LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear Icon shocks - question

Old 10-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Icon shocks - question

I'm about to finally install my rear Icon resi shocks on my truck. Of course they came with no instructions, but I doubt the install will be that hard. One thing I was wondering, are the shocks side specific? Or can I put them on any side of the truck? From what I can tell, they are not labeled or anything.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
High-Order will become famous soon enough

Navy:
High-Order's Tacoma Gallery
They're not side specific. Don't hesitate to call their customer service line, i had to three times.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Ok thanx man, gonna put them in today...
Old 10-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
You will do fine. Post up pics when you are done!
Old 10-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #5

Navy:
Here, this pic will give you an idea of what it's supposed to look like.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
Work In Progress
nolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Weapons Director
nolanspawn's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to nolanspawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Order View Post
Here, this pic will give you an idea of what it's supposed to look like.

Dude you are a savior. I have been searching for a while for that exact view of the rear installed.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
Taco love in East Van

Did you have to drill any holes on the passenger side to bolt up the reseviour holder braket?
Old 10-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #8

Navy:
Yeah, you have to drill a hole on both sides. It's pretty easy. Just make sure you mount the bracket that holds the resevoir the right way. I saw one pic and someone installed them upside down, basically relying 100% on the hose clamp?
Old 10-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
i will be installing these next week. how big of a hole did you have to drill? size?
Old 10-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
Kenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant future

Kenny650's Tacoma Gallery
Is there much a of a difference between the Icon and the 5100's?
Old 10-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #11

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
i will be installing these next week. how big of a hole did you have to drill? size?
I don't remember off the top of my head, it says in the instructions though. If you don't have them you can download them from icon's website.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Order View Post
Yeah, you have to drill a hole on both sides. It's pretty easy. Just make sure you mount the bracket that holds the resevoir the right way. I saw one pic and someone installed them upside down, basically relying 100% on the hose clamp?
Most pics of those shocks I have seen the people mounted the brackets upside down. Glad to see you did yours the right way.

Do those ICONS come with any decals or are they bare? Half pics I've seen have no markings and others do have logos.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #13
Taco love in East Van

The drill bit you need is 11/32". They come with stickers, but they are pretty small and nothing really fancy or anything. I'm just installing them now, but came in for a break. I'm having a hard time getting the lower shock mount into the perch. The shock is quite a bit further then the axle and the axle is down as far as she will go. I'm going to try to use a little jack to compress the shock up and hopefully I can get it in.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #14
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianboy View Post
The drill bit you need is 11/32". They come with stickers, but they are pretty small and nothing really fancy or anything. I'm just installing them now, but came in for a break. I'm having a hard time getting the lower shock mount into the perch. The shock is quite a bit further then the axle and the axle is down as far as she will go. I'm going to try to use a little jack to compress the shock up and hopefully I can get it in.

Did you jack up the truck and leave the tires and wheels on? If you leave the tires and wheels on, maybe that extra weight will make the rear droop further so you can get the shock in?
Old 10-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #15
My R6 Eats Me
AlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
AlexForbesR6's Tacoma Gallery
very nice..post up pics when done!! and tell us how much of a difference the ride quality is...
Old 10-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #16
Taco love in East Van

Finally got it all done. I had to put some pieces of wood under my jack stands so the truck sat higher. Once I did that I could lower the axle that extra little bit I needed and attach the lower shock bolt. Leaving the tires on could have also worked, didn't think of that! One thing I would caution to anybody installing the rear Icon resi's - when attaching the bracket that holds the resi to the frame, do not over tighten the screw. I did and the self tapping screw would not hold the bracket on tight. I had to drill a second hole to get it to work. It was getting dark, but here is a quick pic of the drivers side installed.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #17
Taco love in East Van

And my baby! (with the stock rear shocks)

Old 10-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #18
azTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

azTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And my baby!

Any chance you can post some larger pictures... I think my eyes are starting to bleed a bit trying to see your rig. From what I can tell, it looks great.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #19
Taco love in East Van

Man I'm having some issues with photobucket lol

Edit: Figured it out, pics resized.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #20
azTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

azTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Man I'm having some issues with photobucket lol

Edit: Figured it out, pics resized.
They are still small and my eyes still bleeding. You should use the TW photo gallery... seems to work well and I have never had a problem with it... just a thought.

I know you've been working hard on your truck and I was hoping to see the finished product... from what I can tell it looks like you've done an awesome job. The Mag Grey is by far my favorite color on our trucks... I may have to start thinking about another purchase.