Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Need help with OME install

Old 10-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
NicksRig's Tacoma Gallery
Need help with OME install

I am in the process of installing my new lift. I am having trouble removing the rear shock at the moment. The nut is just spinning with the shock. Any tips to get it off?
Old 10-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
jmb1985 is on a distinguished road
jmb1985's Tacoma Gallery
the top of the shock has side on it so you can put a small wrench on it... you might end up running out of room to put the wrench on. if thats the case put a pair of vise grips at the top of the shock to hold it still
Old 10-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
If you are trashing the shocks after the install, then you can grab the shaft (that's what she said) with a pair of pliers or vice grips to keep it from spinning. If you are keeping them, there should be a flat section above the nut at the end of the shaft you can use a wrench on.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
I used a pair of vise grips on the top and a wrench to spin the nut off. Worked very good and a it didn't wreck the shock or anything.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
On the new shocks use an Allen wrench (5mm) or a open wronch. Depending on the shaft design.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
Ok thanks guys. Got one side off, but the other side has been slightly rounded so I am putting some deep creep on it and then try again.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #9

Firefighter:
Got them off! Installed the AAL and rear shock. Question: How bad is it if things are torqued more than the 75lbs? My torque wrench sucks and the 75lbs doesn't feel like its tight enough.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksRig View Post
Got them off! Installed the AAL and rear shock. Question: How bad is it if things are torqued more than the 75lbs? My torque wrench sucks and the 75lbs doesn't feel like its tight enough.
Just dont break the bolts.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #11

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Just dont break the bolts.
OK.

And when I tightened the u-bolts back up I wasn't able to get the bolt up far enough to have the threads come out the other side. Is this going to be an issue?
Old 10-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
How much thread were you able to get in the nut?
Old 10-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #13

Firefighter:
More than 3/4 of the way through.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #14

Firefighter:
Only a few threads shy of being flush. Or should I take out the washer to make more room?
Old 10-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #15

Firefighter:
Here is a pic of the bolts.

Now I have my front end partially taken apart and I am having trouble disconecting the UCA. I can't seem to get it to move, tried hammering it. Any other tips?

Old 10-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #16
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here is a pic of the bolts.

Now I have my front end partially taken apart and I am having trouble disconecting the UCA. I can't seem to get it to move, tried hammering it. Any other tips?

Using a puller is the proper way to go about things when removing the UCA from the spindle although you can get by with giving it a good hit with a hammer. Just be very careful not to damage the threads on the bolt. If you have a parts store that rents tools, a puller is well worth it if you are having a lot of trouble getting everything separated.

Did you get longer U bolts with the AAL? You shouldn't reuse the original U bolts, not to mention you will need extended U bolts. The ones you have in there dont quite look long enough from what I can see.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #17

Firefighter:
Not sure what a puller is. Do you have a picture? I was told that I did not need to get new u-bolts with this kit.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #18

Marines:
Yeah the u-bolts need to be longer. You can get the CO out in one piece. Here is the write up Chris did.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...g-removal.html
Old 10-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #19

Firefighter:
Yeah I am using that write up. I just can't seem to get the UCA bolt out.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Yeah I am using that write up. I just can't seem to get the UCA bolt out.
Place something on the bolt to protect it....hard platic, wood, etc....and wack it with the hammer.

And X3. Your U bolts are way to short.