1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Test for axle wrap

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by machman, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Sep 27, 2009 at 6:22 PM
    machman

machman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Alabama
    Vehicle:
    03 DC PreRunner TRD V6
    I have been troubled by the supposed axle wrap issue. I was very skeptical that the thump/clunk issue was related to the leaf springs. I was certain that it was related to the transmission or slack in the drivetrain.

Well today I took C-clamps and clamped the leaf springs to the overload about 4-5 inches infront of and behind the axle and took it for a drive. Guess what??? The thump/clunk was DRASTICALY reduced. This proves that my "thump/clunk" is directly related to axle wrap. BTW, it rode pretty bad like this.

What is weird is that some trucks have this issue and some don't. I wonder if Toyota has different plants that make thier leaf springs.

I don't want to raise my truck. It looks like either new (stock hight) springs or traction bars for me....eventually. I have been leaning toward making my own traction links. I was wonding about a single link on the driver side that is mounted to the forward leaf spring mount and a mount welded onto the axle.:notsure:

2. Dec 6, 2009 at 12:08 PM
    Racer78

Racer78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4 Sport
    Billstiens 5100 @1.75, 5125, 1.5 AAL,Leaf Spring TSB,TRD Intake, Roof Rack, Satoshi Grill, BHLM,T-Rex Eyelids, Undercover Cover, Powdercoated Sport Rims, KC Slimline 8" Lights, MTX ReQ5 w/ipod imput, 12" Shallow Pioneer Sub, RF 800.4 amp, JBL Comp, Bed Ext, USB Port, Shorty Antena, Spider Trax Spacers,TRD Skid Plate, Napier Sportz Tent II, Scangauge II, AirBedz
    Hey, thanks for the info. I have an issue too. Are you talking about when your driving and lift of the gas and coast long enough to "unload" the tranny and then get back on the gas and there is a clunk when reloading or spooling up the transmission? Thats what I have right now. It feels like a bad tranny mount but the dealer said its fine? I was thinking of having the fluids flushed and replaced?

3. Dec 6, 2009 at 1:12 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...That sounds like axle wrap....It occurs as the torque forces from the drivetrain twist the axle housing....It curves the springs for and aft insted of up and down....so it'll load and unload with that clunk.

4. Dec 7, 2009 at 5:24 AM
    fauskar

fauskar Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Hitch
    Just did an "AAL" and my axle warp has been reduced significantly. Not gone all together but much better.

5. Dec 7, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    machman

Member:
    NE Alabama
    Vehicle:
    03 DC PreRunner TRD V6
    I have since decided to probably go with a AAL and some 5100's on the front to raise the front proportionaly.

6. Dec 7, 2009 at 2:39 PM
    machman

Member:
    NE Alabama
    Vehicle:
    03 DC PreRunner TRD V6
    Which AAL did you go with and how much did it raise your rear? What year is your truck? Did you go anything with the front?

7. Dec 8, 2009 at 5:37 AM
    Racer78

Racer78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4 Sport
    Billstiens 5100 @1.75, 5125, 1.5 AAL,Leaf Spring TSB,TRD Intake, Roof Rack, Satoshi Grill, BHLM,T-Rex Eyelids, Undercover Cover, Powdercoated Sport Rims, KC Slimline 8" Lights, MTX ReQ5 w/ipod imput, 12" Shallow Pioneer Sub, RF 800.4 amp, JBL Comp, Bed Ext, USB Port, Shorty Antena, Spider Trax Spacers,TRD Skid Plate, Napier Sportz Tent II, Scangauge II, AirBedz
    I did the Bilstiens all around set at 1.75 up front and a Fabtech 1.5 AAL and have these issues. The Fabtec's squeak like mad if I dont lube them once a week. I need to replace them with ones with pads..

So, would shims help with the wrap or is there something elso that can be done?

Thanks

8. Dec 8, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    fauskar

fauskar Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Hitch
    09' Access, 4L, 6sp manual, 4X4, Toytec 2" - Raised rear 2" exactly. Before F/R:34"/36" and after: 34"38". Nothing done to raise front. I going to let the AAL settle over the winter first and then re-evaluate.

But yes, the axle wrap did settle down nicely. I noticed it mostly while backing up hill out of the driveway. When I let out in the clutch nera the top the axle would wrap noticeably.

9. Dec 15, 2009 at 11:25 PM
    yfz450admirer

yfz450admirer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 TRD 4x4
    I have heard that dynachrome helper springs from autozone put on backwards can help.

Products Discussed in

To Top