Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

RIPPED OFF By SHOP???

Old 09-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
CUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of light

CUtigerfan's Tacoma Gallery
RIPPED OFF By SHOP???

I just called my local shop that was going to order tires for me and I asked for a quote to install a coil spacer leveling kit. Dude called me back and told me it's gonna cost $220 in labor to install $40 spacers!!! WTF 5times the price of the actual spacers!!!!!!! Any suggestions???
Old 09-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds about right, actually.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
CUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Are you serious??? The spacer kit and new tires was supposed to be a fairly inexpensive mod so I could live with the truck for a year til I could upgrade. It's gonna cost me right at $1000 for this.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
Wiskey Tango Foxtrot....
bwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Corporal MACS-2
Name: Ben
bwood_usmc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post

x2..... just bc they are $40 spacers does not mean there is still a decent amout of work to be done
Old 09-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwood_usmc View Post
x2..... just bc they are $40 spacers does not mean there is still a decent amout of work to be done
Damn, I'm tempted to try to run these things stock but i guess I'll just throw out the money and try to forget about it
Old 09-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Arcanite09 is a jewel in the roughArcanite09 is a jewel in the roughArcanite09 is a jewel in the roughArcanite09 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Nico
Arcanite09's Tacoma Gallery
my 189$ kit cost me $90x 2hrs + 79$ for alignment
Old 09-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
$220.00 is probably a little over 2 hours labor. I don't know how long it takes to put in the spacers, so I don't know if they are ripping you off or not. Do they have to align the truck also? That may be part of the labor cost if they do.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Do the work yourself, get a group of buddies together promise them pizza and beer after the work is done. Then when its done, its up to you either tell them to amscray or buy pizza and beer.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
Do the work yourself, get a group of buddies together promise them pizza and beer after the work is done. Then when its done, its up to you either tell them to amscray or buy pizza and beer.
#1: I'm 17
#2: my friends are idiots (but hey they're funny)
#3: I don't even know that I've got the tools to even think about attempting this.

also the $220 does not include alignment. thats another $46
Old 09-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtigerfan View Post
#3: I don't even know that I've got the tools to even think about attempting this.

Check around, get quotes from 3 or 4 shops.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
who'd you call?

id guess that thats about right

you have to remove the tires...remove the coil assembly...disassemble the coil assembly...reassemble with the spacer...and replace...twice

none of it is inherently hard to do with the correct tools/know how...and most of it even someone with no knowledge could accomplish in minimal time...however putting the spacer on the coil assembly requires a spring compressor...and the rental ones at vatozone etc are unsafe...soo...if you want it done...you'll prob have to pay...

unless of course youre near rock hill and tacomaman06 can prob get you a deal on the spacer install onto the coil spring and then you and him can put them on your truck

btw...what size tires were you planning on running?
Old 09-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i got mine done for free

also, working in a shop that has a spring compressor dosent hurt either
Old 09-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
who'd you call?

id guess that thats about right

you have to remove the tires...remove the coil assembly...disassemble the coil assembly...reassemble with the spacer...and replace...twice

none of it is inherently hard to do with the correct tools/know how...and most of it even someone with no knowledge could accomplish in minimal time...however putting the spacer on the coil assembly requires a spring compressor...and the rental ones at vatozone etc are unsafe...soo...if you want it done...you'll prob have to pay...

unless of course youre near rock hill and tacomaman06 can prob get you a deal on the spacer install onto the coil spring and then you and him can put them on your truck

btw...what size tires were you planning on running?
I'm in Aiken so Rock Hill's kinda far. It's a 5-lug so I'm plannin on runnin 235's (stock on 04 is 205)
Yeah I guess I'll have to accept the cost but I'm kickin myself right now. Those tires are so damn hard to find and I don't think they ordered them because the guy heard me hesitate about the whole coil install price. Better call em first thing in the morning.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #14
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtigerfan View Post

There is an expression that goes something like this: "You are as only as wealthy (smart, funny, helpful, etc) as your 5 closest friends."

Find some new friends or accept that having a good sense of humor is what you want for the rest of your life. I personally love a good sense of humor and I also love good friends, and nice things.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #15
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

The price of the items does not determine the amount of work to instal them. Imagine a new thrust bearing in a bell housing. Value..a few bucks. Amount of work to instal...a lot.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #16
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Research, research, RESEARCH!

Buying parts for a mod before knowing an expected total cost for the mod (fair price - decent profit for anyone you hire, but not pulling your pants down) is a good way to get in trouble...as you've found out.

Next time, call a shop and ask for an installation quote before buying the parts.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
There is an expression that goes something like this: "You are as only as wealthy (smart, funny, helpful, etc) as your 5 closest friends."

Find some new friends or accept that having a good sense of humor is what you want for the rest of your life. I personally love a good sense of humor and I also love good friends, and nice things.
Way to be "that guy"! Read it again!!! I'm 17 and don't have mechanics for friends. None of us are freakin wealthy we're seniors in high school with part time jobs tryin to have a little fun on the weekend. Cut me some slack why don't you.
My only point posting this thread was to find out what other people had payed for the same type of mod. I got the money alright but it seemed a little steep at the time.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Research, research, RESEARCH!

Buying parts for a mod before knowing an expected total cost for the mod (fair price - decent profit for anyone you hire, but not pulling your pants down) is a good way to get in trouble...as you've found out.

Next time, call a shop and ask for an installation quote before buying the parts.
I was prepared to spend a little more than projected and have more than enough to cover the mod. I was quoted the same damn thing to install spindles, new shocks and an AAL by the same shop so I was expecting a little less than that for just the spacer install
Old 09-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #19
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Brain Surgery

Tools required: about $100

Cost of Education to know HOW TO DO IT: Couple of $100,000

My personal opinion is that if you have the ability to learn, and be humble to those that can help you, this is not a hard task.

If you require price-of-part and price-to-install to be equal, I would suggest buying a pogo stick and stick with it.

Just wondering, what plans do you have for your future?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
Brain Surgery

Tools required: about $100

Cost of Education to know HOW TO DO IT: Couple of $100,000

My personal opinion is that if you have the ability to learn, and be humble to those that can help you, this is not a hard task.

If you require price-of-part and price-to-install to be equal, I would suggest buying a pogo stick and stick with it.

Just wondering, what plans do you have for your future?
HUMBLE? are you kidding me? I do have respect for the guys that have learned this stuff but I only put my ideas out to see what others who have a little more experience than myself have to say. So far you have offered NO HELP you just insist on trying to bash me. And as far as future plans go I am in the top 10% of my class so I think I might go a little farther in life than hopping on a fucking pogo stick. I'm not looking for a fight but if you don't have anything relevant/constructive to say about my question then just don't reply.