1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about rear shocks and torque specs

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by rzimm001, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Oct 6, 2009 at 10:56 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    My buddy and I went wheeling today in our 2nd generation tacos and when we got back to starting point to air up we were talking about rear shock possibilities using the OEM mounts. It seems with my J66 Deaver pack that a couple more inches of droop can be achieved with a longer shock. Essentially I'm saying that the shock is the first thing to limit out at full droop. Anybody care to shed some light on the possibility of using a longer shock without installing a shock hoop? Is it possible? Pros and Cons?

Secondly I'd like to start checking the torque on the camber bolts connecting the LCA to the chassis. They seem to move a tad when I do some hard wheeling causing me to go out of alignment. I'm not sure if the alignment shop tightened them up to spec. I'd like to put a torque wrench on them and see. Anybody know what the torque spec on those bolts would be?

Thank You for any replies!

2. Oct 6, 2009 at 11:50 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    When you lift the rear of the truck you should buy better offroad shocks. Shocks like bilstein 5100's, 5125's, OME, Fox, all of those provide better travel.

3. Oct 7, 2009 at 12:04 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Front suspension lower arm x Suspension cross member 100 ft/lbs

4. Oct 7, 2009 at 7:12 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I'm assuming you're referring to the rear shocks....

Your thoughts are valid - however - You also have to be concerned about 'compression'. The longer the shock you install, the less 'compression' you have in the shock. Essentially - during compression, you want the suspension to hit the bumpstops FIRST. You don't want the shock to bottom out before the bumpstops are reached. Also - you want enough room (at rest) for the shock to perform its main function - shock absorption.

A lot of people will install a bar across the frame with custom shock mounts on the axle and install the shocks in a
    / \ fashion that allows for more droop. However - the more of an angle the shocks are in, they lose their ability to affectively function properly (shock absorption). Having a lot of droop - you also have to make sure everything else (driveshaft) is setup properly.
    [​IMG]

5. Oct 7, 2009 at 8:55 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Thank You Sir!

6. Oct 7, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:

Okay so what your saying is that without making some changes to the rear of the truck such as, adjusting the angle of the driveshaft and allowing for increased compression, its not a good idea to install a longer shock into the oem mounts. I already have a 5100 in place but I was curious if something longer could be used. Seems not without some changes. Thank You for the input!

7. Oct 7, 2009 at 12:11 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It depends....

It's a matter of measurements.

Look at your 5100's now while the truck is sitting flat on the pavement.

Measure the amount of 'exposed shaft' on the 5100 shock (either side).

Then - measure the distance between the bumpstop & the contact point.

The bumpstop should have the least amount and come in contact before the shock bottoms out.

8. Nov 2, 2009 at 6:51 AM
    alextdunn

alextdunn Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    san Diego
    Vehicle:
    05, 4cly, base, Xtra cab, 5 lug lift
    ready lift 5 Lug lift, bed lights, 400 watt inverter, scan gauge II, AFE pro Dry s, second air filter removed
    That is a good idea if the shock is at an angle then the distance will need to be longer than that of the bump stop some basic geomitry like sine of the angle :D

9. Apr 20, 2010 at 12:17 PM
    shaniac

shaniac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Double-Cab Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    What is the proper way to measure lift when purchasing shocks?

Products Discussed in

To Top