Notices

Do I need new shocks???

Old 10-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
warren_454 is on a distinguished road

Army: MP
Name: Adam
warren_454's Tacoma Gallery
Do I need new shocks???

I have a 2002 TRD with 118,000 mi. and I was wondering what are some ways you can tell if your shocks are worn out. They do not make noise and they seem to ride pretty good, but if I put new ones one and tell a big difference it would be worth it. What kind should I get stock or what, I do very little off roading I mainly stick to the street.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The 5100 Bilstiens are a HUGE upgrade from OEM and ride nice.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
JTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to behold

JTech's Tacoma Gallery
Try standing in the bed and rocking back and forth. if the bed doesn't stop rocking after 2-3 rocks you might want new shocks. That is just the way I was taught to check.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech View Post
Try standing in the bed and rocking back and forth. if the bed doesn't stop rocking after 2-3 rocks you might want new shocks. That is just the way I was taught to check.
I was told similar. except to jump up and down.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Toss a bucket of chicken in the back....cruise the "big" girl park and when the feeding frenzy begins....you'll know.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTacOma View Post
Toss a bucket of chicken in the back....cruise the "big" girl park and when the feeding frenzy begins....you'll know.
Ah....Then you risk tailgate damage.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
JTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to behold

JTech's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah and the TSB doesn't cover 1st gens!
Old 10-03-2009, 03:28 AM   #8
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Ah....Then you risk tailgate damage.

Thanks Lou....
Old 10-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
Yota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant future
Name: Jesse
Yota_dvl's Tacoma Gallery
dude I'm in same baot, but i know i need new shocks bt dont know what to go ...?
anyone got idea?
Old 10-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
If you need new shocks. The 5100's are a great shock! they ride soo nice!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #11
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
I would say you got your moneys worth out of the stockers!!
My son's 03 has 80K on it and it is getting them on Wed.
It was very soft and wallowy ( is that a word?).