Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Is TSB Necessary?

Old 09-26-2009, 03:31 AM   #1
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Is TSB Necessary?

After reading all the post and negative response to leveling kits I will be going with the 5100's to level the front since I plan using my truck for off roading.

I have an 08 TRD Off Road. Is there a TSB for that year and how important is it for me to get it with the upgraded shockes in the front? Or do I just go with AAL? Or is it even necessary to do anything with the back?

If the TSB is available for my truck, how do I check that it hasn't already been done since I bought it used? And if I need to get it done, how do I go about doing that with a dealer?
Old 09-26-2009, 04:12 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
There are many TSB's for your truck.

But it appears you are referring to the leaf spring TSB or 'Harsh Ride' TSB.

If you look at your rear leaf springs - how many do you have?
If you have 2 leafs + overload (total of 3) = you do not have the TSB done.
If you have 3 leafs + overload (total of 4) = you have the TSB.

It is not necessary to get it done. It's FREE to have it done only if you're still under warrantee.

You have to contact the dealer about having it done. Complain to them about having a 'harsh ride' and that it bottoms out when you load it up.

Perhaps someone in your area whose already had it done - can tell you which dealership to get it done at. Some dealerships do it without question while others won't do it.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:18 AM   #3
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowham View Post
After reading all the post and negative response to leveling kits I will be going with the 5100's to level the front since I plan using my truck for off roading.

I have an 08 TRD Off Road. Is there a TSB for that year and how important is it for me to get it with the upgraded shockes in the front? Or do I just go with AAL? Or is it even necessary to do anything with the back?

If the TSB is available for my truck, how do I check that it hasn't already been done since I bought it used? And if I need to get it done, how do I go about doing that with a dealer?
Good choice on the 5100's. (but you don't 'need' them to offroad, the trd or is plenty capable stock)
Yes the 08 is covered on the TSB.
TRD editions do not get upgraded shocks in the front.
TRD editions get 4 leafs in the rear only.
Look to see if your truck has 3 or 4 leafs in the rear and thats how you will know if it has been done.
You don't "need" it unless you plan on hauling loads or if you have loaded your truck w/less than payload and it sits/hits the bumpstops.
If you decide to get it done, do it before you are out of 3yr/36k miles warranty, and just tell the dealer you "have a harsh ride when loaded and would like the rear leaf tsb#..." print it out and take it to them.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:03 AM   #4
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxySandChick View Post
tell the dealer you "have a harsh ride when loaded and would like the rear leaf tsb#..." print it out and take it to them.
Where do I find it to print it out?

How do I find others in my area that have already done it to find the best dealer?
Old 09-26-2009, 05:19 AM   #5
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Where do I find it to print it out?

How do I find others in my area that have already done it to find the best dealer?
print it from here
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ta-tacoma.html

The TSB to print out: Attachment 12181

Search this thread for dealers in your area...or just take it to the closest dealer and ask them.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsion-tsb.html
Old 09-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #6

Awesome! Thank you so much for your help Foxy!!

I checked and there is only the 3 leaf springs so hopefully I can get this done.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:16 AM   #7
dreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to behold

dreamnz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Awesome! Thank you so much for your help Foxy!!

I checked and there is only the 3 leaf springs so hopefully I can get this done.
I had this done today on my 08. Same story here, bought it used. Mine already had a 2.5 inch leveling kit on the front and sat slightly nose high. Today with the rear leaf TSB, it's sitting perfectly level.

The ride is just fine on-road. Woohoo...free upgrade! Get it while you can.