Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear Suspension

Old 10-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
Silver06Taco is on a distinguished road
Silver06Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Suspension

I bought a used 2006 DC TRD Sport a little over a month ago. As far as I can tell the rear TSB has not been done. Any time I go over a speed bump or rough road it sounds like something in the bed has gone airborn and drops back in the bed. Or possibly it's bottoming out on something, I'm not sure.

What is that noise??? It's driving me crazy. I didn't notice it on the test drive. Is that the TSB noise I keep reading about? I have pulled a trailer with 1.5 yards of gravel in it. It pulled fine and didn't sag the rear end with the loaded trailer. Could it be the shocks, which are stock? I can make the noise manually by lifting up on the bed and letting it go. Can the shocks be adjusted at all? The truck has 65k miles on it, so I wouldn't think the shocks have gone bad already. But who knows, I'm not all that mechanically inclined when it comes to vehicles.

Any help would be awesome!
Old 10-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
I've checked that, it's tight
Old 10-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
JoeSchmuck will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmuck will become famous soon enough

Navy: Submarine Launched Ballistic Missiles
Name: Joe
JoeSchmuck's Tacoma Gallery
Is the spare tire all the way up nice and snug or is it bouncing around?

Also look for a loose muffler/exhaust system (some of the mounting is gone).

I can't imagine much else unless you are hitting speed bumps hard and a rough road to you might be off road to me.

I hope that helps and I'd like to know what you find out.

-Joe
Old 10-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
I've checked the spare and it's good.

The muffler/exhaust is a good idea. I'll have to check this weekend, when I have time.

I can roll over speed bumps and hear it at times.

I was thinking maybe the bed is dropping down on the bump stops, but not sure. My brother in law was thinking maybe the rubber grommets on either end of the shock have gone bad. He was thinking this as it mainly seems like it's coming from the drivers side. But I haven't had time to get it into a shop.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the shock is topping out. You need longer shocks.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
That could be an option. Is there a way to tell before I go buy new shocks?
Old 10-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver06Taco View Post
That could be an option. Is there a way to tell before I go buy new shocks?
Does it sound like a "THUMP" ??
Old 10-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
I was thinking...if I am hitting the bump stops in the rear, how do I fix that? Is that with new shocks, leaf springs, etc.?
Old 10-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #10
Quote:
Does it sound like a "THUMP" ??
Yep, exactly. It sounds like I have something laying in the bed and when I go over something, it goes airborn and then lands in the bed...something heavy
Old 10-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Yep, exactly
Thats how you tell. What shocks do you have now? Stock?
Old 10-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
Quote:
Thats how you tell. What shocks do you have now? Stock?
Yep, their stock...TRD Sport
Old 10-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Yep, their stock...TRD Sport
Get the 5100's, and you can thank me after they are installed.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
Quote:
I've read a lot about those and they were the ones I'd probably get. But I wanted to make sure that was the problem, first.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #15

Quote:
I've read a lot about those and they were the ones I'd probably get. But I wanted to make sure that was the problem, first.
Thats the problem. I was able to re create the problem on my truck with OEM shocks. As soon as I threw the 5100's back on, it went away.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #16
JoeSchmuck will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmuck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just so I'm clear... When the shocks top out, they are fully extended and the suddend travel stop makes the noise. I can see that if the truck was lifted or the shocks have failed, or if the rear of the truck was lightened up.

I guess you could test for it by putting a few hundered pounds of something in the rear of the bed and drive it. I like going to Lowes so that's easy for me. That would act as a dampener and might keep the shock from toping out, but if it's a bottoming out problem, you would see it more. If it's a loose bed you should be able to move it by hand up and down in one of the four corners. The beds are not that heavy to prevent you from finding a problem of that magnatude.

I doubt it's the leaf springs and I agree which chris, the shocks are probably your problem. If they top out or allow the bed to hit the bump stops, it's likely the shocks.

I'd still like to know what solves your issue.

Joe
Old 10-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #17
Problem solved. I had new shocks put on today. I ended up going with the Monroe Reflex. The reason I went with those are the guy I've gone to for years gave them to me dirt cheap ($35 a piece) and said they were a good smooth riding shock. I have to agree!
Old 10-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Problem solved. I had new shocks put on today. I ended up going with the Monroe Reflex. The reason I went with those are the guy I've gone to for years gave them to me dirt cheap ($35 a piece) and said they were a good smooth riding shock. I have to agree!

Great to hear you got the truck working good. Looks like Chris nailed it.

Hope you enjoy your ride.

Joe
Old 09-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #19
FLyhighdp is on a distinguished road

FLyhighdp's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation same problem!

Quote:
is the 5100 the factory shock that came with the truck? I'm rockin a '05 4dr. sport 4wd.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #20
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLyhighdp View Post
is the 5100 the factory shock that came with the truck? I'm rockin a '05 4dr. sport 4wd.
Nope.