Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Helper leaf springs... Anyone with experience?

Old 09-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
GeoTaco
Warren Thompson has a spectacular aura aboutWarren Thompson has a spectacular aura aboutWarren Thompson has a spectacular aura about

Name: Warren
Warren Thompson's Tacoma Gallery
Helper leaf springs... Anyone with experience?

I ordered up Superior Helper Leaf Springs with 1500 lb load rating ($30 a pair...) for my '06 DC TRD sport. I figured I could put these on for load/stability and have the option of taking them off. I researched them and most people like them. I can not find anyone on the TW forums that has any comment on these instead of the AAL option.

Does anyone have these or any comment on these? I would like to hear more from Tacoma owners on these. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
r12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant future
r12rex's Tacoma Gallery
They seem like a viable option, but may I suggest getting timbrens? They are a bit more expensive, but there is no need to put them on and remove them constantly. They work very well with no real ride difference.

Kind Regards,
Ryan
Old 09-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
GeoTaco
Warren Thompson has a spectacular aura aboutWarren Thompson has a spectacular aura aboutWarren Thompson has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Ryan. I already ordered the springs online. I did look at the Timbren site and wish I had considered these prior. I probably not take them off once installed. It all depends on the stiffness of the ride. I mean, if the truck ass-end looses traction on a washboarded road, they come off. But I do need more weight stability. We will see.

Does anyone have experience with the helper springs??
Old 09-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
r12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant future
r12rex's Tacoma Gallery
No problem. The only other thing I think COULD be comparable...might be this thread...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ll-review.html

But maybe not. Lol

Kind Regards,
Ryan
Old 09-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
GeoTaco

Shoot... Of all the TW searches I did, that never came up, or at least I missed it. That is a great DIY. I am about 45 bucks in the hole with the helper springs I bought, but, no biggie.

That was a great thread and I realize I have options. I will see what the helpers do and dont do. Thanks again Ryan for the link. Great link.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up a set from Advanced Auto parts for around $27 and installed them this afternoon. I jacked the rear up with a bottle jack at the rear hitch about 2 inches. Installed the spring in about 20 mintues. Dropped the bottle jack and the truck settled after only 1/2 an inch! Took it for a drive down my really bumpy road and found that it road smoother! the rear doesn't move much the front does most of the moving but it's fine. I dropped the tailgate and sat on it and the bed went down about an inch and stopped. thats a mark improvement over what it was doing.
BTW I have a 2004 prerunner reg cab with stock leafs. I'll let you know tomorrow after driving it to work how it feels.