Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

AAL Install. (second gen)

Old 10-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #42
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumatrd View Post
Thanks Chris!
I just installed my add-a-leaf today. This DIY made the install a breeze.
Took my time, and finished the job in five hours.
Thanks again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTacoms View Post
Very nice write up Chris! I printed this and followed it step by step. The only difference is that my U-bolt (TSB) nuts are 19 mm.

When I was removing the nuts, there was no resistance at all. I doubt it was torqued at 100 Nm. I had about 1/2" thread left before the AAL and yet it's still about 1/2" after the AAL torqued at 100Nm It really surprised me since it was just serviced by the dealership a week ago!

By the way, how often should I check the torque? I was wheeling 2 weeks ago though. Do they really get loose after wheeling?

Also, what is the torque of the lug nuts? I just tightened them hard. Checked at 80 Nm.

Thanks.
Lug nuts should be about 80 to 90 ft-lbs. Not sure what that is in Nm's. U bolts should be 75 ft-lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph16drive View Post
So with an AAL, is there a little more hauling capacity when paired with the stock or TSB suspension? If so, anyone know what that might be?
No increase in capacity.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #44
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
I thought that sounded a little high too from when I attempted this last time, but the FSM says the UBolts should only be torqued to 37 ft lbs. Or 50N*m (whatever that means...)
The FSM is incorrect. Its a typo. 73 ft-lbs on OEM bolts.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph16drive View Post
that's amazing, chris even corrects the fsm. <insert not worthy smilie here>
lmao!!!
Old 10-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #49
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Hi Chris,

I noticed that you use a spacer in the brake line bracket. Is this necessary?

Old 10-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #50

Quote:
Hi Chris,

I noticed that you use a spacer in the brake line bracket. Is this necessary?
No. Its not nessesary at all. It was already on Packerfans truck, so I left it. Its not hurting anything being in there.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #51
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
No. Its not nessesary at all. It was already on Packerfans truck, so I left it. Its not hurting anything being in there.
Thank Chris. I saw this one being used in a Tuff Country AAL install. It looks like it is used to maintain the play of the brake lines, so I installed one anyway.

By the way, when do we need to use longer brake lines? When using longer shocks? Will it be necessary in 5100 rear?
Old 10-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #52

Quote:
Thank Chris. I saw this one being used in a Tuff Country AAL install. It looks like it is used to maintain the play of the brake lines, so I installed one anyway.

By the way, when do we need to use longer brake lines? When using longer shocks? Will it be necessary in 5100 rear?
You really only need longer brake lines if your lifting more than 3"
Old 10-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #53
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
im doing this right now but with the 3 AAL pack, just a heads up, the centering pin on mine is rusted solid so i had to go buy a angle grinder to cut it off.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #54
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I just installed my wheelers 3 AAL pack, I took out my overload leaf and the toytec AAL I had on there. Im not sure what It measured at before but Im at 49 1/2" from ground to bottom of fender now. It rides the same on road so far, Im gonna try and do some flexing to see if the are any better than my other setup
Old 10-06-2009, 07:15 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
I just installed my wheelers 3 AAL pack, I took out my overload leaf and the toytec AAL I had on there. Im not sure what It measured at before but Im at 49 1/2" from ground to bottom of fender now. It rides the same on road so far, Im gonna try and do some flexing to see if the are any better than my other setup
49 1/2" !! Thats an 8" lift!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #56

Quote:
lol I meant 39 1/2"
Old 10-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #57
aww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to behold
aww1970's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
lol I meant 39 1/2"
So then you lowered the truck 2" ?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #58

Quote:
lol I meant 39 1/2"
Ah...LOL...Sounds more like it....Thats what mines sitting at.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #59
Dane-Taco is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
Name: Justus
Dane-Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Great info Chris, I have a couple of questions. I assume the AALs were 2". Did it give you a 2" lift? I am hear mixed stories. "Redfox" brought it up, can you use the stock U bolts? i also noticed my truck has 2 leafs (not including the overload) yours has 3? Prerunners have different suspension?
Thank you

...What is a "Sticky"?

Dane
Old 10-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane-Taco View Post
Great info Chris, I have a couple of questions. I assume the AALs were 2". Did it give you a 2" lift? I am hear mixed stories. "Redfox" brought it up, can you use the stock U bolts? i also noticed my truck has 2 leafs (not including the overload) yours has 3? Prerunners have different suspension?
Thank you

...What is a "Sticky"?

Dane
The truck that was used in the write up is PackerfanXDs' truck. He has the TSB leaf springs, and IIRC, his AAL's were 1.5" lift. I belive they gave him about 1.75" lift. New "U" bolts are required.
A "Sticky", is when the thread is "Stuck" so it stays at the top of the threads in the section in which it is posted.