Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Toytec top plate spacer question

Old 09-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Shrumple is on a distinguished road
Shrumple's Tacoma Gallery
Toytec top plate spacer question

So, I just installed a set of SAW Racerunner coilovers on my '09 DC and wanted them set at 2.5" of lift. But it took way too much preload on the coils to get there. Ended up around 2" of lift instead.

Was wondering, if I bought two of the Toytec top plate spacers (to add .5" to each side) would I need to remove the coilovers all over again? Or is there enough room in there to wedge the spacers in?

I REALLY don't want to take the front end apart again... if for no other reason than I don't wanna have to get another alignment done.

thanks
Old 09-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
But...

the coilovers I have don't have studs on top. The bolts that hold them in actually go from the top down (the coilover cap has threaded holes). So, do you think I can get the coilovers to compress that 1/4" for me to slide the spacers in???
Old 09-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold

cjimenRR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cjimenRR
I'll let you know Tuesday evening as I have the exact same setup and will be adding the spaces Tuesday. I'm pretty sure I'll b able to sneak the spacer in but I have a hoist at my job which makes things easier. Right now I'm heading to home depot to find longer bolts for the top of the coilovers
Old 09-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
r12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant future
r12rex's Tacoma Gallery
You MIGHT be able to, but if you've ever tried to compress these things even when out of the front end assembly, it's quite difficult.

My bets are you'll have to take it out anyway...

Kind Regards,
Ryan
Old 09-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
You know, in the back of my mind I agree... was hoping somebody could tell me otherwise.

Canceling my spacer order...
Old 09-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
r12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant future
r12rex's Tacoma Gallery
Not to burst anyones bubble, but why are all these coilovers that provide a 3" lift preloading the springs so much to obtain such a lift?!

I think it's ridiculous that you pay a large sum of money to only get less than what is advertised. I mean you could preload the springs to provide the full 3", but a the cost of ride compliance...wasn't that the problem with spacer lifts or lifts like the 5100s provide?!

I understand that it probably rides better than a stock set-up with compressed springs...but IMO I'd be pretty disappointed not acheiving the full 3" lift because the ride got stiff again.

I DO know that they are awesome when not crazy preloaded though!

Kind Regards,
Ryan
Old 09-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #8
Again, agreed. I'm kinda pissed that I'd have to CRANK those coils to get anywhere near 3" of lift. I'm pretty much maxed out preload-wise and I'm around 2". Maybe less.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
Rich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Rich Beauregard's Tacoma Gallery
Should have bought Old Man Emu front shocks/struts with the OME885 or OME886 Springs. www.trdparts4u.com About $425.00 and you get the lift.