Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Need Help With Vibes..

Old 10-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Voos will become famous soon enough

Name: Eric
Voos's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Need Help With Vibes..

Last weekend I removed my Deavers and put on some All-Pro 3" packs.. I also Cranked up the C/O's a bit.. I'm much happier with the look and feel of the lift but my vibrations are worse than ever..

I get the typical 5mph shutter, but now I am also getting a pretty good vibe all the way up to 30mph and a real "growl" on deceleration, enough to rattle the dash a bit. I notice I also get a bit of a growl when turning at full lock..

I have the CB drop and 3 degree shims, no diff "drop". Could my Coilovers be set too high(sitting 37.5" with stock tires)causing vibes from the CV's or is it the additional height in the rear??
Old 10-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #2

Voos's Tacoma Gallery
Help!
Old 10-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #3

Voos's Tacoma Gallery
C'mon guys! you are the experts! Opinions welcome
Old 10-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not expert in this area, but I would bet its from the 3" lift in the rear. These trucks seem to be very picky and fussy when you lift the rear too much. I only lifted mine 1.5" and I have a little bit of a vibration. You may have to look into a new driveshaft or play around with different size shims? A custom made driveshaft it probably the best bet.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
azTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

azTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voos View Post
Last weekend I removed my Deavers and put on some All-Pro 3" packs.. I also Cranked up the C/O's a bit.. I'm much happier with the look and feel of the lift but my vibrations are worse than ever..

I get the typical 5mph shutter, but now I am also getting a pretty good vibe all the way up to 30mph and a real "growl" on deceleration, enough to rattle the dash a bit. I notice I also get a bit of a growl when turning at full lock..

I have the CB drop and 3 degree shims, no diff "drop". Could my Coilovers be set too high(sitting 37.5" with stock tires)causing vibes from the CV's or is it the additional height in the rear??
What size wheels/tires are you running?

I have my CO set with about 2" (drivers side) and 1.75" (pass side) of thread showing, which puts my truck around 39.25" in the front. My rears have the dakar springs which put the rear height ~40.75". I am running 285/70/17 (33") tires.

I have been looking at fixing my drive line vibrations for about a month now. When I first put my lift on, I had no shims and no CB drop. My vibrations were @ 20mph accelerating and decelerating. I then put on the carrier bearing drop kit from toytec, which reduced the amount of vibrations but they were still there. I then put in 3 deg shims, which moved my vibrations from ~20 mph down to ~5mph and I only get them when accelerating.

I then decided to leave the shims in and remove the CB drop spacers. To my surprise it really reduced the take off shutter down to a very very slight vibration. It's still too much for me to deal with, so I have decided to go with a one-piece drive shaft.

I found a local shop that does drive lines for lifted trucks on a daily basis and they sound like they are willing to work with me to cure my vibration issues.

It sounds like you have the same 5mph vibration type as me. I would remove the CB drop and see if it changes. As far as the 'growl', it sounds like you have something else going on in the front end especially since it happens when you turn. I would recommend finding a local drive line shop (if you can find one) and talk to them about possible solutions. Every truck seems to be slightly different and without seeing it in person it hard to troubleshoot.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds like drive line vibes too me...

Well I had vibes as well, and did a CB drop and that didnt help. And I finally decided to get a Tom Woods drive shaft/one piece and be done with this problem forever. And now Im vibe free!

Sometimes doing the shims and maybe the CB drop help, and eliminate the vibes slightly, But in some cases the only true fix is a one piece shaft. Its lighter and stronger then the OEM Two piece.
But Bdl Cab LB's cant do one piece shaft....
Old 10-10-2009, 06:14 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Has the truck been aligned after you cranked the CO's?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:05 AM   #8

Voos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Has the truck been aligned after you cranked the CO's?
Yeah, it's been aligned.. But it's ugly. My UCA's will be here tuesday.. then off for another alignment.

I may drop the front just to see if it makes a difference
Old 10-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
just wait til the UCA then alignment, Get the spec of before and after for alignment