Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

new u-bolts required???

Old 09-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
new u-bolts required???

waiting for my order to arrive but was wondering if you need to use new ubolts(longer) with the rear aal that comes with the 3" toytec lift? I also ordered shims. I looked under my truck and the stockers have about an inch of thread left. will that be enough?? thank you
Old 09-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsenekos View Post
waiting for my order to arrive but was wondering if you need to use new ubolts(longer) with the rear aal that comes with the 3" toytec lift? I also ordered shims. I looked under my truck and the stockers have about an inch of thread left. will that be enough?? thank you
I don't think you have to but everyone here will suggest it since they are so cheap and I think you can stretch out the threads and weaken them. Someone will chime in with a forsure answer on whether or not they are mandatory.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
trailmaster308 is on a distinguished road

trailmaster308's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a new set of u-bolts when I put my AAL and shims on. Without the longer u-bolts there wasn't a lot of thread left on the stock ones. Plus you can usually pick them up at any auto store for next to nothing.

Just cut off the extra threads when you get the new ones on.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
I think it is recommended to never re-use U bolts. I could be wrong though
Old 09-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
All those u-bolts found in auto stores are cheap junk. They'll work, but for about $25 more you can get some nice 1/2" USA steel grade 5's instead of that grade 3 china stuff. I have 3 u-bolt options from grade 3 junk to grade 5 quality with grade 8 hardware and then monster 9/16" grade 8 with high nuts and thick flat washers. Square or round, quality is the way to go when it comes to u-bolts, just like blocks.

grade 3 china

1/2" grade 5 USA

9/16"" grade 8 USA

Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
All those u-bolts found in auto stores are cheap junk. They'll work, but for about $25 more you can get some nice 1/2" USA steel grade 5's instead of that grade 3 china stuff. I have 3 u-bolt options from grade 3 junk to grade 5 quality with grade 8 hardware and then monster 9/16" grade 8 with high nuts and thick flat washers. Square or round, quality is the way to go when it comes to u-bolts, just like blocks.

grade 3 china

1/2" grade 5 USA

9/16"" grade 8 USA

where did you get the 1/2" ones from?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsenekos View Post
where did you get the 1/2" ones from?
The 1/2" gold ones are grade 3 pep-boys specials with my upgraded hardware and the 1/2" grade 5's below them are custom bent for me at a spring shop I do business with. They are much nicer than most commonly found. The threads aren't cut as deep, which means there is no play in the nut.