1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Greasing TC UCAs

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by bigmooze, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Oct 17, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Do your UCA's make more or less noise than the leafs? My leafs squeek and creak but I ignore it. Are the UCA's louder than the leafs?

2. Oct 17, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Instructions that come with the TC UCAs state to grease the INNER DIAMETER of the bushing and OUTER DIAMETER of the bushing sleeve only.

Nowhere is it instructed to grease the OD of the bushing. I've read a few posts on TTORA of guys saying NOT to do so, because you want the pivot to be the bushing sleeve and mounting bolt inside the bushings, not the bushings inside the mounting sleeve of the UCA.

Can anyone shed some light? Are most folks greasing the fuck out of the whole bushing, or just the instructed areas?

3. Oct 17, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I followed TC's instructions, and they squeaked. After that, I disassembled them, and greased the bushings all over, and the squeak was gone. I have done this on all the UCA's I have installed, and they have all been squeak free.

4. Oct 18, 2010 at 4:16 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    Hmmm. With the supplied grease zerks, fresh grease would be aimed at the gap between the two bushings. I recall that the ID of the bushings are "siped" probably to allow grease to move along the ID. The new grease I put in is likely displacing the Teflon grease that I used on the sleeve and ID's, rather than coating the OD of the bushing. Just a thought.

5. Oct 18, 2010 at 6:19 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

I took Chris's advice and did the OD with a light coat. No squeaks and no issues with pivot. ::shrug::

6. Mar 13, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    LoadedTaco

LoadedTaco Kick A$$ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    I know this is a really old thread, but I am installing my TC UCA tomorrow or saturday and just want to make sure I use the right grease.

What is the "right" grease for the poly bushings.

A saw a video and they put anti-seize all over it first.

The part I am talking about is at 2:15
    http://youtu.be/z924nd-iP7c

Products Discussed in

To Top