Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

steering shaking after adding 3" lift

Old 09-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
tstreet is on a distinguished road
Name: Troy
tstreet's Tacoma Gallery
steering shaking after adding 3" lift

After adding a 3' sup. lift kit to my 2008 tomoca, Im having alot of steering shaking at speeds between 40-55 mph. Wheels have been rebalanced, new BF Goodrich all terrian tires. 33x11.5. still shakes. Anyone know a fix for this ?
Old 09-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
azTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

azTRD's Tacoma Gallery
You mentioned the wheels being balanced... but did you have an alignment done after your lift?
Old 09-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
azTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

azTRD's Tacoma Gallery
A number of trucks will get drive line vibrations after lifting their trucks... are you sure it's coming from the front end (steering) or could it be coming from the drive line? I'm just trying to narrow down what the possible cause might be.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstreet View Post
After adding a 3' sup. lift kit to my 2008 tomoca, Im having alot of steering shaking at speeds between 40-55 mph. Wheels have been rebalanced, new BF Goodrich all terrian tires. 33x11.5. still shakes. Anyone know a fix for this ?
]After adding a 3' sup. lift kit to my 2008 TACOMA, <---fixed it for you, unless it is a one of a kind....then I apologize.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Rotate your tires....put the front tires in the rear and rear tires in the front.

Drive it and see what happens.

If the steering wheel doesn't shake, then you have a problem with one or both of the wheels/tires that are currently installed in the rear.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
mine seems to do that too after I did a 3" lift arounf those speeds too its not really bad but it wiggles back and forth I rechecked my tire psi etc still has it
Old 09-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
dabighi has a little shameless behaviour in the past
dabighi's Tacoma Gallery
not exactly sure what kit you have on there..but did you replace the uca's?? it may be that your alignment is off and you just seem to notice the "shaking" more at those speeds.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
If you still have your stock tires and rims, put them back on and take it for a spin. If it still shakes, then you have eliminated your new tires as the problem.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
Padilla1880's Tacoma Gallery
Did you have an alignment after your lift install? Get your wheels Road Force Balanced. Just enter your location and it will find the closets Road Force Balancer near you.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
tstreet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstreet View Post
Forgot to mention that i also had the front end re aligned after ballancing. tires were switched from front to back. It made it a little better ,but not much.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #13
tstreet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azTRD View Post
You mentioned the wheels being balanced... but did you have an alignment done after your lift?
Had alignment done also, everything checked out fine.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #14
tstreet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azTRD View Post
A number of trucks will get drive line vibrations after lifting their trucks... are you sure it's coming from the front end (steering) or could it be coming from the drive line? I'm just trying to narrow down what the possible cause might be.
Not sure where its coming from! Switched front to back tires, made slight differance, but not much. Is it possible these guys sold me a bad tire? Reaction from truck seems to change as the weather changes.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #15
tstreet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabighi View Post
not exactly sure what kit you have on there..but did you replace the uca's?? it may be that your alignment is off and you just seem to notice the "shaking" more at those speeds.
toyota ready lift installed 3" 600 dollor lift. All the rest is factory .
Old 09-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #16
tstreet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsenekos View Post
mine seems to do that too after I did a 3" lift arounf those speeds too its not really bad but it wiggles back and forth I rechecked my tire psi etc still has it
Same here brother.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #17
tstreet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabighi View Post
Did not replace the uca's . Replaced with 3" ready lift . They said that was all I NEEDED.Maby I got taken for a ride!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #18
tstreet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianboy View Post
If you still have your stock tires and rims, put them back on and take it for a spin. If it still shakes, then you have eliminated your new tires as the problem.
Good idea I'll try this.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #19
cgilbane will become famous soon enoughcgilbane will become famous soon enough
Name: Chris
cgilbane's Tacoma Gallery
what came in this Toyota ready kit?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #20
cgilbane will become famous soon enoughcgilbane will become famous soon enough
Name: Chris
cgilbane's Tacoma Gallery
is this the kit you got?
http://www.readylift.com/c-104-tacom...75-30f10r.aspx