Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

AAL Install. (second gen)

Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #321
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmstu View Post
Gentlemen, After reading the entire thread I have not seen any comments in regards to a squeaky leaf pack after install. I have provided a few pictures to help explain my case but am still puzzled on options for correcting the squeak. I have purchased rubber and just require the proper tools to pry the leafs apart to place as spacers in between the "nub" and the new AAL where I believe my squeak is coming from.

AAL's came from a 3" procomp lift ES9000's. I never noticed a side that was longer than the other as the leaf has even spacing onto the leaf brackets.

My 2012 4x4 double cab has 4 brackets around the package.

Does the AAL go inside the bracket?
Should I just cut the AAL to stop the sound? (but then file down edges as per another thread)
Did I install incorrectly and just need to redo?

Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for helping a first timer.

Stu
The most common reason for squeaks is dirt. Take them apart, clean them, and re assemble.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #322
hemmstu is on a distinguished road
Name: Stu
hemmstu's Tacoma Gallery
Ten four. I'll give that a try. Thank you Chris for the advice. But also curious if you thought that the positioning of the aal directly seated on the underside of that bracket via the picture seemed odd to you?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #323
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmstu View Post
Ten four. I'll give that a try. Thank you Chris for the advice. But also curious if you thought that the positioning of the aal directly seated on the underside of that bracket via the picture seemed odd to you?
Yeah. Either the AAL is oriented in the wrong direction, or its the wrong AAL for that leaf pack. You need an AAL designed for the "TSB" leaf springs.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #324
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
I've just read through the 17 pages of this thread. The question I didn't see answered is:

Will factory length U-bolts work with tsb springs and a 1.5 inch AAL?

The reason I ask is I've heard some sites you can buy U-bolts from are cheap quality steel. If that's the case I'd rather order new ones from the dealership.
Could you recommend any sites to order quality bolts from?
Old 03-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I've just read through the 17 pages of this thread. The question I didn't see answered is:

Will factory length U-bolts work with tsb springs and a 1.5 inch AAL?

The reason I ask is I've heard some sites you can buy U-bolts from are cheap quality steel. If that's the case I'd rather order new ones from the dealership.
Could you recommend any sites to order quality bolts from?
They should, however, U bolts are a "Stretch to yield" bolt, and shoulndt be re used.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:32 AM   #326
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
They should, however, U bolts are a "Stretch to yield" bolt, and shoulndt be re used.
Ok thanks. I won't be reusing the old ones, I will buy new from the dealership. Unless I can source out good quality ones. Which ones are you guys using?

Chris just looking for your thoughts on this... Based on the design of the AAL having more of a curve it seems that it will eventually wear through the rubber pads and then start cutting into the stock leaf pack. Seems that it would need to be replaced after some time.

EDIT: Just doing some reading on ubolt grades and found this about re-using them. I didn't know the nuts had slightly different threads to reduce the chance of them backing off. Taken from www.truckcomponentsonline.com

Do Not Reuse U-bolts
  • Used U-bolts will have rusted and damaged threads from the previous installation
  • A previously torqued U-bolt will suffer from distored threads from the engagement of the deep nut. Deep nuts should be tighened once and retorqued, never loosened and retightened.
  • A used U-bolt may have suffered from fatigue as well excessive stress since achieving accurate torque with commonly used impact wrenches is very difficult.
Removed U-Bolts should NEVER be placed back onto the vehicle, they should be thrown away. Suspension U-Bolts are manufactured with a smooth rolled thread, while the mating Hi-Nuts are manufactured with sharp cut threads. When a U-Bolt is tightened to it's recommended torque level, the U-Bolt threads stretch as they mate with the Hi-Nuts. Although, not always visible to the naked eye, this damages the threads. Removing the Hi-Nuts from the U-Bolt will cause a cross-threading that will not allow the U-Bolt to be adequately re-torqued. A common practice in most maintenance facilities is to use a impact wrench to tighten U-Bolts. Consistent, accurate torque is next to impossible to obtain with a impact wrench, and in most cases an over-torqued fastener is the result. We recommend using a torque wrench when installing U-Bolts. New U-Bolts should be torqued after 2 weeks of usage.

As previously explained the primary function of the U-bolt is to maintain the clamping force on the spring assembly and related parts. Since clamping force is a function of the condition of the U-bolt, the damaged threads of the used U-bolt will make reaching this force very difficult. Considering that reusing U-bolts can lead to premature spring failure and other suspension damage it is clear that U-bolts should never be reused.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #327
327 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
327's Tacoma Gallery
Am I the only person that never got the TSB springs put in mine? I bought it in 2006 (it's an 06), and although I worked at a dealership at the time, and although my springs creaked when I had about 2k miles... I never got it done

By the time I realized that I could get a new set of springs, I had already moved on to another job, and I was out of warranty.

Is this going to make it harder to find AAL for my truck? Should I just get some replacement springs from general spring?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #328
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 327 View Post
Am I the only person that never got the TSB springs put in mine? I bought it in 2006 (it's an 06), and although I worked at a dealership at the time, and although my springs creaked when I had about 2k miles... I never got it done

By the time I realized that I could get a new set of springs, I had already moved on to another job, and I was out of warranty.

Is this going to make it harder to find AAL for my truck? Should I just get some replacement springs from general spring?
You don't need the TSB to run an AAL
Old 06-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #329
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Tsb with aal

I need some help here.
I am installing a 4 leaf tsb spring set, with a aal.
I would like to install a set of energy suspension poly bushings on the leaf ends before installation. Energy only makes gen 1 products until years end. The company will not answer my question. Does anyone know if gen 1 & gen 2 leafs spring ends are the same?
Thx.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #330
Rincontaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Rincontaco's Tacoma Gallery
quick question as i really need this truck monday for work

Im attempting the aal from wheelers. I have the new leaf in and all the leafs bolted up and when i went to raise the axle to get the pin in its off about 3/4 of an inch. I was thinking that since the other side has not been done that this could be the cause of my misalignment? I figured you guys have seen this movie so ... hoping you guys had the answer.
I did however manage to get the bilsteins in by myself in the front and was super stoked ...kinda thought the rear leaf would have been easier ...
Old 08-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincontaco View Post
quick question as i really need this truck monday for work

Im attempting the aal from wheelers. I have the new leaf in and all the leafs bolted up and when i went to raise the axle to get the pin in its off about 3/4 of an inch. I was thinking that since the other side has not been done that this could be the cause of my misalignment? I figured you guys have seen this movie so ... hoping you guys had the answer.
I did however manage to get the bilsteins in by myself in the front and was super stoked ...kinda thought the rear leaf would have been easier ...
Youre gonna have to jerk the axel into place. It can shift when lowered, and its not a big deal.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #332
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't do an AAL but I did install new leaf packs on my truck. So that being said, I would recommend raising both wheels off the ground, put jack stands under the frame, then let the axel drop to full droop. Keep the axle supported with a jack or more jack stands. Add the new Leaf into each side before tightening things up. Now everythng is in its place and just needs to be tightend up, so if the center pins are off by a little, the axle is just hanging there so you can shift it a little to get the center pins ligned up on boths sides.

I had some of the same issues your having when adding the new leaf packs so I did it as stated above. You'll get it
Old 08-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #333
Rincontaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Rincontaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Youre gonna have to jerk the axel into place. It can shift when lowered, and its not a big deal.
Thanks! I did that jerked it over and had a neighbor raise the axle! worked! Thanks a lot!

Thanks Mainemoe02 also!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #334
jaymac10 is on a distinguished road

jaymac10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
Yes stock ubolts are too short. Plus you never wanna reuse ubolts.
Thinking about ordering an 1.5' / 2.0' AAL to compliment the OEM Baja that was just installed on my 2013 TRD Sport. (Baja lifts front 2' but no lift in rear)

My truck currently has 3,600KM's (2,200miles) and came stock with the 4 leaf pack.

Quesiton, given that it's basically brand new, can I re-use the stock U bolts?

And, will they be long enough with a 1.5 or 2.0' AAL?

I really should have just put this in when I had the suspension installed on Friday but oh well...

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Jay
Old 08-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #335
jaymac10 is on a distinguished road

jaymac10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymac10 View Post
Thinking about ordering an 1.5' / 2.0' AAL to compliment the OEM Baja that was just installed on my 2013 TRD Sport. (Baja lifts front 2' but no lift in rear)

My truck currently has 3,600KM's (2,200miles) and came stock with the 4 leaf pack.

Quesiton, given that it's basically brand new, can I re-use the stock U bolts?

And, will they be long enough with a 1.5 or 2.0' AAL?

I really should have just put this in when I had the suspension installed on Friday but oh well...

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Jay
Old 08-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymac10 View Post
Its not recommended to re use the bolts, but at that age, you shouldn't have any issues.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #337
if you ain't first, you're last!
tim2010 is on a distinguished road

Name: TimO
tim2010's Tacoma Gallery
aal install

Thank you chris and everyone who comment on this post. I had the laptop right next to me with pandora playing and this thread to keep me sane. Not that it was that hard. Much easier than changing the coil overs and adding 2.5 blocks to the front. All said and done, I think it took me 5 hours. I worked slow making sure I took everyone's advice. The 3in aal looks awesome.

Thanks again all!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #338
if you ain't first, you're last!
tim2010 is on a distinguished road

Name: TimO
tim2010's Tacoma Gallery
so I also used another source too. It was from skyjackers. Does anyone know if they are a company that is uber christain?

Take a look at this PDF I found online. Page two to be specific...

http://skyjacker.com/Instructions/ADD-A-LEAFS/F46D.pdf
Old 11-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #339
Triple D is on a distinguished road
Triple D's Tacoma Gallery
Over the past few years I have been using this site to take advantage of the DIY info and save $ from the dealers. I've wanted a bit more aggressive look so naturally I chose to do the AAL for the rear.

Today I installed the 1.5" AAL from Wheelers on my 2007 Tacoma which has the Toyota TSB leaf package. The job was fairly straight forward but had a few hardships since I was working alone. I believe everything is good to go but had 2 questions...

1. With the tools I had I was unable to get the nut completely tight on the top of the centering pin. There is about an 1/8" space. As long as the centering pin is through all the leafs and the Ubolts are cranked down, could this be an issue?

2. I noticed that the nuts which screw onto the bottom of the Ubolts don't have thread all the way through them due to me using the original Ubolts and less thread left due to the AAL taking up some room. They're on there at the 73# torque and all appears fine...but should I go get new longer Ubolts so that they have more thread to lock on to?

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple D View Post
1. With the tools I had I was unable to get the nut completely tight on the top of the centering pin. There is about an 1/8" space. As long as the centering pin is through all the leafs and the Ubolts are cranked down, could this be an issue?
its always a good idea to get the top nut tight against the springs, so as to leave no gap. That being said, you should be OK with it how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple D View Post
2. I noticed that the nuts which screw onto the bottom of the Ubolts don't have thread all the way through them due to me using the original Ubolts and less thread left due to the AAL taking up some room. They're on there at the 73# torque and all appears fine...but should I go get new longer Ubolts so that they have more thread to lock on to?

Thanks!
As long as there is about 1/8" threads, or more, exposed after the nut, you will be fine.