'll get here on this thread will be just as confusing as the other threads. Lol

Not to be a jack*** or anything. Please don't take this the wrong way. Hope this helps.

:)

Oh, ANYsuspension upgrade will firm up your ride. The nice thing about aftermarket coilovers or a nice set-up like OME (which I have) is the spring rates match the valving of the shock. Therefore, the ride feels better because the shock and spring compliment eachother.

My recommendation is OME shocks with springs 884 for access-cab and 885 for double cab or 886 if you have an aftermarket bumper with winch. They ride VERY well.

I HAD Bilstein 5100s, if that says anything...they are great shocks if you have a nicely matched spring with them AKA not stock, something more along the lines of Eibach or OME springs <~at which point should be a no brainer if you buy OME springs to GET OME shocks...with the stock spring, it was borderline for me. I couldn't decide if I wanted to keep them on or not...the fact alone that I thought about that made me do the switch. Plus I'm running OME shocks in the rear.

OME are butter smooth and don't heat up as fast too!

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

3. Sep 2, 2009 at 3:26 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    If you change your spring rate by either adding new coils or pre-loading your existing coils, the ride will be stiffer. No way around it.

4. Sep 2, 2009 at 3:29 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    Ryan,

Don't worry, i take no offense to your comments. I appreciate your input.

The reason i wanted to ask on a seperate thread aside from the MANY threads regarding the 5100's is because most of them talk about installing 5100's but i don't know whether they just used the 5100's with the stock springs or they installed new springs with their 5100's.

5. Sep 2, 2009 at 3:34 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    I will tell you this i had them on my stock sr5 springs and had an awesome ride with them, no complaints i took them offroading to ocotillo and they did good for the most part but no for my needs in offroading. i had them set at 2.5". Most people who have them i bet are using the existing coils no probs they are designed to use your existing coils anyway.

6. Sep 2, 2009 at 3:38 PM
    r12rex

r12rex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleared headlights, Black emblems, Painted black valence on front bumper, 2.5" 5100 Billys front, 1.5" AAL rear, Satin black TRD O/F wheels with 265/75 16 Definity M/T, Spidertrax spacers
    I see. I editted my post if you'd like to read what more I've written.

Most guys run the 5100s because they are cheap and they work. The problem with compressing the stock spring is the spring rate increases...making the ride stiffer.

There are those on here that run Eibach springs or even the toytec coilover kit with 5100s. They are supposed to ride really well with those, but again at a higher expense.

Honestly, I think the best compromise between getting something "cheap" (AKA 5100s with stock springs set to 2.5 and rear 5100s) and nice coilovers is the OME set-up.

Toytec sells a package that's fairly priced and includes everything you need.

Don't get me wrong and think I'm bashing on the 5100s. I think they are absolutely great, but with a compressed stock spring, they aren't what I wanted. I can definitely feel the spring rate being too stiff for the valving of the shock. I'm a sucker for well matched spring rates and shocks because of my Subie. The OMEs are awesome!

I recommend OMEs. If you want the Bilsteins I suggest getting OME springs with them or Eibachs. The ride with the stock spring really isn't bad, seriously, but again I was never really content with it.

Do it right the first time instead of spending more later like I did. Oh and get a ride from a local. I can name a few people on the board that live around you, but I don't want to volunteer them. LOL

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

7. Sep 2, 2009 at 3:43 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    I would definately let you ride my truck no prob but i am not running 5100's anymore.

8. Sep 2, 2009 at 4:03 PM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.
  9. Sep 2, 2009 at 5:07 PM
    r12rex

r12rex Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's per coil. You need two. $164 total.

Lol stupid fine print!

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

10. Sep 2, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    That price is for a single coil. We sell the coil set for $153.00 or $76.50ea.

11. Sep 2, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    cullensheffiled

cullensheffiled Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cullen
    georgia
    Vehicle:
    05 trd
    3 inch ome lift kit k & n air intake 33 inch pro come all terrain tires 17 inch helo rims jvc bongovi headunit 2 stage 3 rockford fosgates and 2000 watt rockford fosgat amp
    any one noe about a slr chip?

12. Sep 2, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.

even @ $153, seems like a small price to pay for a better ride. So do you use the TRD shocks, or is it best to replace those too? With 5100, or the N140? Every time I make my mind up on what I am going to do... augh

13. Sep 2, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    You would need to replace the shock as well. Either the 5100s or the OME will work great. You can run your factory shock, however the valving is not designed to handle the stiffer coil, plus since everything is going to be apart already, might as well replace them.

14. Sep 2, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    Thanks, I plan on waiting on the Sept Texas meet-up before doing anything. I want to see what others have done, and how it performs for them. I had pre-decided I wanted to do the 5100's and keep the standard spring until I read this "Damn" thread.. the seed of doubt has been planted.. "Thanks a Lot!" (Enter Sarcasm here).

-Sam

PS- I hate to beat this "5100" topic to death, but I have read the other 50 Posts and still have questions. I just need to ride in someone's truck that has 'em. thx

15. Sep 3, 2009 at 9:17 AM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    SamSter- I feel you man. That's why i started my own thread. I've heard good things about the 5100s but wanted to find out what the ride quality would be with the stock springs. Like you said, i've have my mind "made up" a few times but there is always doubt. This is my first truck and first time modding suspension so it's ALL new to me.
    Like you said, i'd like to ride in somebodies truck with different suspension but if i do that, i'm sure i'll want to go for the ICON CO kit, HaHa.

Guys, i really appreciate the input. That's exactly what i needed to know. If the ride will be stiffer, i'm not sure i want to take that route. If i go with 4 5100's & OME springs, that will be around $550. I think i'd still need an AAL so add that too. Like many people have stated, if it's going to cost me around $650 or so, i might as well save up and get the ToyTec Ultimate lift kit at around 1.1K and do it right the first time. But then i think, if i'm going to save up that much, might as well save up to get the ICON lift kit for around 1.4K with rear R. resovoir shocks. There are way too many options for someone like me. Damn this sucks!

I'm seriously stumped... I'm the type of person that prefers to pay up and get good quality rather than be cheap. only problem is i don't have 1k laying around. If someone with OME springs and 5100's in San Diego would let me ride with them, i'd love to see how it rides. If it rides good enough i would be willing to settle with that. I don't off road too often but i do have a Quad and go watch off road races a few times a year so i do like to go out to the desert.

I have 4 used BFG Mud terrain tires laying at home that i'm just dying to throw on my truck but they won't fit without a lift. The Baja 1000 is coming up in November so i want to hopefully have my lift and tires on by that time.

16. Sep 3, 2009 at 10:34 PM
    FloridaFeMan

FloridaFeMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    '10 FJ Cruiser 4x4, '09 Tacoma TRD DC Sport
    Hey 619 Tacoma, you are not alone at being a newbie with all this lift business. I have driven my wife crazy with all of the researching I've been doing here. I too, was considering the 5100s then shyed away because of several talking about a harsher ride. So that got me thinking, why not just get the Toytec Ultimate Lift? Well after multiple phone calls and picking a few brains apart, I am convinced that the best bang for the buck is the OME suspension lift kit that appears on the Toytec website for $699. Take a good look at it if you haven't already.

17. Sep 3, 2009 at 10:38 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    Whatever you plan on doing in the long run, do it right the first time. I got the toytec coils but now will be changing them out once I get the money to upgrade the suspension.

18. Sep 4, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the input FloridaFeMan. I have not heard all that much about the OME kit before...

I want to do it right the first time but shit, i need money!! I think i'm going to sell myself on Ebay or Craigslist. Lol

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  19. Sep 4, 2009 at 10:08 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.

That type of chip doesn't do anything for these trucks. It just tricks the ECU into riching the A/F Ratio. Just e-mail the company and ask for before and after dyno runs. I bet you won't receive anything back but "fluff", if anything at all.

20. Sep 4, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    r12rex

r12rex Well-Known Member

Member:

The OME kit is fantastic. You WON'T be disappointed. Honestly if you go 5100s with OME springs + AAL. Your best bet is to go to Toytec, order the OME kit and get a discount from Neubs on here. It's a complete kit that needs nothing but installation. :)

I pretty much have the same thing and love it. If you don't do much off-roading, the OMEs will be more than enough. In fact, OMEs do great off-road too. Honestly, no need for coilovers unless you have plans on some serious offroading or jumping. Lol Why spend all that $$$ and not even use it for what it's worth?

IMO, get the OME kit from Toytec, use the discount from Neubs to save you about $70, and be done with it. :) I promise you won't regret it!

No more doubts because this set-up is great! Seriously.

Get the 885 springs if you decide to go this route. 884 for Access-cab and 885 for double cabs

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top