Notices

Broken Leaf Spring Replacement

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
coloradotaquita is on a distinguished road
coloradotaquita's Tacoma Gallery
Broken Leaf Spring Replacement

Hi everyone,

I'm new to posting on the forums, but have been reading along for a few weeks now. My husband and I are looking at getting a first generation 4x4 Tacoma and have been having fun looking and test driving various trucks.

One of the trucks that recently caught my fancy has a broken leaf spring, so I've been investigating options for replacing that. I've been looking at different leaf springs and am debating between Wheeler's (http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacoleafs.htm) and Skyjacker softrides (http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...0A2071504.aspx). From what I've been reading, Wheeler's don't hold up too well over time, so I've been leaning more towards the Skyjackers. Which brings me to my questions:

The Skyjackers have 2.5" of lift, can we have those installed without making other modifications, or will we have to replace other parts?

Also, if we add leaf springs with 2.5" of lift on the back and don't make any modifications to the front, is the truck going to look hilarious? Will it be less safe with lift in the back and not in the front?

Since this is our first truck, I'm thinking we'll probably have a shop install them, do you guys have any thoughts on how much it might cost to have them installed?

We haven't gone to look at the truck yet, I'm just trying to get an idea of what we're looking at. For a little bit more info, the truck is a '98, manual, SR5, TRD with 151k on it. It looks like it is pretty much stock besides a little detailing, new tail lights and a new grill (I attached pictures if anyone is interested).

Thanks so much for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Broken Leaf Spring Replacement-img_0208.jpg   Broken Leaf Spring Replacement-img_0209.jpg  
Old 10-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Go with wheelers. They have been proven by many satisfied members. Wheelers should have a kit available that will address your concern with the front looking funny.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
coloradotaquita is on a distinguished road
coloradotaquita's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, good to know!

Products Discussed in this Thread