Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

AAL Install. (second gen)

Old 12-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #342
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd for future lift
Old 01-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #343
J0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

J0HN_R1's Tacoma Gallery
Can you run 1.5" TSB AAL's with the stock rear shocks ?

Old 01-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #344
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Can you run 1.5" TSB AAL's with the stock rear shocks ?

Yes...
Old 01-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #345
J0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

J0HN_R1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Yes...
Without any negative repercussions ?

If so, great...! I like not having to spend another $200 right now, for the rears.

Another month or so & I'll buy them...

Old 01-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #346
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Without any negative repercussions ?

If so, great...! I like not having to spend another $200 right now, for the rears.

Another month or so & I'll buy them...

You might have a "popping" sound coming from then, as they aren't designed to dampen the spring rate with an AAL installed.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:43 AM   #347

J0HN_R1's Tacoma Gallery
Wow... Set-up & completing one side took me 2hrs.

Other side should only take 45min...

Old 02-20-2014, 11:22 PM   #348
Stalker
TacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TacoBrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wow... Set-up & completing one side took me 2hrs.

Other side should only take 45min...

Thats about how it went for me today. First side took around 2 hours, next side took about 45min, then 15 min remount wheels and cleanup.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #349
whisk3ythrottle is on a distinguished road

Name: Colin
whisk3ythrottle's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if this question has been asked yet, but do regular cab and double cab tacomas have the same size leafs, like will they fit a double cab and do the regular cab leaf springs withstand less weight? I'm thinking about buying a set of 4 leaf packs from a regular cab tacoma for my double cab because I have the three leaf packs and am past tsb warranty.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #350
Re-Member
Vanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant future

Name: Brooks
Vanguard's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Vanguard Send a message via Yahoo to Vanguard
he guys i just got a set of aal's from a friend and he only gave me the springs and a shim. do i need a longer center pin bolt? and if so what size and length? thanks!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
he guys i just got a set of aal's from a friend and he only gave me the springs and a shim. do i need a longer center pin bolt? and if so what size and length? thanks!
Yes. Most auto part stores have the correct size diameter. You cut them to length when installing.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #352
Ricks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MWSS 171, 374,
Name: Rick
Ricks2013's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up! I'm about to do this next weekend and this should help out a lot!
I have one question. Do the leafs pretty much fall right back into place on the perch after undoing everything? Reason I ask is last month I had to put in a 1" block in the rear. After raising the leaf pack up enough to put the block in it didnt want to line up on the block when i tried to lower back down. I'm thinking that could be because i didnt undo the shocks and it may have been pushing the axle. I finally got it to line up but had to push and pull. Thanks!

Edit: I just read this post and this should answer my question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
I didn't do an AAL but I did install new leaf packs on my truck. So that being said, I would recommend raising both wheels off the ground, put jack stands under the frame, then let the axel drop to full droop. Keep the axle supported with a jack or more jack stands. Add the new Leaf into each side before tightening things up. Now everythng is in its place and just needs to be tightend up, so if the center pins are off by a little, the axle is just hanging there so you can shift it a little to get the center pins ligned up on boths sides.

I had some of the same issues your having when adding the new leaf packs so I did it as stated above. You'll get it
Old 03-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #353
muskiehunter2 is on a distinguished road
muskiehunter2's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up chris,i install the 5100 bilsteins all around and 1.5 aal .only took about 3.0 hours including a camber/castor/toe alignment.
thanks chris
Old 03-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskiehunter2 View Post
nice write up chris,i install the 5100 bilsteins all around and 1.5 aal .only took about 3.0 hours including a camber/castor/toe alignment.
thanks chris
Old 03-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #355
BroncoDuke is on a distinguished road
Army: SGT
Name: DUKE
BroncoDuke's Tacoma Gallery
followed your instructions, everything looks good and rides good, did rear measurement from ground to bottom of fenderwell, driver rear-39 1/2 inches, passenger rear-39 inches. current leaf pack is non tsb(3 leafs-2 long, 1 overload), added the 2" Toytec AAL along with Toytec ULK. rear measured 36 inches on both sides pre-lift, any thoughts, I have a thread in the suspension and 2nd gen as well, might explain further, could it be it just hasn't fully settled?? thanks
Old 03-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoDuke View Post
followed your instructions, everything looks good and rides good, did rear measurement from ground to bottom of fenderwell, driver rear-39 1/2 inches, passenger rear-39 inches. current leaf pack is non tsb(3 leafs-2 long, 1 overload), added the 2" Toytec AAL along with Toytec ULK. rear measured 36 inches on both sides pre-lift, any thoughts, I have a thread in the suspension and 2nd gen as well, might explain further, could it be it just hasn't fully settled?? thanks
It will settle in a bit.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #357
paidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the rough

Army: Airborne
paidfor's Tacoma Gallery
put the 885x on Tuesday. raised the front end. Put the Deaver 2.0 AAL on today. Took me 5 hours..with water breaks, lunch, refereeing to this write up. Getting those bolts in on the springs was a bear. Once you got them in there you were home free. Only one incident. Smashed the crap out of my right thumb. Nail is black now.
drivers rear is at 23.5, pass. rear is 22. I suspect they will settle a little. Not sure if I was on level ground or not.
front is 22.5 and 23. I guess those will settle a little too.
Overall it looks awesome. No vibes either!!!
Thanks to all these write-ups and feedback!
Old 04-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #358
doughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
doughboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by goufcustom View Post
I did this today, so easy! Great write up, it really helped, and made it easy.

it is ok to leave the axle hanging like that with no jack to support it right?
Old 04-27-2014, 11:55 PM   #360
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincontaco View Post
quick question as i really need this truck monday for work

Im attempting the aal from wheelers. I have the new leaf in and all the leafs bolted up and when i went to raise the axle to get the pin in its off about 3/4 of an inch. I was thinking that since the other side has not been done that this could be the cause of my misalignment? I figured you guys have seen this movie so ... hoping you guys had the answer.
I did however manage to get the bilsteins in by myself in the front and was super stoked ...kinda thought the rear leaf would have been easier ...
Quote:
Youre gonna have to jerk the axel into place. It can shift when lowered, and its not a big deal.
I concurr with my Yubanian comarade .........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
I didn't do an AAL but I did install new leaf packs on my truck. So that being said, I would recommend raising both wheels off the ground, put jack stands under the frame, then let the axel drop to full droop. Keep the axle supported with a jack or more jack stands. Add the new Leaf into each side before tightening things up. Now everythng is in its place and just needs to be tightend up, so if the center pins are off by a little, the axle is just hanging there so you can shift it a little to get the center pins ligned up on boths sides.

I had some of the same issues your having when adding the new leaf packs so I did it as stated above. You'll get it
Quote:
Its not recommended to re use the bolts, but at that age, you shouldn't have any issues.
Quote:
Yes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
it is ok to leave the axle hanging like that with no jack to support it right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echodawg View Post
Jack is under the pumpkin.
Hahahaha... I am kinda wondering why you guys drop one side at a time ..

& the single most important tool you can have besides a jack, is to throw a strap around your diff, that way when the axle seperates from the springs it doesn't roll forward causing minor shitting in pants (if that can even be considered minor )