Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

TRD coilover Vs. sr5 coilover

Old 10-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
MikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
TRD coilover Vs. sr5 coilover

I have a 4x4 sr5 regular cab and my friend is about to give me his stock TRD Coilovers. Are they better than the coilover that is in my truck now. Should I take them off of his hands and install them in my truck. Any suggestions?
Old 10-13-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Just a guess here....but...

If you get his TRD coilovers - you'll be getting the OEM bilstein coilover struts.

What cab truck does he have?

Does he have an Access cab or double cab and are you getting the coils also? If yes - (and since you have a regular cab) you'll probably get a small lift with his coilovers.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i think they will be the same size...however the coils themselves will be "progressive" which i THINK means they ride a little nicer
Old 10-14-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
i think they will be the same size...however the coils themselves will be "progressive" which i THINK means they ride a little nicer
Depends on TRD OR or TRD Sport coils. The ORs are progressive, which means they are twisted to provide increasing spring rate under increased load. The Sport coils are not. Progressive tends to ride a bit stiffer if anything.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
MikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good. So I guess im going to be intalling these soon. And his tacoma was a double cab.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:27 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD View Post
Sounds good. So I guess im going to be intalling these soon. And his tacoma was a double cab.
If you install the entire coilover assembly (coils & struts)... you're probably gonna get a 1" lift on the front of your regular cab.

Take measurements before and after. I'm curious to see what you get.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathollo View Post
Yes, the TRD shocks are better than the SR5 ones. When you get the rear TSB AAL done, they replace all the shocks on the truck with TRD billie's to help with the bottoming out issue.
SR5 has nothing to do with the suspension.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #9
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
SR5 has nothing to do with the suspension.
I agree, although from the factory an SR5 non-TRD in North America does not come with bilstien shocks. Nor would it have the TRD off road coils. I realized he didn't specify SR5 non-TRD, but I think it was pretty clear what he meant.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #10

MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Yes i did mean Non- TRD. But this is the question? I have a 3" strut spacer that I was originally going to use for my non- TRD strut. If I use it on his TRD Coilover assembly is it going to lift my truck to much like 4 inches and but too much of a angle on my cv joints?