1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help With Vibes..

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Voos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Oct 7, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    Voos

Voos [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Dbl Cab SB TRD Off Road
    Icon CO's, Total Chaos UCA's All-Pro 3" leaf packs w/ U bolt flip +Timbren, Rear Bilstein 5100's, Dick Cepek DC1's Black, 285/70R17 BFG ATko, ProDryS drop in, Dynomax Super Turbo
    Last weekend I removed my Deavers and put on some All-Pro 3" packs.. I also Cranked up the C/O's a bit.. I'm much happier with the look and feel of the lift but my vibrations are worse than ever..

I get the typical 5mph shutter, but now I am also getting a pretty good vibe all the way up to 30mph and a real "growl" on deceleration, enough to rattle the dash a bit. I notice I also get a bit of a growl when turning at full lock..

I have the CB drop and 3 degree shims, no diff "drop". Could my Coilovers be set too high(sitting 37.5" with stock tires)causing vibes from the CV's or is it the additional height in the rear??

2. Oct 7, 2009 at 4:47 PM
    Voos

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Dbl Cab SB TRD Off Road
    Icon CO's, Total Chaos UCA's All-Pro 3" leaf packs w/ U bolt flip +Timbren, Rear Bilstein 5100's, Dick Cepek DC1's Black, 285/70R17 BFG ATko, ProDryS drop in, Dynomax Super Turbo
    Help!

3. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:56 PM
    Voos

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Dbl Cab SB TRD Off Road
    C'mon guys! you are the experts! Opinions welcome

4. Oct 8, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    I'm not expert in this area, but I would bet its from the 3" lift in the rear. These trucks seem to be very picky and fussy when you lift the rear too much. I only lifted mine 1.5" and I have a little bit of a vibration. You may have to look into a new driveshaft or play around with different size shims? A custom made driveshaft it probably the best bet.

5. Oct 9, 2009 at 9:57 PM
    azTRD

azTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    What size wheels/tires are you running?

I have my CO set with about 2" (drivers side) and 1.75" (pass side) of thread showing, which puts my truck around 39.25" in the front. My rears have the dakar springs which put the rear height ~40.75". I am running 285/70/17 (33") tires.

I have been looking at fixing my drive line vibrations for about a month now. When I first put my lift on, I had no shims and no CB drop. My vibrations were @ 20mph accelerating and decelerating. I then put on the carrier bearing drop kit from toytec, which reduced the amount of vibrations but they were still there. I then put in 3 deg shims, which moved my vibrations from ~20 mph down to ~5mph and I only get them when accelerating.

I then decided to leave the shims in and remove the CB drop spacers. To my surprise it really reduced the take off shutter down to a very very slight vibration. It's still too much for me to deal with, so I have decided to go with a one-piece drive shaft.

I found a local shop that does drive lines for lifted trucks on a daily basis and they sound like they are willing to work with me to cure my vibration issues.

It sounds like you have the same 5mph vibration type as me. I would remove the CB drop and see if it changes. As far as the 'growl', it sounds like you have something else going on in the front end especially since it happens when you turn. I would recommend finding a local drive line shop (if you can find one) and talk to them about possible solutions. Every truck seems to be slightly different and without seeing it in person it hard to troubleshoot.

6. Oct 9, 2009 at 10:13 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    It sounds like drive line vibes too me...

Well I had vibes as well, and did a CB drop and that didnt help. And I finally decided to get a Tom Woods drive shaft/one piece and be done with this problem forever. And now Im vibe free!

Sometimes doing the shims and maybe the CB drop help, and eliminate the vibes slightly, But in some cases the only true fix is a one piece shaft. Its lighter and stronger then the OEM Two piece.
    But Bdl Cab LB's cant do one piece shaft....

7. Oct 10, 2009 at 6:14 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Has the truck been aligned after you cranked the CO's?

8. Oct 10, 2009 at 8:05 AM
    Voos

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Dbl Cab SB TRD Off Road
    Yeah, it's been aligned.. But it's ugly. My UCA's will be here tuesday.. then off for another alignment.

I may drop the front just to see if it makes a difference

9. Oct 10, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    just wait til the UCA then alignment, Get the spec of before and after for alignment

Products Discussed in

To Top