1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

help me adjust my new coilovers

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by motoxmann, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Sep 7, 2009 at 6:01 PM
    motoxmann

motoxmann [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport
    Fox 2.5 RR coilovers, Fox 2.0 piggyback rear, toytec aal, TC UCA's, weathertec liners, Wet Okoles, grillcraft in the mail
    Yesterday I installed my Fox 2.5 RR coilovers and TC arms. Before I take it in to have the alignment done I want to make sure its adjusted right so I have a few questions.

I measured before the lift from the ground to the fender and got about 35.5 inches. After installing the coilovers (which are said to come shipped at 2 inches) and adjusting them 8 full turns on the collar (adding a 1/2 inch of thread) I was sitting at 38.25 ish. I drove the truck around a bit to try and get things to settle and it came back at 37.5 inches from ground to fender. Does it make sense that they lowered that much after driving a bit?

At this point I have one inch of thread showing (from the top of the threads down to the top of the lock collar), and am sitting about two inches higher than stock. The plan is to run 285's so i'd like to get another .5 inch out them. Is anyone running the new Fox extended coilovers? And if so how much thread do you have showing?

Also when I take it in for an alignment, what numbers are ideal for this setup or similar?

Thanks

2. Sep 7, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Not running the Fox's but I do know that your ganna have to go atleast with a 3" lift, to clear the 285's. And with a wheel that has a 4" backspacing.
    I just cranked mine up/down to where I was about 3" of lift, then drove it a day or so, then got the alignment. They did settle a bit. Its totally normal!

3. Sep 7, 2009 at 8:14 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
  4. Sep 7, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Oops?

5. Sep 7, 2009 at 8:45 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I posted up some wheel Back Space info, but it was for a second gen. :eek:

6. Sep 7, 2009 at 8:47 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
  7. Sep 8, 2009 at 1:44 PM
    motoxmann

motoxmann [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport
    Fox 2.5 RR coilovers, Fox 2.0 piggyback rear, toytec aal, TC UCA's, weathertec liners, Wet Okoles, grillcraft in the mail
    Thanks for the reply. I know that I'm gonna have to trim to fit 285's so I'm not too worried about that. I just wanted to make sure that the shocks settling that much was normal. Right now they're around 2.25" lift so I'm gonna try and go another .25 before I get my alignment tomorrow. I'm not gonna be putting tires on for a while so now I'm just trying to level it out a bit with the 2" AAL in the back. As far as the shock goes, I guess as long as it doesn't ride like $h!t I haven't gone too high.

Products Discussed in

To Top