Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Is it my wheels are to big or are my shocks bad

Old 09-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
"I Brake for Tailgaters"
prerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
prerunnerSD's Tacoma Gallery
Is it my wheels are to big or are my shocks bad

Truck is riding rough over bumps. I am getting conflicting info about my truck. One mechanic says my wheels are to large and thats causing the truck to not handle well over bumps another person says i need new shocks. Whats your opinion?

Truck has 170K Miles on it.
I have the original shocks in the truck.

Truck is rated for P225/75R15 tires and Right now it has on it P235/70R16.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
"I Brake for Tailgaters"
prerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
prerunnerSD's Tacoma Gallery
wheels

are the wheels to big for the truck though too??
Old 09-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
if you shocks are bad the truck will not dampen. Bounce the bumper and it should come to a stop after 1 or 2 oscillations. If not, your shocks are blown.

You could have put tires with a higher load range. That will cause the truck to ride stiff.
its tough to diagnose over the internet because "rough" is subjective.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
stevenb5214 will become famous soon enough

Army: spc a co 40th signal battalion
Name: steven
stevenb5214's Tacoma Gallery
shocks with that many miles your better off changing shocks any way so thats one way to find out just get it out of the way
Old 10-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookylookitzadam View Post
if you shocks are bad the truck will not dampen. Bounce the bumper and it should come to a stop after 1 or 2 oscillations. If not, your shocks are blown.

You could have put tires with a higher load range. That will cause the truck to ride stiff.
its tough to diagnose over the internet because "rough" is subjective.
I'll agree with subjectivity with rough. I thought my swayaways were like solid steel rods the first time i took it offroad, but many of my friends just concluded that it was a normal truck ride.

Yeah, you could also conduct the ASE technical test for shocks...which is exactly what he just said to do - jump on the bumper and count the bounces .
Old 10-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
What they told you that your tires are too big?? HAHA!!! Thats funny!!! The stock 225/75R15 are 28.3in tall your tires are 28.9in tall. If you think about it they offered a factory option for 265/75R15 that are 30.6in tall so you deff. dont have too tall tires on there. That was just an excuse that dude used that way he would not have to work on it. I would deff. look into the shocks.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:03 AM   #9
Wandering But Not Lost
Rattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to behold

Rattler's Tacoma Gallery
My wife's '04 Ford Escape had @ 165k on it and was riding poorly. I took it to a friend's front end shop (he does the work on her truck for us) and asked if it could use some new struts being that it has that many miles. He told me to have a new set of tires put on first and see how it is. I was surprised that it fixed the ride. That truck has had no major malfunctions with 175k on it. The biggest job has been the brakes.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:18 AM   #10
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
My 2000 xtra cab rode like $#!t at about 100,000 until i changed the shocks and struts. After changing those out, it rode GREAT. I actually had Sears throw on some Monroes (free installation w/ purchase) and a buddy did the fronts at his shop.

Unfortunately, that was about 6 months before it failed the frame / hammer test. Also just put new rubber on the damn thing on 15's that obviously won't work on the 09' DC. Took some of the luster out of the $15,000+ Toyota gave me for the truck.