Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Spring compressor

Old 09-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
Spring compressor

So my toytec lift arrived yesterday just have 2 ?'s before I attemp it
1) I ordered my kit with the 885's will one of those spring compressors they rent work ok for those its a manual one you crank it with a ratchet???
2) I want the full 3" lift out of this but could I set my 5100's at the first setting and ditch the top plate spacer good or bad idea???
thanks
Old 09-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Yes those compressors will work...Just be careful.

It's not recommended to preload the 885 springs OR use the 5100s above stock setting with lift springs.
Thank you. So i should just use the top plate spacer and forget about my brain fart idea
Old 09-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #4

I called the parts place for the rental spring compressor and he asked me "for struts or coils?" I didnt know the answer so I feel like a re tard what should my answer have been guys???
Old 09-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsenekos View Post
I called the parts place for the rental spring compressor and he asked me "for struts or coils?" I didnt know the answer so I feel like a re tard what should my answer have been guys???
Interesting, as the shock/spring assembly on the Tacoma is a Coil Over Strut.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsenekos View Post

You need a spring compressor for a strut. If you tell the guys you need a compressor that will work on a MacPherson strut, you will get the correct compressor.

Just use your head when using the compressor as it will be under tremendous load when the springs are compressed. Crank on each side a little at a time and you will be alright.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:16 PM   #8

thanks for the help guys I will go for it monday I hope I let you know how it goes