Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

3" Front Lift Spacer Differences....

Old 01-27-2008, 01:03 AM   #1
mikenredding is on a distinguished road
mikenredding's Tacoma Gallery
3" Front Lift Spacer Differences....

Hi, Does anyone know or can tell me What the difference is between the different 3" front shock spacers out there are? For example, some require a spring compressor and some, just bolt on top of the spring and don't compress the spring any further.. I was just curiousas to which was the better way to go? Thanks
Old 01-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
mikenredding is on a distinguished road
mikenredding's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone?
Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenredding View Post
Hi, Does anyone know or can tell me What the difference is between the different 3" front shock spacers out there are? For example, some require a spring compressor and some, just bolt on top of the spring and don't compress the spring any further.. I was just curiousas to which was the better way to go? Thanks
You're best bet is to get spacers that go within the coil assembly (requires spring compressor).
As seen in this picture:

Hard to explain - but when you put the spacer INSIDE with the coils (as seen above), the upper A-arm remains in its original location. This is better for your upper balljoints and clearance (see below).

When you put the spacer ontop the assembly, you lower the entire suspension components & upper a-arm (which is obvious). However - I've known (from years past) that the coil spring can come in contact with the steering knuckle as well as put your upper balljoints under a great amount of stress.

Here's some good sites to read:
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=137
and
http://www.ttora.com/wiki/index.php/...t_Tacoma_Lifts
Old 01-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard the bolt on top variety can cause problems, but I have nothing to back that up. I have the ones that are in the strut assembly and have no complaints. I have a Toytec, http://www.toyteclifts.com/, they are popular here. There are also Poly spacers vs. metal ones. I've heard the poly spacers can compress over time.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
L_Jackson is on a distinguished road

Army: Avenger Crew Member - 1st Cav 98-01
L_Jackson's Tacoma Gallery
i have the toytec and i'm happy with it... i don't go offroad so i don't know anything about bottoming out, i just lifted it cuz i like the look..... very happy with it!