1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Warranty WorK???

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by lineberw, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Jan 23, 2008 at 7:45 PM
    lineberw

lineberw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    :mad:
    Two Thursdays ago I mad a plan to put on my EZ Lift Suspension kit. A buddy on mine was helping me do this whom has been a mechanic for a long time. We jack up the front end and take both tires off. He then notices that the right front CV Boot was slid down and there was grease all over the front suspension. I'm a busy person and had been waiting for this day a long time so I went ahead and put the lift on. The next day I got my tires mounted, balanced, and a front end alignment. The gut at Geralds tire shop said, "take it to the dealer and have them look at it." So immediately they said, that's not covered because you have as lift kit. I only have 23,000 on my truck. I forked the 230.00 repair bill. Do you think this is right.

2. Jan 23, 2008 at 8:11 PM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    Seems like if you told them that you noticed it before the lift was installed that the honerable thing for them to do would be to take care of it under warranty.

3. Jan 23, 2008 at 8:24 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    honorable??? what's that???

that one is sticky, why should the dealer take your word for it? i hate it, but dishonest people have ruined so many things..... i'm not sure if they would or not. my guess is no, but it is just a guess.

4. Jan 23, 2008 at 8:37 PM
    lineberw

lineberw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    See the thing is I have proof and witnessess that know it happened before the lift. Anyways I have been told that the Magnuson-Moss Waranty Act states that they have to prove how the kit damaged this, which they can't. Is this true.

5. Jan 23, 2008 at 8:43 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    this is the headline from the copy of the MMWA on autoanything.com....

"According to the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause or contributed to the failure of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)). It’s always best to work with a performance-oriented dealership, but no matter who you choose, you’re protected by the law."

here is the link to it in case u wanna read it for yourself....MMWA Link

6. Jan 25, 2008 at 9:36 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    No its not right that you had to pay the bill, but you really should have seen that one coming. I would have waited to put the lift on and then taken it to the dealer, then found time to put the lift on in the future

7. Jan 25, 2008 at 12:22 PM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    Of course it's too late now, but if you had a digital camera and had taken a photo before the lift install, that might have been enough for the dealer.

8. Jan 25, 2008 at 5:03 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    We live in a very litigious world, and I say is this is a lesson learned oh too well, I love to the look of a lifted truck, but won't because of the sticky issues that arise afterwards. I am sorry this cost you 230 dollars, but as said in an earlier thread, get the work done first, then put the lift on. Before putting on anymore mods, I would contact the service desk at the dealer and go over what they consider warranty voiding products. Knowledge is always on the backside of experience.

9. Jan 25, 2008 at 5:39 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    jedi, did i hear you right? you are lifting your truck as soon as your warranty runs out? :rolleyes:

10. Jan 26, 2008 at 6:50 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    No I am staying stock height, I did not explain clear enough, DOH !

11. Jan 27, 2008 at 8:30 AM
    mikenredding

mikenredding Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 sr5 tacoma access cab 4x4
    Thats why I'm having the TSB done 1st before I install my lift kit.

Products Discussed in

To Top