Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Greasing TC UCAs

Old 09-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Greasing TC UCAs

Before I install my TC UCAs, I would like some guidance on the amount of grease I should be pumping into each zerk of my new TC UCAs. Would it be safe to pump it in until I hear it start seeping out, just like the U-joints on my driveshaft?

I was planning to use the same Lithium-based grease (NLGI-2) as I used for my U-joints - anyone see any problem with that?

T-minus three weeks until the install
Old 09-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Rub grease ALL OVER the bushings BEFORE you install them into the UCA. Then, give about 4 pumps of grease, drive it around, then 3 more pumps 2 days after install, drive it for 2 days, then 3 more pumps. Repete this for a week. THEN, a few pumps every 4 to 6 months should be fine. DO NOT try and pump them untill the "pop" or seep out the side, as this will cause the bushings to bulge out, and can leade to larger issues or damage to bushings.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmooze View Post
Duly noted, thanks Chris.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah make sure that you put a lot of grease all over the bushings and the washers and do not over tighten the top mount bolt. I'm still having an issue with my passenger side tc uca squeaking and creaking everytime I hit a bump, its pretty darn annoying. And I put a lot of grease during install. I'm going to uninstall, clean and re-grease a third time in hopes of getting rid of this very annoying noise. I'm going to try to record it so you guys can hear what I mean.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
azTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

azTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianboy View Post
Yeah make sure that you put a lot of grease all over the bushings and the washers and do not over tighten the top mount bolt. I'm still having an issue with my passenger side tc uca squeaking and creaking everytime I hit a bump, its pretty darn annoying. And I put a lot of grease during install. I'm going to uninstall, clean and re-grease a third time in hopes of getting rid of this very annoying noise. I'm going to try to record it so you guys can hear what I mean.
How do you know it's the UCA making the squeaking noise? Is it possible that it's something else? Just curios... because it sounds like you have them lubed up and installed correctly.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
my squeak like crazy.... very aggravating! ofcourse my rear springs squeak alot to soooo...... o well
Old 10-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Installed my TC UCAs yesterday and greased the bushings well. When I went to apply more grease in the zerks it took only two squirts before I heard the cracking of grease... Am I in trouble now? I stopped at that point, figuring there was enough grease inside. I'll wait a while until trying to force more grease in.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, you will be able to tell.

IMO I like the sound of squeaky bushings, but I hate the sound of squeaky coils and leafs
Old 10-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #13

Grease oozing between the bushings is no biggie. Give a couple pumps of grease, drive it a couple days, then give a couple more, and repete in 3 days. That should be good. You dont want to over grease them, and cause a bushing to bulge out.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
is it a good idea when regreasing them to back off the bolt so the assembly is semi loose, grease them and articulate the uca (suspension) then retighten the bolt? that might relieve some buldging issues??
Old 10-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
is it a good idea when regreasing them to back off the bolt so the assembly is semi loose, grease them and articulate the uca (suspension) then retighten the bolt? that might relieve some buldging issues??
It cant hurt. I dont think you "need" to do it that way though.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #17

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand the bulging issue. How can the bushings bulge if they are in tight and compressed by the washers?
Too much pressure from the grease can cause them to bulge out between the washer and UCa mount.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #19

Quote:
OK thanks. How would the problem manifest itself? I would assume that the bushings become uneven and let water etc between the bushing and UCA then?
The problem arises when too much grease is pumped into the bushings. many folks install the UCAs, and get happy with the grease gun. Too much pumping, can push the bushings out.