Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein 5100's

Old 10-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
BobSaget916 is on a distinguished road
Name: Seth
BobSaget916's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100's

Hey, I know there are probably 50 threads dealing with this but I just wanted a few opinions. My truck is stock hight right now...i'm running 265/75/16 BFG Rugged Trails and they fit just fine, no rubbing or anything. I need new tires pretty soon and i want to upgrade to 33's. I know I need to lift it but i'm still questioning which route to go. I want to put the Bilstein 5100's all the way around using the stock springs in the front. I also want to do the 1.5" block in the rear in addition the the Bilsteins. If i crank the front coilovers all the way to 2.5 will that give me a somewhat level ride hight? Will that clear the 33's in the front? If not, what should i do? AAL in the rear? Comments are much appreciated!! THANKS!!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
you will still have front rake with 2.5 billys and adding 1.5" back. lots of trimming with the 33's and that setup in front. definetly go the aal route
Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
no no lol ditch the block and do the aal for sure. otherwise your gonna do 3" lift in the back and 2.5" front which will give you a pretty huge rake going forward lol
Old 10-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
set the 5100s at zero and replace the coils with totec coils (eibach)
Old 10-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
you won't have as bad of a factory rake as you would now with the billie's at 2.5 and a 1.5 aal ( i would recommend the aal over the block any day). you will have some trimming to do with 33's but nothing horrendous or anything like that.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Can 5100's work with the factory set up or do you have to realign the front end?
Old 10-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
vegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to all
Name: Jorge Edward
vegas1's Tacoma Gallery
im kinda new to this whole forum thing and not to familiar with most abbreviations.....what does aal mean and what is rake? i have a 04 tacoma and thinking of doing the same minus the 33's.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
aal = add a leaf, make the rear end higher & stiffer

rake = the difference between height of the front of your truck comparred to the rear. Tacoma's, as with most trucks, are higher in the rear

Also, welcome to tacoma world
Old 10-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
vegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to all
Name: Jorge Edward
vegas1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward adding some new mods to my truck. Hope this forum can get me on my way!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #13
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I am also looking to get lifted, what im wondering, is if I do the aal, does that take out my overload spring? and how will it work if i put a quad back there with an aal and no overload?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #14
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed that my truck sits lower than TRD Sports and TRD Off Road (all 3 stocked). Will my truck be the same height as the TRD Sport and Off Road if we ALL have Bilstein 5100's and AAL?

Also, I have not seen a lifted Tacoma in person yet. Which truck's stock height is the same height as a Tacoma lifted with Bilsteins at 2.5?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #15
aww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to behold
aww1970's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
I am also looking to get lifted, what im wondering, is if I do the aal, does that take out my overload spring? and how will it work if i put a quad back there with an aal and no overload?
Your overload spring stays, the AAL goes at the bottom of the leaf pack and above the overload.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #16
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzogSS View Post
Can 5100's work with the factory set up or do you have to realign the front end?
They work with the factory setup AND you have to get your front realigned. Anytime the front is disassembled (coilovers, UCAs or shocks) you should get it realigned.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #17
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Ok. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #18
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aww1970 View Post
Your overload spring stays, the AAL goes at the bottom of the leaf pack and above the overload.
thanks