1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ETA on ICON rear shocks??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by chad68, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Sep 19, 2009 at 1:57 AM
    chad68

chad68 [OP] Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    I keep hearing there seems to be a long'ish wait on people getting their RR rear ICON shocks. How long are you guys having to wait? Are they making these on a order by order basis? Nobody at ICON seems to pick up the phone. Just wondering if I place my order in a couple weeks, if I will get them by Thanksgiving lol.

2. Sep 19, 2009 at 12:30 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
  3. Sep 19, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Mine just showed up. It took about 2 weeks from when I ordered to when they showed up.

4. Sep 19, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    You get them installed yet?

5. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Those squeeks still gone? How are those front resi's working out? You get then set to ride nice?

6. Sep 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    Canadianboy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    The rear shocks have not been installed yet, but very soon. The annoying squeak that I had from my TC bushings are back again, but only on my passenger side. I put so much grease on those damn UCA's the second time I installed them, I have no idea what the problem is. I can't live with the noise, its very annoying. I'm going to look at the truck today and try to figure it out. But, I tell you what, if I gotta take those darn things off again, they are not going back on. I'll buy something else.

7. Sep 20, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
  8. Sep 20, 2009 at 12:39 PM
    Canadianboy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    ^^^ I didn't realize you could use those on the 4x4, I thought they were only for prerunners. I'm kinda wishing I bought those instead now because squeak squeaking everytime I hit a little bump is pretty annoying. I'm pretty sure its not my uniball, the noise is coming from my bushings.

9. Sep 20, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    looks like chris 4x4 might have to show up and defend his favorite UCA's. I'm sure he'll be able to help you slove the problem, he's a TC guru.

10. Sep 20, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    I wonder if heim joints make more noise than the bushing arms???

Seems weird that the uni ball joints would make noise if they were properllly lubed and often. Since the uniball is so open and exposed to all the elements, Can't ya use a motorcycle chain wax on those uniballs? It's thicker than teflon spray and doesn't attract dirt as much as other chain lube like that blue chain lube stuff does.

Maybe they will quiet down once all the parts settle and mesh in time and some of the bushing grease gets soaked into the bushing material? I would give it a little more time and turn the radio up for a while.

11. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    ^ i've had the UCA's on for 7 months now, i dont think the noise is gonna go away. luckily for me i doesnt bother me too much and thanks for the idea about the chain wax, i'll look into that.

as for the heim UCA's only working on prerunner's i have no idea but i dont see why 4WD tacoma's couldn't use them

12. Sep 21, 2009 at 6:48 AM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    Anybody happen to have a video or sound clip of the noise? I'm really curious how loud it is. Seems like the only arms that are quiet are stock and light racing arms.

I'm going to be getting 2.5 resi coilovers here in a bit and I'm going to need to go with some kind of aftermarket arm because at full droop my passenger arm misses the spring only because the spring is positioned just right and the arm stops at full droop in between two coil wounds. If the springs were turned 180 degress, looks like it would just barely touch the spring at full droop. The drivers side misses the spring by 1/4-3/8" max. Seems odd there is such a difference from one side to the other. I'm guessing due to factory tolerances.

Since I'm putting my car up for sale in a couple weeks, think I'm going to get the ICON UCA's since they don't have heims instead of bushings and they correct camber and are adjustable without removing them 10 times to get the alignment set. If I'm lucky they will make noise at the uniball and the heims LOL.

Products Discussed in

To Top