Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Questions on Icons

Old 09-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
Questions on Icons

I just have a few questions about my ext coilover Icons that I just installed.

1) I was just checking over everything in the front end. When I had the
spanner wrench in the coilover, without loosing the little allen bolt,
I would spin the spanner wrench, the shock would move left and right
in the coil. Is this normal, or did I forget to tighten something on the
Icons before I installed them?

2) I have about about 1 3/4 of thread showing. When I hit bumps and holes
in the road, I can feel them quite a bit more then when the truck was
stock. I know its not a Cadillac lol, just want to check that this is normal.
I wouldn't say that the feeling is 'harsh', but I can def notice little bumps.
I also have new tires and rims, set at 35 psi. However, I really noticed that the truck corners a lot better then stock with the Icons, huge difference here.

3) I had an alignment done, the tech set the caster at 4.4 on the left and
4.8 on the right. Is this too much caster?

This was my first time installing a lift kit myself, so I'm just double/triple
checking that I did everything right. Thanx guys.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Did the spring move just a tiny bit then stop, like slop? I would emagine that's because of how the top of the shock attaches to the top of the coilover housing/plate/gizmo that has the 3 bolts on it. If it's like Camburgs or SAWS or whatever it's a pivot joint designed to move in one particular direction but it's naturally gonna have a tiny bit of slop, I would think.

Plus there is similar/same kind of slop on the bottom too. I think.

Edit:: even if it does spin with it doesn't matter. There is nothing to keep the spring from moving when you adjust but any friction present.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Caster is way too much. It should be around 2.8*
Old 09-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleyTRD View Post
mines at 2.2 and wont go any further due to the broken cam thing (its still broken)
Ok...but it "should" be 2.8*
Old 09-11-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Ok thanx guys. What would happen with such high caster? Bumpsteer more noticable? Anything else?
Old 09-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
azTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

azTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Ok...but it "should" be 2.8*
The specified range for caster is 1.3-2.8, so 2.8 is at the upper end of the scale.

Chris... I know that you mentioned in the post I linked below, that more caster angle pulls the wheel further back towards the rear of the truck. What is the benefit in having the wheel set back further? I would think you'd have more issues with rubbing on the cab mount.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...alignment.html
Old 09-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
Taco love in East Van

I'm confused now. I thought a higher caster would move the wheel forward in the wheel well? I'm worried now about having my caster lowered and having issues with my tires hitting my cab mounts.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by azTRD View Post
The specified range for caster is 1.3-2.8, so 2.8 is at the upper end of the scale.

Chris... I know that you mentioned in the post I linked below, that more caster angle pulls the wheel further back towards the rear of the truck. What is the benefit in having the wheel set back further? I would think you'd have more issues with rubbing on the cab mount.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...alignment.html
The addition of Caster correcting UCA's moves the wheel back, an alignment brings the wheel more forward, which is why I say 2.8* Caster. Adding Caster after installing the UCA's moves the wheel forward, as the Caster adjustment is done with the LCA.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
Taco love in East Van

Thanx, I'll have to get my alignment re-done then with a lower caster. I have to jack my truck up again and re-look at everything, everytime I hit a low speed bump, its squeaking like an old, beat up junker! I have lots of teflon lub on the uni-ball, so I don't think its this. The squeaking sounds like its coming from the Icons or from the bushings on the main bolt, kinda hard to tell. But its sure annoying everytime I go over a speed bump!
Old 09-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
Taco love in East Van

Total Chaos ucas. I just had the truck up and down on the jack to cycle the suspension. I am almost 100% sure the noise I'm hearing is actually coming from the bushings on the main bolt. When the uca pivots on the bolt, you hear the noise. I put more grease through the zerks, then it started coming out the side of the bushings, so I think I have enough grease in there. The only thing I can think of, is I didn't put enough grease on the side of the bushings or between the washers and bushing??? Either that or I have the main bolt done up too tight?? I may have to take the ucas apart to figure this out, I can't live with this noise.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #12
ghostboy808 is on a distinguished road
ghostboy808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianboy View Post
I just have a few questions about my ext coilover Icons that I just installed.

1) I was just checking over everything in the front end. When I had the
spanner wrench in the coilover, without loosing the little allen bolt,
I would spin the spanner wrench, the shock would move left and right
in the coil. Is this normal, or did I forget to tighten something on the
Icons before I installed them?

2) I have about about 1 3/4 of thread showing. When I hit bumps and holes
in the road, I can feel them quite a bit more then when the truck was
stock. I know its not a Cadillac lol, just want to check that this is normal.
I wouldn't say that the feeling is 'harsh', but I can def notice little bumps.
I also have new tires and rims, set at 35 psi. However, I really noticed that the truck corners a lot better then stock with the Icons, huge difference here.

This was my first time installing a lift kit myself, so I'm just double/triple
checking that I did everything right. Thanx guys.

Mine does all of the above too. The shock rotates back and forth if you put the spanner wrench on it. I'm pretty sure that is normal, I just center it after I'm done adjusting it.

I don't know where the squeak is coming from but just happens everytime I hit a speedbump too, kind of like a little mouse is living in my shocks.

The ride will be stiffer because the icon springs are stiffer than stock. The Cadillac analogy is not accurate when people describe it as such. When you go fast and hit a bump these can recover better than stock so you won't bottom out.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostboy808 View Post
The ride will be stiffer because the icon springs are stiffer than stock. The Cadillac analogy is not accurate when people describe it as such. When you go fast and hit a bump these can recover better than stock so you won't bottom out.
X2.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #14
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

chad68's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking maybe the sound was coming from the bushings on your arms. Did you try spraying the ends of the bushings where the washers are with a little WD40? I'm wondering if like you said maybe the bushings didn't have enough grease on them when you installed them. I'm not sure but maybe those zerk fittings don't get grease to 100% of the bushings?? Maybe it's just the ends of the bushings that don't have enough grease.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
Rollinn is a jewel in the roughRollinn is a jewel in the roughRollinn is a jewel in the roughRollinn is a jewel in the rough
Rollinn's Tacoma Gallery
i just installed my icons this weekend, i think that the movement your talking about is the whole entire c/o itself moving left to right.. YES this is normal-its designed like that as there are misalignment spacers in them.. its completely normal..
Old 09-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #16
Taco love in East Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollinn View Post
i just installed my icons this weekend, i think that the movement your talking about is the whole entire c/o itself moving left to right.. YES this is normal-its designed like that as there are misalignment spacers in them.. its completely normal..
Ok, won't worry about that then. Rollin, do your Tc uca's make any noise from
the bushings on the main bolt?
Old 09-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #17
Taco love in East Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostboy808 View Post
Mine does all of the above too. The shock rotates back and forth if you put the spanner wrench on it. I'm pretty sure that is normal, I just center it after I'm done adjusting it.

I don't know where the squeak is coming from but just happens everytime I hit a speedbump too, kind of like a little mouse is living in my shocks.

Yeah I read the 'cadillac' reference I few times, then I felt the Icons to be pretty firm so I just wanted to double check. Its a truck so I'm not too concerned about this. But the truck sure corners a lot better now, almost no body roll.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #18

chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Is it possible you can jack it up and take the coilover out and cycle the suspension up and down by hand to eliminate the coilover as being the noise? Then if still there, disconnect the ball joint and just cycle the UCA up and down? That should tell you whats causing the noise?
Old 09-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #19
Rollinn is a jewel in the roughRollinn is a jewel in the roughRollinn is a jewel in the roughRollinn is a jewel in the rough
Rollinn's Tacoma Gallery
mine do not make any noise whatsoever.. I would try and loosen the main bolt and spray some white lithium grease in the bushings and then torque to specs.. It should be something very simple, but I dont think you need to remove it all in order to alleviate the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianboy View Post
Ok, won't worry about that then. Rollin, do your Tc uca's make any noise from
the bushings on the main bolt?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #20
Taco love in East Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
Is it possible you can jack it up and take the coilover out and cycle the suspension up and down by hand to eliminate the coilover as being the noise? Then if still there, disconnect the ball joint and just cycle the UCA up and down? That should tell you whats causing the noise?
Thats a good idea, I'm going to disconnect the uca ball joint tonight and move it around to see if it makes the noise. I'm pretty sure its the bushings on the main bolt making the noise. I may just take the whole uca out, clean and then re lube.