Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

I can't make up my mind on coilovers

Old 09-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
I can't make up my mind on coilovers

I've narrowed it down to Kings, ICON RR's and 2.5 Camburgs. In that order'ish.

What I like are the Kings (looks wise) but I have a felling the ICON's are as good or better than the Kings. Only reason I like the Camburgs is because they're 2.5" and not black.

I like all 3 for different reasons.

Hate to say it but I like the Kings because they are blue and I know that is not the right way to pick a coilover. I do like the way the Kings route their hose and reservoir over the ICON's. I do like that the ICON's use the nitro steel shaft that won't chip and rust like the Kings. Have also heard that ICON put more R&D into their shocks for the Tacoma. I was following a long term FJ thread about a guy that had the Kings all around and at 27,000 miles he had them rebuilt and the front coils still looked brand new, while his rear Kings looked sandblasted. I have made up my mind on the ICON RR rear shocks, since they are only $370 for both from Outlaw and they use a boot to protect the shaft.

Think I should just do ICON's all around? Ever since I was a kid back in the early 80's and BMX days, I have had this thing for blue anodized parts. On the other hand when they get caked in mud guess it doesn't make much difference.

The ICON's are 300 bucks cheaper than the Kings and that 300 pays for 3/4 of the what the RR shocks cost.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Fox.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

There is a guy on here selling a front and rear set of Kings for $1400.00 They are the Resi CO's and Resi Rear shocks.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
jackal is just really nicejackal is just really nicejackal is just really nicejackal is just really nice
jackal's Tacoma Gallery
who cares?

i just picked up my icon remote-resi c/o's and my remote resi rear shocks are on back order. they look great but honestly man they're all about the same. lets face it, you're not going to use them to their potential anyhow so why stress it?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
There is a guy on here selling a front and rear set of Kings for $1400.00 They are the Resi CO's and Resi Rear shocks.

Hmm well that's a lot better than $2,200 new. Who's selling them?

Never mind found it.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
Hmm well that's a lot better than $2,200 new. Who's selling them?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...ront-rear.html
Old 09-13-2009, 07:52 AM   #8

chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Fox.

Actually that is what I wanted until they changed to black LOL. If I recall the Fox's have the nitro steel shafts like the ICON's which is a nice plus. They are also about a 100 bucks cheaper than Kings too.

I really need to get the whole color BS thing out of my head.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
Actually that is what I wanted until they changed to black LOL. If I recall the Fox's have the nitro steel shafts like the ICON's which is a nice plus. They are also about a 100 bucks cheaper than Kings too.

I really need to get the whole color BS thing out of my head.
Personally, Kings and Fox are pretty similar, and better than Icon.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
azTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

azTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Personally, Kings and Fox are pretty similar, and better than Icon.
What makes them better?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
JATaco will become famous soon enough
JATaco's Tacoma Gallery
fox 2.5
Old 09-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by azTRD View Post
What makes them better?
The last set of Icons I tried were Donahoe. They had a digressive valving (which I hear they changed to a progressive damping), while the Kings and Fox have a more speed sensitive progressive design. First bit of travel is soft, then as you blow thru the travle, they dampen more to help avoid bottoming. In fast terrain, which is mostly what we have out here, the Fox and Kings ride SUPER smoot on the washed out desert roads, where as the Donahoes seemed to want to "pack up". The Donahoes seemed to rebound a little slower than the Fox and Kings, which is good for jumps and such, but not so much on washed out roads. Just my oppinion.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
azTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

azTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The last set of Icons I tried were Donahoe. They had a digressive valving (which I hear they changed to a progressive damping), while the Kings and Fox have a more speed sensitive progressive design. First bit of travel is soft, then as you blow thru the travle, they dampen more to help avoid bottoming. In fast terrain, which is mostly what we have out here, the Fox and Kings ride SUPER smoot on the washed out desert roads, where as the Donahoes seemed to want to "pack up". The Donahoes seemed to rebound a little slower than the Fox and Kings, which is good for jumps and such, but not so much on washed out roads. Just my oppinion.
Thanks for elaborating.