Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

AAL Settled more than expected - what to do?

Old 09-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
bjamison01 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brent
bjamison01's Tacoma Gallery
AAL Settled more than expected - what to do?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help with this.

Installed my lift about 2 weeks ago. Among other parts, I went with a toytec aal (non-tsb) and 5100s in the rear and icons up front.

Once installed i set everything to a level height and wound up with about 3 inches of lift all around. Unfortunately, I'm just noticing that the truck is now starting to rake upward. Seems like the rear AAL's are starting to settle and I've lost about a 1/2 inch of clearance in the back. I know I could just lower the front C/O's but really liked the height it was at when first installed. So I'm wondering what my options might be to get more height in the back again.

I was looking at installing a 1 inch block in addtition to the ALL, but everything I've read here says to stay the hell away from blocks .

Anyone have any other ideas or solutions? Dakar pack maybe?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
shockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to all
Name: Dustin
shockittillyareconizeit's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. Probably another leaf. Whether it's another 1.5 or a whole pack and just take out the first one you put in. kinda sucks to have to do that.

Mine has settled quite nicely and now i have that super mean cali lean. just a little bit though. not totally bro'd out.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjamison01 View Post
I was looking at installing a 1 inch block in addtition to the ALL, but everything I've read here says to stay the hell away from blocks .

Anyone have any other ideas or solutions? Dakar pack maybe?
yes, stay away from blocks.

any leaf spring is going to settle over time, cant avoid it. some will settle more than others and quicker than other. alot of factors go into it. but a whole new leaf pack should settle less and be a better choice than any AAL. dakars are good and deavers and alcans are also available.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same thing happen. I installed a 1" block and didnt notice any adverse effects from it. Its a cheap, easy solution to the problem and I'd recommend doing it. The neg wrap that blocks get is from the larger ones(like 3"+) that some lifts come with which increase the leverage on the leafs and lead to excessive axlewrap. With only a 1" block, you shouldnt even notice it.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
bjamison01 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brent
bjamison01's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments. I wound up going with the 1 inch block solution with the AAL as it really was the simpler, cheaper solution for the time being. No noticeable difference in ride quality. Interestingly enough, the truck looks like its back to the same factory rake it originally had, only three inches higher front and back.

My only concern now is how much more settling may happen in the coming months. I don't want the front any lower or the rear any higher. it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. In either case, thanks everyone for the advice.