1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need TW's Opinion!!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by grant, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Sep 3, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    grant

grant [OP] Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail 4x4
    Ok so I have burnt out my eyes reading the endless amount of information on here and I think I have a good plan...but still need some help.

To begin with, here's a little back ground info. I have an 08 DC Rugged Trail. I'm currently stationed in the Sierra Nevada mountains. There are more trails around here than I can count. But I am originally from Nebraska and I have no idea where I am going to end up living when ever I decide to settle down. So to make that long story short, I need a kit that I will be able to take into many different environments without problems. With that being said, here is my plan:

1. Icon Stage 2 Suspension System
    http://www.outlawoffroadstore.com/23773/72/223/3771/2008_TOYOTA_TACOMA_4.0_V6_GAS.html

2. UCAs

3. Tires - Looking at ProComp All Terrains 285/75/16 on my stock baja wheels.

Here are my questions:

1. I've read that the Icon kit is a very good product, but I can't decide which UCA is best for it/me. I don't want to get a cheap product and pay for it later if that makes sense. Will the Light Racing UCA's be sufficient for this application or do I need a Camburg or TC model? Or should I go with the Stage 3 Suspension kit that includes the UCAs?

2. I called Les Schwab and they said they could mount and balance the tires on my wheels. The tires state that a 7.5 to 9 inch rim range is needed. Looking at the thread with wheel dimensions, I have a 7 inch wide wheel. Les Schwab said that they could still do it but it will make the life of the tire decrease. Is it true that I can run this set up SAFELY and with little problems?

3. The Icon kit states that recommended tire size 285/75R16, wheel 16X8 with 5" back spacing. My wheel is 16x7 and I have no idea what the backspacing is. Does anyone know what it is or how I can find it? Also if it doesn't have 5" back spacing, what's my next step?

I know that my last two questions could be solved with purchasing new wheels, but I'd like to keep my Baja wheels. Also, my budget is a quality product if that makes sense (quality based on performance, not on name). Thanks for any help!

2. Sep 3, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Backspace is the distance from the mounting face of the wheel to the edge (see link above).

Offset is the distance from the centerline of the rim to the mounting face. It can be negative or positive.

Products Discussed in

To Top